Why is leaf bike 45mm wide stator motor (especially on 135mm) not more popular?

With so many people served by only one pedal gear I am surprised there hasn't been much (or any) talk of the leaf bike 45mm wide stator motor.

This especially as the wheel built on 135mm requires no dishing and could accommodate (frame chainstay clearance permitting) fat tires without resorting to wide q factor.

What am I missing here?

Is it too heavy? Does it use .5mm stator laminations? Phase wires too thin? Something else?

have you talked to them to confirm they have a 45mm wide motor and it's not a listing discrepancy?

Here is a 45mm wide stator motor that has single speed freewheel on 135mm rear spacing:

I don't see anything about disc brake not working as well.

Dishing offset per the dimensional diagram is 10mm :(

Last edited:
^-- no longer stocked.. notice there's no price

It's 42mm, not 45mm.

Not bad, if you're interested in the motor i could probably charm a dyno graph out of them.

If constructed anything like the 1.5kw motor it may put the QS motors to shame at that width.

Apparently no disc brake as well.

Bummer but the possible regen power potential on that motor would be enough to serve as the front and back brake, lol.

^-- no longer stocked.. notice there's no price

I just threw it up as an example.

Shame the dishing offset is 10mm.

According to the Grin spoke calculator that works out to a 75:25 spoke tension balance between the non drive side and the drive (i.e. the non drive side spokes will have a tension 3x higher than the drive side).

That is really really bad!!

Still waiting to find out more details about the leaf bike 42mm wide stator single speed freewheel with no disc brake.

With that noted the following motor is the standard by which I am judging so far:

The leaf bike wheel I am linking above has a 35mm stator, no dishing offset, single speed freewheel and functional disc brake.

The 1.85" wide aluminum moped rim even has 6mm spoke nipple holes. You can read why that is a good thing in the following article (scroll down to the part of the article called "Rims and Nipples"):

P.S. If anyone wanted to do a rotational inertia experiment you could even get the same rim in steel.

Last edited:
The price to get it home is 550.00 USD For 350.00usd I bought a Sali 72v 3,000 watt kit 135mm a mellow start controller but it's supposed to be waterproof ? I wish I had better startup speed but it does do 46 mph . Yes it's probably closer to a glorified yes come with display. It was supposed to have the new waterproof connectors but it had the old style stuff. Just saying inexpensive kit. Yes that was shipped. How much is a mxus kit ? From Mxus ? Leaf sounds good for a lighter 35 mm kit. But kind of expensive. Just like QS that has good quality but it has a 50 mm stator fit that in your bicycle. Too heavy.

Last edited:
Here you go I found a thread I did on it of course I think it's a lower quality than Leaf and Mxus maybe ?

Link is broken.

I assume this is what you meant to link:

Thanks for sharing. I find the topic of 45mm wide stator, single speed freewheel and disc brake on 135mm rear spacing extremely interesting.

Last edited:
According to leaf bike both the 35mm and 42mm single speed freewheel motors with 135mm rear spacing have no dishing offset. The 42mm does give up the disc brake but gains 10mm distance between spoke flanges (i e. 35mm stator version has 40mm distance between spoke flanges and the 42mm version has 50mm distance between spoke flanges).

So the 42mm ends up building a stiffer (and, of course, more powerful) rear wheel at the cost of giving up it's disc brake.

Last edited:
QS has a 40mm but uses the same clam shells as the 50mm and same axle and big price. Just as well get the full 50mm and is very heavy.

Yes thank you very much e-bike hand health as that was the link I was trying to set up.

Though we were talking about rear motors in this thread, it is also interesting to consider the 35mm leaf bike vs. 42mm leaf bike for front motors:

35mm or 42mm which one would you use for a fat fork front hub motor and why?

P.S. Not all bikes using a fat fork use fat tires. Some bikes use the fat fork for the other advantages it offers besides the ability to house a fat tire. Example below:

Last edited:
A motor this powerful will destroy any front suspension fork you throw at it, and you need full suspension at the speeds it's capable of moving you at - air in a tire isn't an adequate replacement for suspension with 100mm+ travel.

Leaf bike default winding is indeed fast, but they also list windings as slow as 25mph and even 15mph for both the 35mm and 42mm motors.

For me personally, I would not go over 30 mph with a rigid front fork.

With that mentioned, I guess it depends on how beefy the frame head tube, top tube, down tube and rigid fork are? Also how much am I carrying?

Last edited:
Push me pull you I rather be pushed with a rear motor.
You can always have both:

Front for better Regen (+ assistance when climbing) and rear for when heavier acceleration is needed. Both also working together for increased traction in loose conditions.

Furthermore, You could also do Dishless 135mm with single speed on the front and Dishless 135mm with a single speed on the rear. Both wheels are interchangeable and both could be fat tires assuming rear chainstay clearance is sufficient. This working with 68mm BB shell and narrow q factor crank.

(Pretty sweet for so many reasons IMO. Obviously the single speed on the front can't be used for pedaling but the combination offers so much redundancy.....you also only need one spoke size for both front and rear wheel. I would use such a combination as an adventure bike.)

P.S. The Surly Pugsley also had interchangeable front and rear disc brake wheels but used a offset to make it work because it used cassette gears rather than single speed.

Last edited:
Back