world acceleration record

LewTwo

1 MW
Electric car sets world acceleration record
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36606500
An electric racing car built by Swiss student engineers has broken the world record for acceleration by battery-powered vehicles.
The grimsel car took only 1.513 seconds to reach 100kph (62mph) - slashing about a quarter of a second off the previous record time.
So far, no petrol-powered production car has managed to hit the same speed in a comparable time.
The grimsel needed only 30m (98ft) of track to reach the landmark speed.
The previous record of 0-100kph in 1.779 seconds was set by a team from the University of Stuttgart last year. By comparison, the fastest production vehicle, the Porsche 918 Spyder hybrid, takes 2.2 seconds to reach the same speed.

OK, I know its got four wheels but is is electric and 100kph (62mph) in 1.513 seconds is something
... now if they would just lose two of those wheels.

Top fuel dragster times:

0 - 60 mph 0.2 (secs)
0 - 100 mph 0.8 (secs)
Top Speed 337 mph / 530 km/h
¼ MI ET/MPH 4.5 s @ 337 mph / 530 kmh
Horsepower 7000 - 8500 @ 8,000 rpm Torque 6000 lb-ft @ NA rpm

Bet that time was beat some time ago by an electric dragster, in the US.

Since that thing is no production car, it's needing to compete with dragsters, not production cars.

Yep, war is always meaner without rules. :twisted:

Top fuel drag still wins over electric, but in a few years we will see some real E-dragsters beat them all fuel suckers. :wink:

The article never mentioned Guiness record, or even student car record. Just world record, which is what made me laugh my ass off. Soon as I saw the tires I knew it couldn't possibly be beating the record for an electric dragster.

Bet it's fun to drive though.

MadRhino said:
Yep, war is always meaner without rules. :twisted:

Top fuel drag still wins over electric, but in a few years we will see some real E-dragsters beat them all fuel suckers. :wink:

Yes!!!

Someone just needs to do it!

The headline leaves out "for battery powered vehicles" that ends the sentence down in the article. And it well may be the world record for that particular series of student competitions. Either way, 0 to 60 in less than 100' is pretty quick!

NEDRA is for battery powered vehicles, so even that phrase still doesn't get them a world acceleration record for that type of EV, AFAIK.. ;)

Back