Would you group buy for 18650 LG HB6 - True 30A CDR - 1.5Ah?

Vanarian

10 kW
Hi guys

I might be able to organize a group buy for authentic LG HB6 18650 cells, there is also a window for LG HB2 cells.

Both are Li-Ion cells with 1500mAh and 30A true continuous discharge rate, HB6 is the best of the two. These are the only cells rated and tested and confirmed for this discharge rate with normal operating temperature and no damage sure to over discharging. All other available cells are rated for less or overrated.

Downside is : capacity is on the low side so for your board you want to make minimum a 2P whatever your voltage is (6S? 8S? 10S? 12S?) but you will obtain Lipo performance with 18650 flexibility and Li-Ion safety! Cycles are better than Lipo too :D

Price should not exceed 2.8-3$ / cell at worst plus shipping, I'm trying my best to lower the price. Minimum quantity will be 100 and I plan to get 40. For best prices we need at least 200 IMO.

If you are interested please post here or PM me, I'll open a thread in the for sale section of there is enough interest.

Edit : here is testing data
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/lg-hb6-30a-1500mah-18650-bench-test-results-better-than-sx30-at-25a.682205/

discharge vs. capacity tradeoff does not work for me, its not even half of what many other decent cells offer. this looks like a very special cell tuned for discharge and discharge only. you want it for small-sized batteries in your inline skate project?

Guys you're missing the point : a123 cells are WAY MORE expensive (almost 3x the price), also voltage is LiFepo4 so 3.3/3.6V instead of 3.7/4.2V per cell, and capacity is 2500mAh?

Let's say one 26650 is 73g and two 18650 are 40g, 73 vs 80g for 7 more grams you are at 3.7V and 3000mAh instead of 3.3V and 2500mAh. You still get the same continuous discharge power!

And I'm pretty sure that you lose the weight you'd gain with one 26650 vs two 18650 once you add up Lifepo cells to obtain same voltage. So in the end the LG cells would be lighter.

I don't understand how I'm the only one to think these are jewels, am I the only one who want a dragster like power in ultra compact layouts?

Whitepony is right I got interested in these because I want compact power, but hey with 20 cells for one skate I get around 100Wh and batteries are able to pull continuously 2000W for as much cycles as Lithium manganese chemistry can offer? That's close to 1000 cycles, less than unkillable LifePo4 but way more than couple hundred cycles of LiPo!

Vapping guys like the discharge but hate the low capacity, which is understandable because they can't do much paralleling... but we can with our boards! Please note that there are also HB2 cells which might cost 2$ each max if we groupsale! Please find me cheaper cells with this kind of power at this price. I know you won't, I tried a LOT before finding these. :|

if you do the math, they are both at the same gravimetric density of 108wh/kg. So they are of equal weight if you have equal capacity. And if voltage is lower you can just increase the number of cells...

Where did you find 1000 cycle at 30A discharge? I'd be very surprised to see that as most of them only get around 250 cycles to 70% capacity when discharge is high.

I'll search again and post what I saw because 250 cycles is equivalent to Lipo, you're confusing me a bit :shock: no offense meant, I might really have overlooked number cycles given different discharge tests. Because from what I saw back then, apart from quick drop because of low capacity, there were no damages at CDR high discharge given that no pulse are made past the CDR.

Your maths contain a mistake too. a123 systems is 3.3V 2.5Ah 70A CDR 76g / cell, LG HB6 is 3.7 1.5Ah 30A CDR 43g / cell. Let's choose a 50.4V setup, you need 12 LG cells and 14 a123 systems 26650 cells to get it.

a123 1p = 14x 76g = 1064g for 50.4V 2.5Ah
HB6 2P = 12x2x 43g = 1032g for 50.4V 3Ah

You get 500mAh more for 32g less. Not even talking about price difference.

This looks like a pretty good deal but i would go with higher capacity over high discharge.

A quick search shows the lg 18650 hb2 3000mah 20A discharge.

if you do 12s2p, you can still get the 40A needed to get to 2kw :twisted:
but with double(if not more) range.

100whr seems like alot for such a small package but if you actually use the power, your ride is over in 20-30 minutes.

saul said:
This looks like a pretty good deal but i would go with higher capacity over high discharge.

A quick search shows the lg 18650 hb2 3000mah 20A discharge.

if you do 12s2p, you can still get the 40A needed to get to 2kw :twisted:
but with double(if not more) range.

100whr seems like alot for such a small package but if you actually use the power, your ride is over in 20-30 minutes.

You're right for 12S, the HG2 or even the 25R would nicely fit the bill at 2P, considering I get 5 or 6 Ah/skate against 3Ah /skate.

But I currently gun at 10S, 12S will come later (well you know how little space I have available :p ) and for 10S the HB2/HB6 still offer me 126Wh per feet and 2kw per feet where in 10S HG2 and 25R bottleneck me at 1.6kw per feet.

Really these would come handy for the lightweight dragster. I see my skates as a 4kw 10S4P build, others cells would drastically add to my range but also lower it at 3.2kw 10S4P. Oh well, as long as I get them to run I won't be picky :lol:

Though if people prefer HG2 over these, I might try to see if I can get low price per cell on these too. Why not try :wink:

Back