How to use Lyen's tester to match motor/controller phases

mlt34

100 kW
I just got one of Lyen's motor and controller testers but I don't quite understand how to use it to match a motor and controller's hall and phase combinations. For example, if someone hands me a brand new motor and controller, how can I use it to determine the right combo of phase and hall colors without trying 36 combinations by hand like is normally necessary? I asked Lyen, and he sent me this copy/paste answer which I didn't quite get the answer to my question from, and he hasn't responded in about a week to followups.

The tester LEDs are divided into 4 groups:
1. First three LEDs from the top left is for the motor phase wire (marked as Y, G, B)
2. The second row is the motor hall sensor (marked as Y, G, B)
3. The first LED on third row is for the hall angle. Lights on = 60 degree, off = 120 degree
The second LED on third row is the power on. It is not necessary to turn the power on when testing the motor phase wires and controller phase wires
The third LED on third row is for throttle. The colour should change when the throttle is being turned
4. The circle of seven LEDs on the right are for the controller phase rotation testing. The middle LED labeled "5V" is for voltage from the controller to the hall sensors inside the motor. It should light up when the hall sensor connector is plugged in from the controller. The other 6 LEDs in the circle will light up either clockwise or anti clockwise to indicate motor rotation direction as the throttle is applied.

Wires:
The far left set is to the throttle (red=positive, black=negative, blue=throttle hall)
The second set (yellow, green, blue) is to the phase wires of the motor
The third with five wires is to the hall sensor connector of the motor
The fourth set (yellow, green, blue) is to the controller phase output
The fifth set with five wires is to the hall sensor connector of the controller

Procedure to test the motor phase wires.
1. Connect only the 3 phase wires from the motor to the tester, with the tester OFF.
2. Rotate the motor in forward position [Note. For MAC/CMA geared hub motor you need to rotate the wheel backwards]
3. Determine if all three LED lights blink on and off. If one or more LEDs do not light up then there may be a broken / open circuit phase wire. [Note. For MAC/CMA geared hub motor they may all light at once]
4. If all three LEDs blink, then verify if they blink in sequence. The sequence should be from left to right for forward motion/rotation.

Procedure to test the motor hall sensors and wires.
1. Connect only the hall sensor connector from the motor to the tester and turn the tester ON. (You may need to remove the white plastic connectors in order to test some brushless motors. To do so, pinch the pins from the holes to remove them. Also, you may need to use additional alligator clips to connect to wires to the motor.)
2. Rotate the motor in forward position
3. Determine if all three LED lights blink on and off. If one or more LEDs do not light up then the hall sensor is dead or the wire may be a broken / open circuit.
4. If all three LEDs blink, then verify if they blink in sequence. The sequence should be from left to right for forward motion/rotation

Procedure to test the controller and throttle
1. Connect throttle to the controller
2. Connect the phase and hall wires from the controller to the tester
3. Connect the battery pack to the controller
4. Turn the tester ON
5. Verify the 5V led light is on in the centre of the circle of rotation LEDs. If the 5V LED is off then the controller is NOT supplying 5V to the motor hall sensors.
6. Verify the throttle LED is green. If the LED is not green or does not light then the throttle wires or hall sensor may be open or short circuit.
7. Slowly turn the throttle
8. Verify the throttle green LED turns off at about 1/2 throttle and lights up red at WOT. If the LED does not change colour then the throttle is faulty.
9. Verify the rotation LED lights are on and rotate [Note. a pair of opposing LEDs light at a time as they rotate]

To anyone that can help me figure out how to use the thing to match hall and motor phases, I'd appreciate it.

Can't be done as far as i know, but it will tell you which ones are broken. 36 combos is our destiny in my experience.

ian.mich said:
Can't be done as far as i know, but it will tell you which ones are broken. 36 combos is our destiny in my experience.

shoot, are you serious? That was the main reason I bought it. I know it tests lots of other things but I was so excited to finally have the golden tool to stop playing with 36 combos...

mlt34 said:
ian.mich said:

shoot, are you serious? That was the main reason I bought it. I know it tests lots of other things but I was so excited to finally have the golden tool to stop playing with 36 combos...
nah it really doesent tell you much besides what works and what doesnt. it would be nice if it did tell us the combos.

Back