Cogging at mid throttle

Hi Folks, I was having hall issues with my motor so decided to upgrade from the 6fet china controller to a lyen 12fet sensorless controller. I doubled the phase wires, got rid of the halls and wired it all back up. I was expecting a little cogging at low speeds but there isn't any, A little way into the test run I opened it up and at about half throttle it cogs bad. I did a little reading up and only find cogging issues at low speed (pulling away), I have read on an RC forum that the battery could be at fault (not enough juice). Has anyone else experienced this or dealt with it? My next port of call is to double up the AH of the batts in the hope to relieve this.
My setup is:

golden motor (not pie) in 20" wheel
lyen 12fet sensorless
72v 5ah batt

Is it a simple case of need more battery?

Thanks in advance
Matt.

littleskull99 said:
Hi Folks, I was having hall issues with my motor so decided to upgrade from the 6fet china controller to a lyen 12fet sensorless controller. I doubled the phase wires, got rid of the halls and wired it all back up. I was expecting a little cogging at low speeds but there isn't any, A little way into the test run I opened it up and at about half throttle it cogs bad. I did a little reading up and only find cogging issues at low speed (pulling away), I have read on an RC forum that the battery could be at fault (not enough juice). Has anyone else experienced this or dealt with it? My next port of call is to double up the AH of the batts in the hope to relieve this.
My setup is:

golden motor (not pie) in 20" wheel
lyen 12fet sensorless
72v 5ah batt

Is it a simple case of need more battery?

Thanks in advance
Matt.

It could be just the battery. Lyen programs a Low voltage cut off in his controllers. If your battery is unable to keep up with the current, then the voltage will sag, fall below the LVC, so the controller will cut out, with the throttle cut, the voltage climbs back up, the controller throttles again only to have the battery voltage sag. And it can oscillate like that giving the feeling of cogging.

Whats the C rating of your 5ah battery? Lyen's controller should be a 40 amp minimum. So your 5ah battery would need minimum of a 8C rating. And that would be using the battery to its rated limit, which is not always good as battery manufacturers tend to always exaggerate those ratings.

Wishes

Im still getting the mid throttle stutter thing goin on. Im begining to think its the controller. Im currently at 72v 10ah and same problem. I need to go sensorless with another motor to see if its a sensorless thing or that particular esc. I can ride it just under the stutter but twist the throttle too fast and it hicups/stutter/stall/cogs.. anyone else had this issue with sensorless?

Matt

I have a 9c 12 fet Lyen Sensor less set up. If I run at 36V there is no problems with shuttering at all, at 72 V it shutters with aggressive throttle. If you have a Cycle Analyst you can limit the current and help to reduce the shuttering.

I have bought a throttle box upgrade from ES member Gwhy|. Which eliminated the shuttering by allowing a smooth throttle signal to the controller. I now get silky smooth throttle with NO shuttering at all.

Back