Best dual-purpose mtb/street tire???

+1 Maxxis Holy Rollers, I used schwable crazy bob's and they had bad traction, slipped on anything loose on the ground.
Maxxis rolls just as good as the crazy bob's but has alot better traction in gravel, loose dirt and soon will find out about snow, Crazy bob's where dangerous in snow.
One thing about Maxxis Holy Rollers which is a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it, is that the tires wear out faster. One 9 month season and I have to get new tires.
Still very happy with it but also open minded to new suggestions for tires

Racer_X said:
+1 Maxxis Holy Rollers, I used schwable crazy bob's and they had bad traction, slipped on anything loose on the ground.
Maxxis rolls just as good as the crazy bob's but has alot better traction in gravel, loose dirt and soon will find out about snow, Crazy bob's where dangerous in snow.
One thing about Maxxis Holy Rollers which is a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it, is that the tires wear out faster. One 9 month season and I have to get new tires.
Still very happy with it but also open minded to new suggestions for tires

Very cool to get an answer from someone with experience with these tires because I'm just about to try them for mtb/road myself.
But yeah I'm open to other suggestions too.

Though I haven't run that exact tire, I have run a tire with that same type of tread. It was my favorite till it wore out.

I now use tread that is for pure dirt, and tolerate how it rides street. I just needed all the tire I could get for the dirt parts of the ride. But I'd have to say, that looks perfect for a tire to run street, and dirt roads. But for serious trail, it will slow down your response to steering imputs compared to a pure dirt tread.

It is after all, the same as the classic enduro tread for motorcycles, so the same thing will happen there. It will be good enough on street and good enough on dirt, but not perfect on either. Definitely a winner for a compromise tire.

8blockb-670-75.jpg

Kenda Small Block 8 DTC is good a compromise too, more sticky in the mountain than the Holly Roller, yet very smooth on the street.

I was looking at the Holy Roller as a winter tire to put on the rear 24" hub cos I can't source a wide enough studded tire. The rear hub has the Kris Holm rim; I don't want to re-spoke it for a narrower rim. I don't mind it being sticky; more the better for my wintery needs 8)

~KF

Kingfish said:
...I don't mind it being sticky; more the better for my wintery needs 8)

~KF
Soft and sticky tires don't do good on ice and snow. In the winter I ride high PSI.

If you plan to stud a wide tire yourself, you don't want a sticky folder. The harder and thicker the better, for studs don't hold so well on a soft gum tire. You need a beaded tire with strong walls and thick hard sole with big blocks. Look at those mud tires from Hutchinson, they do good on the snow and can hold Kold Cutter studs.

s1600_hutchinson_mud.jpg

briogio said:
Having done lots of research, my vote's on Maxxis Holy Rollers.

A great tire for both on and off road, to bad they no longer make a 24 X 2.5" size for a Stealth bike. So if you wish to try a set buy them now while they still can be found.

MadRhino said:
Kingfish said:
...I don't mind it being sticky; more the better for my wintery needs 8)

~KF
Soft and sticky tires don't do good on ice and snow. In the winter I ride high PSI.

If you plan to stud a wide tire yourself, you don't want a sticky folder. The harder and thicker the better, for studs don't hold so well on a soft gum tire. You need a beaded tire with strong walls and thick hard sole with big blocks. Look at those mud tires from Hutchinson, they do good on the snow and can hold Kold Cutter studs.

fire_fr.jpg

I couldn't source the Hutchinson in a 26" or 24" that looked like the one in the picture. This evening when consulting with one of my favorite local shops, they suggested a good candidate would be the Panaracer Fire FR 24" x 2.4, and so that's what I ordered for the rear rim. I'll have to double-check if it's the black or red sidewall. So that's the rear taken care of; looking forward to putting on a few Kold Cutter studs :) Just need to sort out the front now.

Cheers, KF

http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS-TIRESBMX/442008/Subrosa_Grave_Digger_Tire.html#

For a high torque rear hub wheel, I'm considering the widest, tallest, heaviest 20" BMX tire I can find: The Subrosa Gravedigger.

Mounted diameter is 20.9" and measured width is 64mm. Given its volume I'm guessing that at its rated 85psi it can support a considerable load.

Anyone know anything about this tire?

+10 on the Holy Roller, I run them on my XC mtbike and cant say enough about these tires.

Hutchinson Piranha - light with the lowest rolling resistance, excelent in tarmac, dry gravel but stay out of the mud, wet gravel.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 5,536
sjacome said:
Hutchinson Piranha - light with the lowest rolling resistance, excelent in tarmac, dry gravel but stay out of the mud, wet gravel.

Hey thanks sjacome! that does look like a great dual purpose tire, I love the agressive side knobs for cornering something the Holly rollers DONT have. Hope they make them bigger than 2" :roll:

I'm looking at a more 50% dirt/grass - 50% road tire now and it seems the holly roller may be a good tire. This post was made a couple of years ago and was wondering if the holly roller is still a good bet or if there are other better tires out there now?

I'm looking for a wider tire so want a tire that is around at least a 26 x 2.4.

My current tires (CST Cyclops), I got because I originally thought I would do 90% road and 10% dirt, but have been doing more dirt / grass. To get to the dirt I have to drive on concrete so do not want to go full dirt.

I also recently crashed my bike into a tree after running over a 2" or so stick in the ground. The CST Cyclops have never failed me on the dirt/grass until my last crash. Not sure if more dirt oriented tires could have helped me here as my rear tire got thrown to the side fast after hitting that stick.

The fingers said:
There apparantly are some voids waiting to be filled in the tire market for a more complete variety of solutions to the application you describe. :(

I think what we need is a knobby tire that has a hard rubber compound that will not wear away quickly. My hubmotor tire wears super quick compared to my front tire.

If a knobby tire didn't wear away super fast on concrete I would just use knobby tires all the time and do not care about the decreased performance on concrete.

I think the holly rollers is the best compromise here? Its like a partial knobby tire that will not wear away super fast?

My rear tires usually wear out twice as fast as the fronts. My flats almost always happen on the rear also. I weigh a lot though, and even with the DD motor in front my lead bottom and the battery lead balances it out nicely stem to stern. :oops:
I actually worry that a much lighter battery might make it steer fork heavy. :lol:
I would really like to see the Specialized Armadillo kevlar belt tire in a 26 x 2.5 " size. 8)

Back