Advice on belts and pulleys for EV drive

Mikel

1 µW
Hi, I'd be grateful for any advice on the drive for a scratch-build lightweight EV.

Fixed specifications:
• Vehicle gross weight target 300 kg
• Motor specs 18 kW max, 4 kW continuous, 19 mm shaft
• Motor max RPM 4400
• Probable two stage reduction
• Overall reduction between 3.5 and 3.9 fold

Questions.
• toothed or non-toothed belts? Or a mixture of them one for either stage? What is the noise difference? What is the risk of excessive slipping considering that stage 2 the final drive will not be protected from the elements - road splash and rain?  A certain degree of slip is acceptable, but I do not want a squeaky 'fan belt situation' every time it gets damp.
• Belt width suitable for application?
• Minimum arc/curve for belt of this suitable thickness? What's smallest diameter I can make any of the pulleys for the appropriate belt?
• Are steel or aluminium pulleys recommended?

Can anyone point me to a good supplier ... I've approached several now and disappointed with help to approach my application.

Thanks,

Mikel

Just from what I've seen out there for a "final drive" situation you will almost always see toothed belts. You see them on Harleys and Zero electric motorcycles directly driving the rear wheel. I have seen "V belts" on electric vehicles but only if the belt or belts are driving some kind of gear reduction that will then drive the wheels. For example, some golf carts will have a DC motor sitting on top of an rear end differential where the motor will drive a pair of v belts (usually "B" size belts) which drive the input shaft of the differential. The differential acts like a gear reducer which, in turn, drives the wheels at a slower rpm. Because of the gear reduction, less torque is needed from the drive belts and thus you can get away with belts that would slip otherwise.

As for a suppliers, I would see if there is a Bearing Engineering, Grainger, or a MSC store in your area. Of the three the Bearing Engineering guys would probably be best able to answer questions.

Thanks for that information edcastrovalley, very helpful. I'm leaning towards using a friction V belt for the first stage with most of the reduction, where a little bit of slip is acceptable (actually probably a good thing) and it's easier to protect from moisture, then a toothed belt like a synchronous 'timing' belt for the second stage. For those who are interested I found this handy site ... http://www.gizmology.net/pulleysbelts.htm

Back