1,000lb "Elec-tow’d” Electric Tow’d Dune Buggy Build Thread

hillzofvalp said:
DRIVE IT! video!
:lol: I wish it was that easy, but I'm with you! :D

eTrike said:
Looks great! Would you please share your source for your new headlight?
Thanks eTrike, glad to! I bought the "ORA-575-36W" headlight on ebay from seller "octane lighting", but it doesn't look like they have any more listed at the moment. Here is a link to what I thought was the manufacturer's product page, although this one has high and low beams, wheras mine is unibeam:

http://www.oraclelights.com/automot...-Road-Lights/534-36W-LED-Headlamp-Replacement

The fingers said:
If you can't find black trim nuts for the light switches, judiciously use a black Sharpie on them. Should tone them down some. :wink:

Thanks for the suggestion. That trick did not work out for me on the chips around the LED holes, but maybe it would work better on an even surface. I could simply paint the nuts black, but that work will be in the pile of tasks I'll tackle after I get the tow'd on the street.

I've had some wins and losses this week, I've gotten everyting on the 12v system working and tested - lights, taillights, turn signals, contactors, fans, controller logic power, etc etc. With working systems, it is starting to feel like a car again.

Throughout the project I have been working the low-hanging fruit, so now I am cycling back to the tasks that are more onerous. I resolved most of them in the past week or so, and the only big projects I have left to be able to street the car are:

1) Throttle - I was unable to sort out a way to mount the throttle directly like I did on the bus, so I designed a mount for the PB-6 throttle and obtained the materials, I hope to mill it this weekend. This one will be a real challange.

2) RS-232 connection - the (B-) power cable obstructs the rs-232 connector on the controller, but the controller offers a remote rs-232 through the J1 connector, so I ran wires from it to the dashboard.

I spent hours looking for the programming software, more trying unsuccesfully to get it to work... Finally I turned the car around so my serial cable could reach the serial port on the controller's faceplate, disconnected the B- cable so I could get the connector, and successfully programmed the controller. Now that I knew my setup could program the controller I tried the remote RS-232 connector again, but still couldn't get it to work even after swapping the RX/TX lines.

Fany at Kelly said the wires to the J1 connector probably were not connected at the factory, but the controller is out of warrantee, so he suggested I remove the faceplate and run jumpers from the faceplate connector to the J1 connector. I don't want to risk screwing up the controller, so I am going to make a low-profile "connector" instead.

3) Hook Up 150v power cables, insulate and shield them. To minimize the risk from an energized high voltage system, This will be the last thing I do before the body goes on full time.

4) Permanently install body - install gearshift train, wire clutch, connect parking brake and master cylinder, test (re-engineer?) brake reservoir, mount rollbars/nosecone/rear fenders. I can't tell if this will be quick or complicated, but if history is the guide, every single step so far has taken 4x my estimates.

There is a much longer list of things I need to work on, that are NOT cricial path for getting the tow'd on the street: such as encoder, turn signals on side mirrors, hazard switch, parking lights, roll bar lights, re-plumb brake lines, etc etc etc.

Anyhow, on to the pics:

View attachment 21

02WP_20140628_15_08_46_Pro__highres.jpg

View attachment 19

05WP_20140628_15_48_45_Pro__highres.jpg

06WP_20140628_17_09_23_Pro__highres.jpg

07WP_20140704_16_31_42_Pro__highres.jpg

View attachment 15

11WP_20140630_15_37_44_Pro__highres.jpg

12WP_20140630_17_48_32_Pro__highres.jpg

View attachment 12

file.php

Back side of the insert, the angled section for the taillight bulb is more apparent here.

15WP_20140701_11_35_21_Pro__highres.jpg

16WP_20140630_17_40_00_Pro__highres.jpg

View attachment 8

18 WP_20140701_11_15_32_Pro__highres.jpg

19WP_20140701_11_31_54_Pro__highres.jpg

25WP_20140701_11_43_44_Pro__highres.jpg

26WP_20140701_11_46_01_Pro__highres.jpg

30WP_20140704_07_39_57_Pro__highres.jpg

View attachment 2

32WP_20140704_14_55_37_Pro__highres.jpg

35WP_20140706_13_08_49_Pro.jpg

Please ignore this duplicate picture:

Attachments

• 14WP_20140630_17_19_39_Pro__highres.jpg
    14WP_20140630_17_19_39_Pro__highres.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 6,080
recumpence said:
So, any updates?
Hi Matt! I am honored that someone with your exceptional fabrication skills would take an interest in my kludge. :D Finally, yes, I have an update. It took me a while to sort out what I was going to build for the throttle, and waiting for parts, and trying to make some free time to enjoy a nice summer. Anyhow, here we go:

00IMG_5230.JPG

01aIMG_5231.JPG

View attachment 27

01c cable clamp.jpg

02IMG_5235.JPG

03IMG_5238.JPG

04IMG_5353.JPG

10IMG_5461.JPG

11IMG_5463.JPG

file.php

Here is the throttle pedal bolt with the cable and clamp and lots of nuts.

15IMG_5513.JPG

16IMG_5514.JPG

17IMG_5515.JPG

18IMG_5516.JPG

19IMG_5521.JPG

View attachment 14

25IMG_5612.JPG

26IMG_5613.JPG

View attachment 11

31IMG_5626.JPG

32IMG_5633.JPG

33IMG_5646.JPG

34IMG_5664.JPG

View attachment 6

36IMG_5696.JPG

37IMG_5699.JPG

38IMG_5706.JPG

39IMG_5707.JPG

View attachment 1

[youtube]l4zrSUk487g[/youtube]

And now for the money shot - the motor spinning up, verifying everything from my throttle setup to the power connection. I made sure the clutch was out (no cable, had to block it out) first, as I have no brake pedal yet. No, this does not mean the car is ready to drive yet. :lol: The thing you see spinning on the end is the trigger for the encoder that will eventually send RPM pulses to the tachometer.
file.php

I made a plate in sketchup to mount the pickup for the encoder, and ordered it from bigbluesaw on their sale. Simon had problems with sketchup models when he cut my controller plate, discovered when my models were too large to upload, and ran it through some smoothing software and it came out perfect. I didn't think to ask him to do it this time, so that could be the problem.

Unfortunately, all the precision holes in my plate came out like this, like two circles with slightly different centers, so I can't tap them for bolts. I might try to drill new holes, which will be a pain to locate, or I might just make it from scratch. I'm more interested in getting the car running than worrying about RPM, so this task goes on the back burner.

Next up: Mounting the body, connecting the parking brake/shifter/clutch, sorting out the master cylinder/brake reservoir, and permenantly mounting the PB-6 throttle plate.

Please Ignore these duplicate pictures:

Attachments

• 45IMG_5395.JPG
    45IMG_5395.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,674
I was able to test the CycleAnalyst after hooking up 150v power, but it has issues. Without the controller even powered on, the CA shows a discharge that varies from -2000w to +50w, mostly in the negative, which sounds sorta like reversed sense wires. I am a little worried because I saw voltage to the chassis when connecting the battery ground, but it couldn't make a light bulb glow let alone deliver 2,000w, so I think this is a configuration problem and not a stray current problem.

It could be that when I added polyfuses to the sense wires, I hooked them up backwards, even though I am pretty sure I did not. Before I started ripping out wires, I upgraded the CA to current firmware, and used the setup utility to make sure I was loading the correct parameters. It took me a little while to find the USB programmer, download the current updater and setup utilities and firmware, and configure it all on a notebook, but it was impressively easy to use, thanks Justin for making my favorite EV product/accessory even favoriter.

I found that if I zero'd amps in setup, the fluctuations would be much smaller, but after a reboot the fluctations came back. I bought another CAV3 at the same time as the one I was using, swapped it in, updated firmware/setup, and still the same behaviour. Dammit, looks like I need to rip out wires, but I am going to think on this issue a little longer.

Instead, I decided to tackle an issue I have been avoiding; perhaps I should say, I ran out of tasks that I was avoiding more than this issue. I have been working the low-hanging fruit throughout this project, trying to progress it as best I can with so little time. That means everything with a high potential for suck and hassle got pushed to the end, and that is pretty much all I have been working for the past few months. Anyhow, I moved onto the brakes, and the reservoir "upgrade" that got knocked off by the steering arm a few months back.

00WP_20140816_14_00_37_Pro__highres.jpg

01WP_20140816_14_48_45_Pro__highres.jpg

View attachment 9

03IMG_5817.JPG

05IMG_5829 old blue.JPG

file.php

I was planning on leaving the emerging orange paint around the pedal area alone, but it looked so bad in pictures I thought I'd see how some black paint blended in. I masked off the area where the paint had come up - and specially/specifically covered the area with the original B.F. Meyers shipping label - and went rattle-can crazy.

07IMG_5834.JPG

08WP_20140818_05_31_01_Pro__highres.jpg

09IMG_5838.JPG

10WP_20140818_05_31_11_Pro__highres.jpg

11IMG_5824.JPG

12WP_20140810_08_16_27_Pro__highres.jpg
Please ignore this duplicate picture:

Attachments

• 06IMG_5832.JPG
    06IMG_5832.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 5,855
My plan all along has been to keep the original patina on this dune buggy. The conversion project itself was a big enough time suck, I knew if I went down the path of restoration, I would need to make every nut and bolt perfect, and it would take forever. Instead I was targeting the look of a buggy that had been converted decades ago, but well maintained and still running strong.

However, I was so pleased by the little section I painted last week that I decided to paint the whole body the same flat black. I also decided to paint the observable areas of the battery box flat black too, so it would disappear instead of standing out like I originally planned. Much of the paint had worn off the frame where it chafes against the fiberglass body exposing patches of metal, so I decided I would paint it too, but gloss so it would be harder to wear off.
00WP_20140824_10_06_31_Pro__highres.jpg

01WP_20140824_10_10_39_Pro__highres.jpg

03WP_20140824_12_41_52_Pro__highres.jpg

04WP_20140824_12_43_35_Pro__highres.jpg

05WP_20140824_12_41_28_Pro__highres.jpg

10WP_20140824_15_13_35_Pro__highresb.jpg

15WP_20140824_13_23_10_Pro__highres.jpg

View attachment 2

24WP_20140824_13_24_50_Pro__highres.jpg

25WP_20140824_13_23_00_Pro__highres.jpg

front passenger WP_20140903_17_52_34_Pro__highres.jpg
IT'S ALIVE !
Today I "finished" the Tow'd - and took it for a spin around my block. It is a car again, rendered whole from a pile of parts. 8) Everything is bolted down and operational, some things need tuning, and I have some "stretch goal" tasks like hooking up the encoder for the tach etc. This week has been a long hard work effort (aka 'staycation' aka 'retirement practice') to get the Tow'd to this point, so it'll be a few days before I recover, sort some details out, and put together video. Here is a teaser of some photos taken right before my ride - in fact, it pulled out to this spot under its own power! :mrgreen: Thanks for being patient with me through this 15 month process, I hope to have more for you soon! :wink:

-JD

EDIT: Mrs. Oatnet just walked up behind me, read this, and said: "Mrs. Oatnet is quite ready for this project to be done."

front drivers WP_20140903_18_50_25_Pro__highres.jpg

side drivers WP_20140903_18_50_41_Pro__highres.jpg

rear drivers WP_20140903_18_50_34_Pro__highres.jpg

Well done on a great project and thanks for the detailed build thread. I'm looking forward to the drive report and seeing some pictures of it "in the wild".

Congratulations
Giles.

I've been following this for a longtime now OATNET! woooooooot!
Totally Awesome!
I cant wait until I get to do my Car Conversion!
It's great to see your vision come to life!

Well done!

Tommy L sends....

Wow, thanks for the nice comments guys! :D I never got around to posting my "pre-ride final assembly" writeup, so it is attached below, with an update on current status to follow.

I sorted out the problem I had with the CA showing a fluctuating 2kw to +200w load at rest. I cut the silicone open on the shunt, took the S+ wire off, and ohmed it back to pin 4, not pin 3 so I wired the plug up wrong. I pushed pins 3/4 out of the connector, swapped them, and voila the CA worked fine. Unfortunately I broke the leg on the 2a polyfuse at the shunt while removing it, and spent almost 2 hours looking for the bag of polyfuses before giving up (they turned up 5 minutes after I implemented the final fix). Since I couldn't find new ones, I soldered the legs back on the polyfuse, and it ohmed out OK but when attached the CA problem returned - . I ended up using a giant blade fuse holder with 10ga wire (1A fuse) instead, bulky but it works.

Another thing that was holding me back was cell #34. When all the other cells balanced, it did not. The cells on either side were increasing in voltage, so I started charging #34 with a 2a voltphreaks SSC via some alligator clips. When the light eventually went green, voltage tested at 3.68v; when I disconnected the charger, voltage dropped immediately to 3.34v, instead of staying put like all my other a123. Uh-Oh.

After trying to charge it a few more times, I did a discharge test, and got only @43ah from it. Interestingly, the cell popped back up to 3+v the next day. I put it back on the charger and started looking for ways to parallel an identical 20ah cells with #34. I was able to drill a hole in the tab material to insert a solder-soaked wire, but I couldn't heat it up enough to melt the solder. However, inserting a screw into the hole with the wire bolted it down nicely. I resolved to put (8) 14ga wires into each tab "module", for an effective 8ga wire, and sandwich the cell between some 0.25" plywood with nylock nuts.

Then it occurred to me that my alligator clip connection might not be letting much current get through, so I plugged a voltphreaks directly into the cell. It didn't look like anything was happening but after a week of intermittent charges (only while I was home), suddenly it was charged up to 3.68v, holding charge afterwards, and tracking at the same voltage as the other cells during discharge/charge testing. THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH CELL #34 :lol: I got myself spun up about nothing. As I think back, I might have done a discharge test of that cell when it was delivered, and lost track of charging it fully back up; the only problem was that the alligator clips had a contact patch inadequate for charging. I wasted a lot of time planning a booster cell I hope I'll never need, but it sure beats the alternative.

Another issue: the shifter was loose and rattly, Turns out the bushing had slipped out from between the shift shaft and its collar. I was able to unbolt the collar from the center plate and get the bushing remounted, again "without having to take everything apart - whew." Though much much better the shift shaft is still clunky, I might be able to tweak it a little better, but maybe I need to re-engineer it.

01IMG_6011.JPG

02IMG_6019.JPG

file.php

I originally intended to duct tape this across the back of the battery box too, but I opted to make the tarp long enough that it would cover the contactors/fuses/battery terminals too.

View attachment 2

05pedals afterIMG_6032.JPG

06IMG_6027.JPG

I put together a procedure that details everything that I need to do to be able to lift the body to service the battery or controller. It was a long and difficult process to take it off the first time, so throughout this project I overbuilt things assuming that I might never be able to get to them again. Now that I know (a) how everything comes apart and (b) what things can stay on and still fit the body, I am pleased to see it is much simpler than I feared - an afternoon project, maybe an hour or two with practice.

PROCEDURE TO LIFT BODY FOR FULL ACCESS:
=========================================================================
Remove nosecone side support bolts to clear body during lift
.....Nosecone has otherwise cleared in the past
Unbolt master cylinder at front of pedal box, 2 bolts
Feed charger wires through hole in trunk to add clearance when lifted
Remove rear fender
..... 4 bolts through rear fender and "trunk"
..... ..... Bolt, washer, washer, lock washer, nut
..... Remove Bolt through support arm on each fender scoop, and loosen support arms
..... I stored rear fender on its side before
2 Screws, 1 through each seatbelt into side of body and frame
Unbolt seatbelts from roll bar, large nut each side
remove roll bar
..... 4 bolts withwashers underneath
..... pull and disconnect brake light wire at anderson
Loosen Parking brake wires from underneath
..... Three clamps on each side, leave hanging but completely free wire for slack
..... ..... smaller center first
..... ..... larger outsides second
Loosen Bolt through tail end of shift shaft from underneath
Remove stickshift, 2 bolts, spring and floating plate
..... Lifts straight up, notice pin on shift ball pointing forwards
Slide shift shaft forward to clear battery box during lift
Edge up one rear corner of body (passenger?) to clear taillight brace
A tug should be able to lift clear of rollbar bolts and other taillight brace
Brace a 16" 4x4 bottom from front of trunk to center of back frame rear
========================================================================

CURRENT REPORT - THE BAD NEWS:

I babied it on the test drive that first night, I was exhausted and since it was a new build I was too worried about bits falling off or catching fire to push it. I noticed the throttle seemed less twitchy than I expected, the speedo and odometer weren't working, and the CA was only registering 16amps.

The next day, I went out again for a real-world range test, pushing it as hard as I could. This showed it had a power issue, the tow'd was VERY slow off the line. The peak voltage drop was @2v over 42 cells, or only .05v/cell, which told me not many amps were flowing, maybe 16a was correct! Back to the drawing board...

-I thought maybe I wired up the motor temp controller wrong, and it was telling the controller to run in limp mode because the motor was overheating, so I unplugged the cable and turned off motor temp sensing in the Kelly setup program. No Joy.

- I noticed it seemed oddly spunky in reverse, and I thought maybe the reverse relay on the tranny was opposite of what the controller was expecting, so I unplugged the reverse cables and turned off reverse speed reduction in the setup program. No Joy.

- I thought maybe there was a problem with the pot in the throttle, so I adjusted the controller to map the throttle from 10%-60% of pedal press from the 20%-80% setting it already had. I didn't see any difference in behavior, and although this was still my lead case I decided to try a few other things before tearing out wires to monitor voltages.

- I have always run the controller in 'balanced' mode, but I tried torque and speed modes, and randomly tweaked a few settings like throttle delay , just in case the was some bug with having the extreme of zero delay or something. Nothing helped, and I was out of time, so I resolved to tear out/monitor the throttle at my next opportunity.

Figuring this was just a tuning issue, I didn't worry about it, I was too busy enjoying the newfound luxury of free time, and knocking out some of the honey-do's that built up during the project. A few nights later, as I was drifting off to sleep, the detail popped into my head of how much current had gone back into the battery during recharge. This made me realize that I had entered the rshunt value into the CA incorrectly; .8333 instead of .0833 (50mv shunt / 600a = .0833). I double-checked this with our CA guru teklektik (thanks for the consult, tek!) so I know I have it correct now.

Clearly I was not going to be able to get back to sleep at this point, so I got up, programmed the CA with the correct rshunt and did a new middle-of-the-night test drive. This time numbers made sense, but in a bad way. At launch, battery side amps are only in the teens, less than 3kw, making it very slow off the line. Amps eventually increased with RPMs, but I was unable to get it to pull more than a measly 88a, far short of the controller's rating. Because it was struggling to accelerate the entire time, it drew 100wh in maybe 1/10 mile, half of what I hope to get for a whole mile. The only good news is the low voltage drop at 88a meant that I did in fact build a low resistance battery circuit.

I knew the controller's 500a rating was motor side and inflated, but I expected the controller would at worst pull its 250a continuous rating, not 1/3 of that. When it was in the bus it had pulled 250a many times, but I (much) later found out the rshunt value had been wrong, and I had not updated my expectations. This means the bus was NOT consuming 1500wh/m, that a true 500a controller WOULD have made it powerful, and I could have enjoyed it a lot more. Sigh.

Oddly, the bus felt faster off the line, despite weighing 3x as much - perhaps because it's first gear was not as steep (especially with the tow'd's big rear tires), so RPMs came up more quickly, and amps seem corrolated to RPM. The tow'd did seem to be getting lively just when it got to 88a so it could have a decent top end, but it was so slow in the beginning that I ran out of road before I could change gears. It was really slow on the hill I tried (and it made the controller HOT) so I am avoiding hills, which complicates things. I live in a very hilly area with many stop signs and streetlights so with this level of performance I can't get to a long flat road to test on, nor can I take it to get weighed.

Now that I knew what to look for, google showed a number of folks who had the same problem with the 144v versions of the KDHB model, and who had been through the missing J1/RS-232 wire problem I experienced, and like me had been successful with other Kelly's including the 72v and 120v versions of the same KDHB platform. I suspect that the 144v version took the KDHB platform beyond its practical limits, a problem resolved by clamping down amps to uselessness, especially at launch. Boo.

I have been a longtime booster of Kelly products. However, between this problem, another fiasco with their BMC V3 controller, and longstanding angst with the deceptive way they rate their controllers, it will be really hard for me to recommend Kelly controllers to anyone again despite successes I have had with them on other builds.

I was so thrilled to have the project behind me, so happy spending a few days not worrying/thinking about it at all after 15 grueling months, that this is really hard, a kick in the stomach. :oops: OTOH, I now have a proven lightweight, servicable platform for testing motors and controllers. :D I'll go ahead and install that ZILLA 2K/2000a controller I bought last summer (documented earlier in this thread); I'll have to test it to see if it actually works, it was so cheap that I have my concerns. The zilla weighs much more, is too big for the space where the Kelly is, and I'd have to redo a lot of wiring, and design/install the liquid cooling infrastructure it requires, but 2000a would be interesting. If the zilla does not work, then maybe I'll just jump to the HPEVS AC35x2 and dual controllers instead.

"Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!" :lol:

-JD

P{lease ignore this duplicate picture:

Attachments

• 03IMG_6013.JPG
    03IMG_6013.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 5,627
Unfortunately, the wide-angle lense of the GoPro makes the front wheels, that look like giant outriggers from my perspective, seem like tiny things tucked under a square windshield. OTOH it makes the car seem to be going faster than it is. :lol: In the spirit of pics or it didn't happen, here is a short clip from one of my test runs; I had just pulled over to turn on the camera, I hit the turn signal and I'm off.

[youtube]kr9j1QEzgI4[/youtube]

Nice writeup and a huge commitment. Wish I had a tenth of that energy myself.

Sorry about your problems. I just wondering if the voltage from the battery is too high for the controller, making it choke the current? Can the small high voltage leakage (the isolating problems) have something to do with it?

Did you find the reason the reverse was feeling better?

Serious? 15 month build, 1000's of pictures and millions of pages of detailed instructions and all we get is a crappy 15 second cell phone video??!!! :(

C'mon, all you do is take. It's time to give something back, something for the fans, you know? :lol:

etard said:
Serious? 15 month build, 1000's of pictures and millions of pages of detailed instructions and all we get is a crappy 15 second cell phone video??!!! :(

C'mon, all you do is take. It's time to give something back, something for the fans, you know? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry guys, I am really glad that people care, but no progress = no report. :oops:

I laid out the replacement zilla controller for testing, but I have not wired it up or done anything beyond that. Right now I'm working 2 other projects that were waiting on the tow'ds completion, and helping someone brilliant get started on ebikes. :mrgreen: I guess I'm still recovering from the first 15 months, plus the car is whole and working now (just with < 1/5 the rated power) so I am having a tough time signing myself up to render it into parts that constipate my workshop again. I do have my last week of vacation coming up, who knows what will happen when left to my own devices...

-JD

Back