10s bms install on 10s2p pack

chessir

100 W
I need help on how to exactly install the nickel strips on my 10s2p pack so that i can protect with my 10s bms. I know how to install an 11 wire bms but I can never find exact instructions on what nickel stips to add to my currently configured 10s2p pack. Do both top and bottom get connected with additional nickel strips . If so can you show a diagram or explain?

Why do you want to install extra nickel strips?

A bms does not require any.

It only requires that you wire the correct BMS channels to the correct parallel groups, in the correct order.

Think about it. Trying to install a 10 cell bms on a 20 cell pack. If you simply install a bms then your only protecting 10 cells . You could install an additional bms but this would be cumbersome when you want to charge the pack. Most videos I have seen use 1 bms and interconnect the cells so you can control the entire pack . I need to know how the cells are interconnected so that I can bms a pack with more than 10 cells.
There is a video on YouTube demonstrating a bms install on a 12s2p pack.The video clearly shows interconnections between serial cells and the parallel serial cells in the top view but it does not show the bottom view.

If I'm reading you right your packs are paralleled at the 10S level and you want to put links in parallel at the cell level so one BMS can balance both packs.

Get a multimeter.

Hi flat tire, thanks for responding. I have 2 x 10s paralleled into a single 10s2p pack. I have only 1 11 wire bms. I have seen videos that use 1 bms . I am not sure what the balancing capability of my bms is but my main concern is safely charging so no cell goes over 4.20.
How is this done? Wouldn't I need 2 bms to safely charge?

This video by Mike from Vruzend shows my dilemma.(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4DGDkwFr54). He demonstrates how to wire a bms to a 50 cell pack in a 10s5p configuration. At 0.29 into the video he shows the top of the pack with the configuration of the nickle strips . Unfortunately you do not get to see the bottom of the pack. See all the added strips and connections? Sure adding a lot of weight to the pack to accomodate a bms. Would the bottom look the same as the top?

chessir said:
Think about it. Trying to install a 10 cell bms on a 20 cell pack. If you simply install a bms then your only protecting 10 cells .
It's not a 20 cell pack, if it has 2p groups, becuase each of those cells already wired in parallel pairs is just one cell to the BMS. So it protects all 20 cells.

If it is two independent 10s1p packs, simply wired in parallel at the main + and -, *then* you have a 20-cell pack that needs two separate BMSs or it needs to have the pairs connected n parallel.

I need to know how the cells are interconnected so that I can bms a pack with more than 10 cells.
If it's a 10s 2p, then the cells are connected in pairs, and then wired in series.

But if you don't know how it's connected, you have to open it up and look at it. If you can't tell by looking, you have to measure it, and draw it all out as a wiring diagram or schematic.

chessir said:
See all the added strips and connections? Sure adding a lot of weight to the pack to accomodate a bms.

I don't know what his conenctions are for, but a BMS doesn't need extra connections. It uses the ones already there, that already connect the parallel groups together.

If he's adding extra strips just for the BMS, then hes' doing completely unnecessary work.

So...you're going to have to determine how your pack is already wired, before you can wire a BMS to it.

If you don't already have parallel connections for the 2p groups in the pack then they aren't 2p groups, and then you have to either use two BMS or you'd have to add those parallel connections.

Success, The above youtube video shows at 29 seconds the proper connections for the nickel strips as four square configurations plus a pos and a neg parallel connection. The bottom would have only 5 square configurations. Problem solved.

Back