• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

150mm to 135mm = will it fit???

fractal

1 kW
Hi all, i'm looking at a 2009 Norco Atomik. I want to fit a HT on it with some of Doc's torque arms. The problem is the !"/"/$%?& dropouts!!! They are 150mm and the axle of an HT is 135mm. I know some of you have done it the other way around, but what about 150 to 135??? How do I do it??? If i cut the original dropouts and glue the torque arms to make them fit 135mm, will the disk brake work??? Would I have to make some kind of an adapter to move it to the inside??? Damn, this is not going to be easy :(

Youll be fine mate, im using a norko aline myself, i needed a few washers to space it out but it fits fine. The actual axle width is 195mm. Youll need a spacer to use your breaks though. Do the atomics have removeable dropouts?

your dropouts are clearly asking for 1500mm Crystalyte 5404!!!! :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

sn0wchyld said:
Youll be fine mate, im using a norko aline myself, i needed a few washers to space it out but it fits fine. The actual axle width is 195mm. Youll need a spacer to use your breaks though. Do the atomics have removeable dropouts?

The Atomik does not have removable dropouts, it has a round hole that looks nothing like dropouts on regular bikes. I'll have to carefully dremel the heck out of them to fit the axle. I see that your a-line has removable dropouts, pretty interesting!!! If you mess up the first time, you can always get new ones :mrgreen:

wojtek said:
your dropouts are clearly asking for 1500mm Crystalyte 5404!!!! :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Yeah!!! that sure would be nice, but 30 pounds is heeeeaaaaavy :shock:

sn0wchyld said:
Youll need a spacer to use your breaks though.
Did you make a spacer on your a-line? How did you do it?

fractal said:
sn0wchyld said:

ill tell you when ive made em!

all im planning is to use an offcut of aluminium of the right thickness to put the caliper where it needs to be. Ill probably be making it tomorow, so ill post some pics when i get a chance.

shame about the dropouts, mine took ages to make but so far they'er working great. The first few rides i did I only had the nuts done up finger tight! They match the axle so well that even regen braking worked like a charm.

And stick with the ht, ive only been running 25amps to start with and its still got plenty of go. once ive broken the batts in and got more of a feel for how hard i can push the motor ill turn it back up to 50 :twisted: . it'd be nice on the one hand to be able to run 5-10kw continuous with the 54' motor, but 30 pounds... holy hell. the 15 pound HT feels like a brick, with that monstrosity it'd feel like a house attached to your back wheel. Im weary of hitting any big rocks and doing my rim in as it is.

sn0wchyld said:
fractal said:
sn0wchyld said:

ill tell you when ive made em!

all im planning is to use an offcut of aluminium of the right thickness to put the caliper where it needs to be. Ill probably be making it tomorow, so ill post some pics when i get a chance.

shame about the dropouts, mine took ages to make but so far they'er working great. The first few rides i did I only had the nuts done up finger tight! They match the axle so well that even regen braking worked like a charm.

And stick with the ht, ive only been running 25amps to start with and its still got plenty of go. once ive broken the batts in and got more of a feel for how hard i can push the motor ill turn it back up to 50 :twisted: . it'd be nice on the one hand to be able to run 5-10kw continuous with the 54' motor, but 30 pounds... holy hell. the 15 pound HT feels like a brick, with that monstrosity it'd feel like a house attached to your back wheel. Im weary of hitting any big rocks and doing my rim in as it is.

I looked at your pics! Good job on those dropouts!!!! being removable, it looks so much easier to work with (I think). Instead of making a new dropout like you did, do you think it would be possible just to modify the axle hole and then adding a torque arm???(I dont have access to a CNC machine :( )

fractal said:
I looked at your pics! Good job on those dropouts!!!! being removable, it looks so much easier to work with (I think). Instead of making a new dropout like you did, do you think it would be possible just to modify the axle hole and then adding a torque arm???(I dont have access to a CNC machine :( )

cheers mate! Im kinda surprised they worked out as tidy and close fitting as they did. took quite a few hours with a grinder and file to get the 3 bolt section that attaches them to the bike all nice and rounded.

I only had access to a mill and a drillpress, a cnc would have made it soooo much easier! But really I could have managed just with the drill press and a angle grinder.

If your thinking of doc'bass's torque arms then yea, should be fine I think. I'd be tempted to get them welded to the dropouts professionally rather than rely on the glue that doc reccomends, particually seeing your modifying the dropouts too. keep in mind though, Im a sucker for over-engineering stuff, so generally what I do ends up being one or all of - expensive/heavy/timeconsuming/PITA to get right/way too strong.
My only worry would be that when you cut the slot into the current rear of your bike its going to weaken that area a fair bit (enclosed > strength > open dropout). Adding torque arms would more than make up for this, but only while they stay attached. glue might deteriate and fail eventually. A good welding job wont (or, is less likely too :wink: ). Just be aware that your frame is probably aluminium, and the dropouts are steel (i think?). Harder to weld. Ask some local shops before deciding witch way to go.

sn0wchyld said:
fractal said:

cheers mate! Im kinda surprised they worked out as tidy and close fitting as they did. took quite a few hours with a grinder and file to get the 3 bolt section that attaches them to the bike all nice and rounded.

I only had access to a mill and a drillpress, a cnc would have made it soooo much easier! But really I could have managed just with the drill press and a angle grinder.

If your thinking of doc'bass's torque arms then yea, should be fine I think. I'd be tempted to get them welded to the dropouts professionally rather than rely on the glue that doc reccomends, particually seeing your modifying the dropouts too. keep in mind though, Im a sucker for over-engineering stuff, so generally what I do ends up being one or all of - expensive/heavy/timeconsuming/PITA to get right/way too strong.
My only worry would be that when you cut the slot into the current rear of your bike its going to weaken that area a fair bit (enclosed > strength > open dropout). Adding torque arms would more than make up for this, but only while they stay attached. glue might deteriate and fail eventually. A good welding job wont (or, is less likely too :wink: ). Just be aware that your frame is probably aluminium, and the dropouts are steel (i think?). Harder to weld. Ask some local shops before deciding witch way to go.

Thanks for te tips!!!! I found an a-line 2009 with the removable dropouts on the local classified ads! Now I just have to pass it through the WAF meter (wife acceptance factor) :mrgreen:

nice mate! the plates aren't that easy to make but ill do a write up for you when i get a chance, theres a few things that you need to consider and a few things you can do to make it easier.

where are you from?

I'm from Quebec, Canada. Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

fractal said:
sn0wchyld said:

The Atomik does not have removable dropouts, it has a round hole that looks nothing like dropouts on regular bikes. I'll have to carefully dremel the heck out of them to fit the axle. I see that your a-line has removable dropouts, pretty interesting!!! If you mess up the first time, you can always get new ones :mrgreen:

I am looking to buy the Norco Atomik tomorrow and I specifically asked the guy if he was sure as he had advertised that the bike had 150mm vertical dropouts and the answer was yes. I think it's a 2007 model.

Any second thoughts?

I have the same question.
I will follow your thread to see what others suggest.

This is what I did:
file.php

Back