D-Man

100 kW

Like this:
Wonder if I could use wood or something.

You might find an old training stand. Blackburn trainers and others have fittings that go over the axle ends.
BlackbnFluidTrainer_08.jpg

If you make one, do you want to be able to loosen the rear wheel?... if so, you'll need some supports like the spools behind the axle on safe's bike.

Yeah I was thinking about a training stand. I found this one at jenson, but seems like it would be hard to lift a heavy bike while tightning it up by yourself.

D-man said:
but seems like it would be hard to lift a heavy bike while tightning it up by yourself.
I like it. Just put a block of wood where the wheel sits to hold the bike up to the right height, then you can just lift it for a moment while you kick the block out.

Ok. Thats logical thinking. Maybe I do want the rear wheel to be able to slide off though.

You could make a stand any size you wanted out of 1" PVC. To keep the PVC ridgid slide a piece of 3/4" thin wall steel conduit into the PVC before you glue it up. Then work out a simple hook up, such as a permanent pipe from one side to the other and just use a couple of u-bolts with wing nuts to attach it to the back of the rear rack, etc.

Got a drawing? Maybe I'll just hang a pulley from the ceiling and use a rope. Be like in my butchering days. :)

Got a drawing? Maybe I'll just hang a pulley from the ceiling and use a rope
That actually works good for my trike. The stringers are open in my unattached garage so I just throw a motorcycle strap over the 2X4 and lift the rear wheel up by the rear rack. Sort of works with a 2 wheel bike, but the bike tends to flop around too easy.

No drawing skills, but the stand you pictured earlier is what it would look like. With the PVC pipe there are lots of different ell connectors so you can make 45 or 60 degree bends.

Rassy...How do you fix a flat on the rear wheel when not at home?

ebent

Fab some l shaped brackets to attach to the adjusting bolts like this motorcyle stand. My current ICE mcycle stand aslo is flipable with a notche plate in case the bike has axle bobbins. The lshape actually lifts it upunder the swingarm

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66192&xcamp=google&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&zmam=33951326&zmas=12&zmac=112&zmap=66192

I thought the design trailing this escoot was interesting:
Kickstand.jpg

tks
locK

How do you fix a flat on the rear wheel when not at home?
Ebent, I just have my buddy hold it up by the rear rack. :D

I have thought about this problem, but haven't had the tadpole long enough to do anything about it yet. I'll probably make a snap together 3-legged jack stand out of PVC pipe or aluminum angle that can be positioned just in front of the rear wheel or just inboard of either of the front wheels. The stand would just become a permanent resident in the panier along with the pump, etc.

Ok, I made a stand for the rear out of stuff I had lying around. Its not pretty but it works. Did it amberwolf style. 8)

Way to go with stuff you have D-Man.

This morning was the first decent day for a while here on the coast, so I took a nice little ride. After my smart ass remarks to Ebent, I kept expecting to have a flat, so when I got home I made a little portable jack stand. Found a piece of 1/2" schedule 40 PVC conduit in the shop, a couple of screws, and a little rope. It's light, it folds up, and it works. The top of one leg was shaved off at an angle to make a better V for the trike's tubes to set in.

Edit: I restung the rope around the base without any knots where it passes through the holes at the base, i.e., just one continuous loop. Makes it work smoother and easier to get the right balance between the 3 legs.

Attachments

• Jack Stand Jan 2010 005.jpg
    Jack Stand Jan 2010 005.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,551
  • Jack Stand Jan 2010 006.jpg
    Jack Stand Jan 2010 006.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,551
  • Jack Stand Jan 2010 007.jpg
    Jack Stand Jan 2010 007.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,551
Nice job. I tried regular car jackstands last time on mine and it worked but they were bulky.

Simple, lightweight, portable. Fits the bill!

Thanks Rassy,
ebent

Made two more, one for my son and one for a buddy. These were made using 1/2" PVC white water pipe. Drilled holes by sight, came out pretty much the same as the original. Posted this because the picture shows how the rope is threaded, which keeps the feet in place when the jack stand is in use.

Attachments

• Jack Stand Jan 2010.jpg
    Jack Stand Jan 2010.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,471
Used mine on my road bike. It worked. Took the rear wheel off to tighten a few loose spokes. Front wheel has to be stabilized though. Pedals turn fine also. Checked the shifting too. I wouldn't sit on it though with the middle of the axel cut out of the hand truck. :lol:

Back