19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Chalo talks about the strength of bicycle vs motorcycle rims. He seems pretty knowledgable.
A good bicycle rim is stronger then a motorcycle rim. However I believe that people use the moto rim's because of the angled nipple. So small rim and large hub motor. Spinningmagnets wrote an article on that too, on the online website. The name escapes me off hand.

https://www.electricbike.com/moped-rims-tires-hubmotors/

[moderator edit to add referenced link]

markz said:
Chalo talks about the strength of bicycle vs motorcycle rims. He seems pretty knowledgable.
A good bicycle rim is stronger then a motorcycle rim. However I believe that people use the moto rim's because of the angled nipple. So small rim and large hub motor. Spinningmagnets wrote an article on that too, on the online website. The name escapes me off hand.

Chalo did make the comment about a good bicycle rim for its strength to weight ratio is stronger than a motorcycle rims weight to strength ratio, and he is correct. But to be clear in terms of pure durability and strength and toughness, there is no bicycle rim wheel tire combo on this planet that is stronger than a Motorcycle rim tire combo.

This has got to be one of the longest threads of all time. Nice job guys. Great info here.

I have some old 20" single walled bicycle rims with the same "eyeball" dimples and oriented spoke holes as motorcycle rims. They can be made; it's only a matter of most bicycle hubs having so small a diameter that it doesn't benefit them. For hub motors, it would be awesome to combine a moto's angled spoke holes with the double walled construction and superior alloys of quality bicycle rims.

In time, I expect that the market will support the volumes necessary to have such rims available. But first, there must be enough of us who recognize the benefits of rims like that and are willing to spend a little extra to get them. I know I would do it. It would be useful not only for hub motors, but also for drum brakes and internally geared hubs.

Mr Lowbank said:
I have a Email form HH today saying

"Unfortunately, our 12 gauge moped nipples are out of stock indefinitely and we no longer are cutting custom spokes because our machine broke"

The spokes I have been using from HH with the crystalyte x5 and the Prowheel racing 19x1.4 rims are the 11/12 gauge (3 -2.7mm) Elbow type: 90 degree 124mm long spokes with 6mm diameter moped nipples.

I also fell down a ditch and broke 12 of these spokes they sheared off at the J where they are 11 gauge.

So I'm looking for more Spokes what are the best sources and what size (thickness) are you using?

I didn't mind the 11/12 gauge as I didn't have to drill out the holes on the X5 motor and they bent a bit easier at the nipple if not lined up. if I go bigger, what extra mods do you do.

Cheers

/img]

Hey Lowbank, dont be afraid to drill out the spoke holes on the hub motor's flange to accommodate some 10g units. I have done this to all my motoors, except my MAC 10geared hubbie which I am running 12G units, and have had no problems. The two TC motors I referenced a page back or so, I drilled out both of them as well.

Good Morning,
I am in process of sourcing wheels for a tadpole 19" & 16" and have wheels/and hubs selected but I am not familiar with lacing MC rims (angled dimples) and I am looking for someone who laces bicycle hubs to motorcycle wheels...any suggestions.? Thank You in advance

chainmaker said:
Good Morning,
I am in process of sourcing wheels for a tadpole 19" & 16" and have wheels/and hubs selected but I am not familiar with lacing MC rims (angled dimples) and I am looking for someone who laces bicycle hubs to motorcycle wheels...any suggestions.? Thank You in advance

At the moment, no one I know of. Holmes Hobbies might be getting out of the 13g bicycle spokes with oversized nipples business, and they were the only option I knew of. Those are the spokes you want to lace bicycle hubs to MC rims. The rear isn't an issue. I have drilled out hubs to except 10G and even 8G spokes and laced several to MC rims. Just don't got an answer for you on the front.

Lacing MC rims is not that much different than lacing bicycle ones. I would say it's easier because you don't deal with the spoke angle issue.
Roadrash (now goes by "Motobikewheels" here at the forum) have been doing this for sometime with lots of happy customers. Maybe ping him.

chainmaker said:
Good Morning,

litespeed said:
Road rash does an excellent job I'd like to add!

Tom

I forgot Road Rash is doing this, is he lacing MTB 20mm front hubs to MC rims? I got 4 people I can send his way if he is performing this service.

Yes he is. You can pick and choose the hub you like and he will lace it up to the rim you like.
I am sure he will appreciate the referrals. He does some great work from what I've heard.

macribs said:
Yes he is. You can pick and choose the hub you like and he will lace it up to the rim you like.
I am sure he will appreciate the referrals. He does some great work from what I've heard.

You guys don't even know, I get PM's weekly (most weeks) from folks about wanting MTB hubs laced to MC rims. I will not forget this. Road Rash is going to to see an increase in business queries this week.

Thank you for the help guys! Ive sent the forum members PM's and looking forward to coming to an arrangement!!

Yes, he is saying he is super busy, needs an auto lacing machine.

Rix said:
macribs said:

You guys don't even know, I get PM's weekly (most weeks) from folks about wanting MTB hubs laced to MC rims. I will not forget this. Road Rash is going to to see an increase in business queries this week.

LA ebike is also providing moto/ebike wheel building service..
Screenshot_2016-01-09_21.06.33_2048x2048.png

http://laebike.com/products/moto-wheel-lacing

Got a few PMs on determining ERD in MMs, or effective rim diameter. Here's how I do it, take some spokes, preferably with the same length of nipples intended for the next lace job. Thread them through rim's holes number one, count 18 if a 36 hole rim, and thread into the 19th hole. Use a rubber band to keep the spokes in place. Then measure from the end of the nipple to the end of the nipple. This rim is a 18x1.40 rim. The measurement was about 16.15 inches. When I converted 16.15 inches to MM, I get 410mm, then add the length of the spoke nipples to that number. The nipples I used in this pic were 18mm long, so I added 18x2 for 36mm to the 410 and got 446mm for my ERD. When using Ebikes.ca a spoke calculator, this was my rim measurement. It called for 115mm and 116mm for the TC30xx. I had ordered some 117mm long spokes. Well, I am was 1mm too long on some of the spokes and did some grinding. Not a big deal. Its possible my rim isn't perfectly around, and some of the spokes were maybe a mm or 2 long.

Attachments

• ERD1.jpg
    ERD1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,653
  • ERD.jpg
    ERD.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 3,653
What's the best advice to repair a moto tyre on the trails?

I've bought one of these canister http://www.ebay.it/itm/GONFIA-E-RIPARA-GOMME-MOTO-BICI-EMERGENZA-GONFIA-200-ML-PNEUMATICI-/121603901046?
But I wonder if there is something smaller to carry under the seat that contains just the liquid to repair the nail flat because I already have under the seat some CO2 cartridges to inflate the tyre.

bigbore said:

I've bought one of these canister http://www.ebay.it/itm/GONFIA-E-RIPARA-GOMME-MOTO-BICI-EMERGENZA-GONFIA-200-ML-PNEUMATICI-/121603901046?
But I wonder if there is something smaller to carry under the seat that contains just the liquid to repair the nail flat because I already have under the seat some CO2 cartridges to inflate the tyre.

Ciao Simone, I carry a can of fix-a-flat with me and nothing else any more for tire repair. I was carrying CO2 kit and patch kits. I don't any more though.

bigbore said:

One of the best reasons to go tubeless is the ease of repair in the event of a flat tire. Rather then struggle out in the woods with pulling out the tube, repair with rubber repair patches putting the tube back inside the tire, avoiding to cause another flat or even more flats when getting the tire beads to right side.

Just pull out your tubeless repair kit (kit so small it will fit under your seat or in your pocket) and just "plug the leak". You can use Dynaplug (smallest kit there is AFAIK) like in the vid or any other tubeless repair kit.

[youtube]uQ2xFfXTE4g[/youtube]

Thing is with that u gotta have pliers, but spose we should have a multi tool kit anyway,
I use this its a nice size,but with 2 ply tyres hopefully puntures are no more https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/141368234180

Anyone know suitable metric tires?

Getting a hold of shinko or similar is somewhat of a pain, as I live in europe.

Something eq to 3.00-17 or 2.75-18 only in metric size would be great, as those dimensions are available here.

As I understand it, the old imperial conotation just excludes the ratio between width and tire-wall as this is always at 100%.

As an example I believe 3.00-17 would probably be noted as something like 70/100 x17 here (please correct me if I'm mistaken).

I cannot be the only european here with this problem.. Hopefully some of the gurus here can help :)

Tl;dr
Similar tires to SR241, only with european size conotation.

Regards
-Vegard

did you ask what fits on your rim?

if you are on motorcycle terrain 17" Tires fits on 17" rims.
every manufacturer has a website and some recommendation for each rim.

theres a range. like on bicycles

you can put a crazy bob 26" on a 29mm rim or a 80mm rim. It stretches and the handling/comfort differs

same on mc rims.

2.75 shinko on a 1.4 or 1.6 rim is normal.
3.00 is for a 1.4 in my opinion to small. but it works. better is 1.6 or 1.8

if you want to compare, just multiply 3x 2.54 (inches)...(7,62cm)
for your example, yes, its like a 70/100/17

BUT

every Tire is unique.
between tires you have sometimes 1-2cm DIFFERENCES and to confuse complete. the pressure comes also in play for real sizes.

when its a decision between fitting a tire in a swingarm or fork, you have to ask what tire exaclty you want to have/try.
if no one answers. you will be the first...buy it, try it...like it or earned some experiences ;P

Merlin said:

you can put a crazy bob 26" on a 29mm rim or a 80mm rim. It stretches and the handling/comfort differs

same on mc rims.

BUT

every Tire is unique.
between tires you have sometimes 1-2cm DIFFERENCES and to confuse complete. the pressure comes also in play for real sizes.

when its a decision between fitting a tire in a swingarm or fork, you have to ask what tire exaclty you want to have/try.
if no one answers. you will be the first...buy it, try it...like it or earned some experiences ;P

So true, 2.75 to 3.00 tires are almost the same as size 70/100 profile tires. Then your 3.25 tires are the same as 80/100 or 90/90 size tires. 100/100 or 100/90 are 4.0 size tires.

Merlin said:

same on mc rims.

BUT

every Tire is unique.

I have yet to purchase a rim, so I suppose it's more a matter of any "metric" tires that will hold the same dimensions as either 3.00-17 or 2.75-18, as I understand both are frequently used on the raptor.

Also, I'm finding it hard to locate suitable 36 hole rims for the beforementioned tires. Using prowheel as an example; the only 17" they carry is too narrow for 3.00" (1.40) according to your post and the 18" is too wide (2.15)..

I don't mind trying different combos when I finally get my setup running, but right now I'm sort of shooting in the dark with most of it.

I did find some rims from Thailand that were ominously cheap, and came with a 7 day warranty.. But that does not sound like a good idea :lol:

http://www.lazada.com.ph/osaki-u-type-160-x-17-motorcycle-alloy-rim-epoxy-green-235205.html

*edit: well I'll be darned, holmes have the goods. Tried accessing the holmesbikes.com site, and did not realize he changed domain name :oops: *
*edit: or so I whought.. only 17" black there*

Back