• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

1st Timer Build Advice- Flat bar fast commuter for midwest

allezdude

1 mW
Newbie here, recently test rode a Specialized Turbo and it was an eye-opener (in several ways:) Almost bought the "plain" Turbo model (around $3800) but after doing some research, seems like DIY can give you more bang for your buck. Plus, I would like something a little faster than the "down graded" Specialized.

I've been cycling all my life; almost 50 Y.O. now. The ebike will be for commuting to work (5 miles round trip), run errands around town, etc.... The purpose-built ebikes look pretty ugly to me- I'd like to build something that doesn;t look like a Sherman tank.

Looking for parts advice (motor, battery, controller, etc...) from the forum. Here are my deets:

Bike:--> Trek Cross Rip- basically a disc-braked cyclocross bike, converted to flat bars. 135 rear spacing, carbon front fork with thru-axle, hydro disc brakes. mounts for fenders & racks.
Pedelec preferred to throttle or other
Desired max speed on level ground---> circa 30 mph
Desired max range at what cruising speed.---> 20 miles at 24ish mph?
Preferred bike wheel size---> 700 c
Brake type of motor wheel. ---> disc.
Rider weight---> 155 lbs.
Terrain.--> mostly flat (midwest)
Battery--> frame bag hanging inside front triangle. Lithium-something
Budget--> $1500- $2000 (for ebike parts)
Hub or mid-drive--> open to either, kind of leaning twords hub drive
Wrenching ability--> I used to be a bike mechanic, although don;t have any electrical knowledge

Cheers & thanks for any advice you can give! :D :D :D

I'm sure someone will probably post it, but a mac motor with a triangle battery in bag looks like it will fit your bill really well.

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=45&product_id=185

Someone else can specify which battery to pick, but it'll easily fit your budget ranging from $1200-$1500 depending on the battery, that's cost including shipping.

That'll add some weight to the bike though, if you're looking to keep weight down you could go with a small cute 100H motor and "dolphin style" battery from BMS battery, the motor and battery weigh around 11 pounds for this kit which is a lot less than the linked above. With the fast wind motor (260) and 48V you'd get around 25-27mph with pedal assist. This lightweight kit with the fast wind is definitely not a hill climber though, but it seems like you are lightweight and reasonably fit. Total cost shipped to the US is $600.

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/680-48v116ah-bottle-09-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html

I myself just ordered the kit from BMSB, so other people have more experience i'm just basically recycling information from other posts. I feel like I have spend 30+ hours reading on here in the past month :p

You can do better than the one that you have tried, yet that is a good one with slick design.

Building faster and more powerful can be done easily
Lighter will require some cash
Nicer might take some time

I'm going to recommend almost exactly what I have, since it meets and exceeds your performance requirements: MAC10 motor (rear, in your case), EM3EV triangle battery, S12S or S12SH sine-wave torque simulation controller from BMSbattery, LCD3 display, PAS sensor. And for the ultimate pedal assisted experience, add a torque sensor like the BeamTS.

Here's mine: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58335#p1024067

Complete performance information for this setup can be found in the thread. (Your base bike is better and lighter, so you may expect even better performance.)

Hmm, some of the best advice I give over and over to the new guys who already are serious cyclists.,,

DONT, ruin your favorite bike with a motor kit. Even the lighter stuff (compared to monster motors), like a geared hubmotor and 48v 10 ah battery will add about 20 pounds to your bike. So your beautiful beloved bike will become a tank, unless you take a different approach. Bear in mind though, a 90 pound bike can still fly with a motor.

Consider a two stage approach to the idea, bearing in mind this can be an addiction. Start with a EM3ev setup, that's still a good idea, but consider putting it on a bike you wouldn't ordinarily ride. Likely you do have one around the garage, or you can get something. Seriously, you could be quite happy with a 7 speed beach cruiser for your commute bike. Something able to tote a big load in the panniers, with 2" tires. Personally, I really favor a long tail for the utility bike.

The hub motor kit can move from 26" bike to bike over the years or months, as you explore what works best for a mid weight e bike setup. You might drift to a longtail, or to a full suspension off road bike, or a tadpole trike, who knows? We do know one thing, the stuff you prize on your pedal bike won't be what you desire on your e bike. I always have about 4-6 ebikes up and running in my garage. But the ones without a motor still often out number the e bikes! No way I'm wrecking my vintage steel 10 speeds. Nor my highest quality FS bike.

Then perhaps next season, with more experience under your belt. go after that bike you love. Super light motor, possibly friction drive, or bottom bracket drive. Tiny battery that weighs only 4 pounds, something much more fun to do the 5 mile run when you don't need to carry groceries home.

I'm almost 70. a 100 lbs overweight and I could still do a 2.5 mile commute on flat ground in minutes. I agree with dogman. If you want to tool around town on an ebike, get a cheap 26" bike with steel dropouts, put a 48V 1000W motor kit on it with 10-15ah 48V battery pack. You can do this for $500-$1000 easily depending on the battery pack you get. Any of these motor kits will get you 30 mph top speed and last forever.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=48v+1000w+rear&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

Back