2 motor Giant Pistol 1 (pics and video)

bzhwindtalker said:
Sounds like the ultimate city bike, able to keep with cars easy, and cornering hard :)

yeah man,

it really is especially with the moped tires.

i can practically run over just about anything with the 3 ply rubber rolling under me without worry 8)

no more flats!!

by the way bzhwindtalker, your trike is looking amazing! good job man :)

hey guys,

ok, so today i'm getting ready to leave work with my bike and turn on the main power switch and lean it against the wall.

at this time a coworker comes over and starts to check it out and what not and reaches over to the throttle and twist it while saying "what does this do?" :!:

i envisioned my bike hurtling away and crashing, ruining countless hours of work and money :shock:

thankfully the controller switch was off.

i am now soooo glad i decided to hook up a separate power switch for safety reasons just for stupid shit like this!!

i wasn't even going to but i had a spare switch lying around, hell i wasn't even going to use a precharge wire, but kelly STRONGLY RECOMMENDED using one (read through that damn pdf manual many times) because of damage to the caps and it was only 3 dollars.

in any event,

you can never be to careful. this was a little to close of a call for me. well now i know my heart still works :lol:

colby

colby said:
at this time a coworker comes over and starts to check it out and what not and reaches over to the throttle and twist it while saying "what does this do?" :!:

Very similar happened, mate came around who hadn't ridden the bike before he sat on it and i said don't turn the throttle
its extrmely sensitive and will jump forward with slightest touch (those with rc setups will understand what i mean by throttle sensitivity)
So what he do, twist the throttle bike launches forward hits garage door mate falls over bike falls ontop of him, thankfully he had zero
self preservation in mind and scrambled to hold the bike from hitting the ground as such was zero damage... I have a cutt off
switch on mine just happened to be on from when i lowered my stabiliser wheels for mate to sit on bike, he assured me
i could leave it on would be ok... riiiight... some people just don't listen or think they know best all the time...

KiM

AussieJester said:
colby said:

Very similar happened, mate came around who hadn't ridden the bike before he sat on it and i said don't turn the throttle
its extrmely sensitive and will jump forward with slightest touch (those with rc setups will understand what i mean by throttle sensitivity)
So what he do, twist the throttle bike launches forward hits garage door mate falls over bike falls ontop of him, thankfully he had zero
self preservation in mind and scrambled to hold the bike from hitting the ground as such was zero damage... I have a cutt off
switch on mine just happened to be on from when i lowered my stabiliser wheels for mate to sit on bike, he assured me
i could leave it on would be ok... riiiight... some people just don't listen or think they know best all the time...

KiM

oh man, that could have been real bad (the bike and your buddy) :shock:

i bet he felt like the biggest ass ever after that!! did you ask him why he still went ahead and twist the throttle anyways even after you told him not to?

would love to here what he had to say for himself.

that's so cool he didn't mess up that sweet bike of yours kim!

maybe next time he'll listen...hehe.

colby

colby said:
did you ask him why he still went ahead and twist the throttle anyways even after you told him

I did ...and he said why does it do that ... i said it's not like ICE, its electric you get near 100% torque soon as you twist the throttle
As far as damage to my bike goes mate, i couldn't care less i worry more about the people that ride it, when you can build en you can fix em just as easy... :)

KiM

AussieJester said:
colby said:
did you ask him why he still went ahead and twist the throttle anyways even after you told him

i couldn't care less i worry more about the people that ride it, when you can build en you can fix em just as easy... :)

KiM

yes, for sure man. this is so very true.

i let my friend ride my bike and even though i explained to him very thoroughly how everything works, i definitely worried about him more than the bike.

it was kind of funny he just putted around slowly, i told him he could go a little faster but i think he was worried about damaging something on the bike.

think i might have that on video. lol. i'll have to look for it :)

colby

colby said:
it was kind of funny he just putted around slowly, i told him he could go a little faster but i think he was worried about damaging something on the bike.

Yeah...unfortunately my friends are all rev heads, first thing they wanna find out is 1) how fast it accelerates and 2) how fast it goes...

KiM

AussieJester said:
colby said:

Yeah...unfortunately my friends are all rev heads, first thing they wanna find out is 1) how fast it accelerates and 2) how fast it goes...

KiM

haha,

funny. mine are all musicians. i play music to but, i grew up around fabricating stuff from scratch (my dad) and riding dirtbikes so it's kind of in my blood.

i've always been into building stuff seance i was real little. i remember being like 5 or 6 years old in the garage with my dad and he would tell me to look away at the

garage door before he would start welding.

as soon as he flipped his helmet down and started welding i would stare right into the arc :shock:

thankfully i can still see :lol: just wish i had a shop with some tools though...to expensive in SF.

I've got a hacksaw, drill and a hammer though :D guess you gotta make due with what you have. i'm fine with that :)

colby

hey guys,

so the new controller has been working flawlessly :D i got it dialed into around 4kw peak. about 120amps/32volts (voltage sag) under HARD load. the motors are only getting slightly warmer but not hot :D

wow! what a difference! just added like 1500watts or so :D still want more power though but, this is about all i am comfortable feeding these motors. we'll see though :wink:

anyways, now have been thinking about a nice enclosure over the batteries and such.

i really liked the old bar i had coming across but i wanted the lower seat height...soooooo

i was thinking maybe something like this??? and then have some sort of panels on the sides.

moto 2.JPG

or take it a step further like this!?! crotch rocket anyone! this might be a little to much for my taste though, not sure yet :?

what do you guys think??

moto bike.JPG

colby

hey guys,

made a little progress yesterday.

bolted on a new 54 tooth chain ring (now i can pedal at 30mph :) ) and made an enclosure

out of rubbermaid. lol. it's not quit finished yet, so i don't have any close-ups but, it's

the basic design/shape i was looking for. not sure i will keep this one :? definitely need to work on the fit and finish.

check it out. (sorry for the bad iphone photo's)

Picture001-1-1.jpg

Picture1142-3-1.jpg

night shot with built in meter.

Picture1144-1.jpg

colby

Nice bike here. Mate, need some help on moto tires. I have Alex Dx32 rims and found Pirelli ML12. They are 65 or 60mm wide and 80mm tall. Would this combination work from your experience?

Back