2022 Velo Orange Neutrino minivelo, Nine Continent RH212 rear hub motor

Mongo

100 W
For 2024, I've started on a beach bike build of a sort (flattish terrain anyway), blowing off the cobwebs off an analog Neutrino bike I've had for a while. I've wanted to tinker with a rear hub motor-powered build for a while now, so here's the first (last?) one. The tentative build list is as follows:
  • Velo Orange Neutrino frameset, size large
  • Grin Technologies Nine Continent RH212 rear hub motor CA3 kit, with the recommended fast-wind version (for 20" wheels), and Statorade
  • fender eyelet torque arms, tentatively modified/adapted to work with the frame's rear sliding dropouts
  • V6 Baserunner controller, tied to a V3 Cycle Analyst display and related controls,
  • 68mm ERider-T17N torque-sensing BB, with a 5-bolt 130BCD spider
  • front Sun Ringlé Ryno Lite, rear Weinmann DM30 rims
  • front Super Moto X, rear Pick-Up Schwalbe tires
  • microSHIFT 9-speed group, with an 11-38 cassette
  • front/rear gearing TBD, but starting with a 50T front chainring
  • 180/160mm front/rear brake rotors, TRP Spyre cable brake calipers, with Jagwire Compressionless brake housing
  • modified (ground down to clear crank arm) kickstand, center lever drop post
  • 52-volt 17-25AH downtube mounted tray-style batteries
"Do it right the first time" is my hope, using a known motor from a reputable vendor. The kit delivery is probably a month out or so, but that's ok. I purchased Grin's wheel-building services, thinking that experienced hands would do better than mine, with such short spokes in a somewhat oddball arrangement.

Knowing little to nothing about hub motors, I vacillated between the RH212 and the Bafang G310, mainly because of the weight of the former, but concerned about the heat-shedding abilities of the latter. Then there's the GMAC, which may be my next motor should the RH212 not be the right match. Hot & humid summertime riding conditions are an issue where I live. Fortunately, I can run biggish rear tires, which may help with the RH212 weight/inertia penalty.

Detail pictures will follow, as the build progresses.

Last edited:
Back