24V 350W to 24V 500-750W

Joecool

1 W
I have a 24V 350W motor. Would it be worth it to get a new 24V 500 or 750 Watt motor? Would the extra 150-400 Watts on the new motor make that big a difference in torque and speed?

Yes (maybe), there would be a big difference, if the controller is replaced too. a 750 watt motor would have more than twice the torque and possibly more than twice the speed, and if the 750 w motor is built for more speed.

But can your battery handle it? A battery spec'd out for a 350w system might burn up swiftly trying to power a 750w system.

What kind of system are you running?

6S 13A 35C lipo. Those batteries are mine from other builds. The SLAs that were in it were dead. Truthfully I would not use SLAs anyway since I have so many lipos on hand. I got the scooter for free about a week ago. it runs really well for being 10 years old. I would just upgrade to a 48 volt motor and controller but I have to modify the deck and do some welding which I could do I just wanted to go the easy route. If I stick to 24 volt, it's just a drop in replacement. coming from an RC and Robotics background, like RC trucks helicopters and now racing mini quads in FPV, I have nice high-end power supply and charger. so no need for BMS for my batteries. looking at prices though it seems I can get a 48 volt motor and controller for the same price as a 24 volt motor and controller. roughly about a hundred bucks for both. Just wondering if upgrading from 24V 350W to 24V 750W is worth the upgrade pending on the performance increase.

Joecool said:
I have a 24V 350W motor. Would it be worth it to get a new 24V 500 or 750 Watt motor? Would the extra 150-400 Watts on the new motor make that big a difference in torque and speed?

I run a 24v 350watt motor at 36volts. Gives me 50% more speed. That is a big change, and may cause heat issues in the controller or motor (in my case, the controller is my only weak spot).

in my case, the 200rpm 24volt motor is almost the same as my 328rpm motor. Its not the motor that is different, it is the controller and the battery.

speed is dictated by motor winding (i.e. rpm at a voltage) and by the battery voltage. Torque can be controlled by current.

Back