3 days in

FfredDRredD

100 mW
I just move to elephant head arizona for a job. My friend needed help with the ranch and shop and called me, since i wasnt doing much i came out here and am glad i did it is beautiful here the weather is also. Maybe someday soon i could meet some of my favorite people on endless sphere like dogman, a few hours west of him, or amberwolf, a few hours south of him, anyway today is a good day. Thank You to all here who in a way has help me adjust to being here because one of the first things i did was to look and see how my family(ES) was doing when i was nervous about being here. I'v made some modifications to my bike and i'll send some pics in near future-steve

Wecome to weather paradise, well, till June anyway.

Elephant head? Not too familiar with where that is. Are you in the hills where it's relatively cool, or down in the frying pan? The SW above 5000 feet is paradise, below 3000, kinda hot for me. People who live in Phoenix don't wear riveted 501's much, after they get burn blisters from the rivets. I'm at 3800 ft, close to paradise.

It's bike weather about 360 days a year. 8)

Hey! you got Ypedals dog.

thank you for the welcome, i tried looking up the elevation but was unable to find it but the weather is nice. the little ranch i'm at is in amado across the highway from the cow palace also working at a little shop in tubac. on the way here we went thru your town i looked around and got to see what kind of terrain where you are. in the avatar is a pic of two of the favorite things i have, my mechanic and her bike, she lets me drive it cause she cant reach the handlebars from her seat :D

Ah, there are some names I can find on the map. Near I- 19 south of Tuscon. I wondered if you had gotten lucky, and were nearer to Patagonia, which is high enough to be much nicer in summer than Tuscon. But throw the bike in the car, and you are a pretty short drive to some nice mountians. A much shorter drive to a nice part of AZ than if you were in Casa Grande for example.

Enjoy it while it lasts, the SW is in the biggest drought since the dust bowl days.

And quit hogging it, all we got was a tiny sprinkle, like 1/100th inch.

stars, that was what i was impressed with the most when i moved to colorado. i had to live in my car for a few weeks when i went to grad school there and then got a paycheck so i could rent a room in a house outside of ft collins, way over on the west side across the reservoir away from the city lights, and the first thing i noticed was the enormous number of stars there are out there.

my place there now is way outa town but there are still those big night lights people keep on all night that ruin it but i can see the milky way from horizon to horizon. coming from louisiana and oregon where the atmosphere is all moisture to dry clear air in colorado at 5200' was like a revelation.

Yeah, once you have really clear skies at night you wish for a switch to be able to turn everyone's lights off within a hundred miles. Now that we have space telescopes sharing pics of what those lights really are, a really clear dry sky at night is even more staggering in its beauty and scale. I had a 3am stargazing session like that 2 weeks ago, clear and dry, and the moon had already set. A big meteor that came in at a shallow angle an lasted long enough that we even saw it break apart before dimming was icing on the cake. Thanks for making me think of that morning again. :mrgreen:

John

Yeah, quit hogging it. I'm higher at 4000 ft at my house, so we get a teaser snow every year. Usually no quantity though, like one inch. Still cool to see.

Praying here for epic blizzards at wolf creek pass and Taos. The Rio Grande river is now sucked so dry they are talking about no water release from the lake upstream at all this year, not enough snow up north for the 3rd year in a row. That will be the first time since 1918. We need a good El Nino bad. For about 3 years now, all we get is wind. Last Saturday we got the first haboob of spring.

Howdy everybody, still love it here, i get more stuff to do everyday so i hav'nt had much of a chance to ride much yet, things ought to settle a little soon so i can have more time for riding, Hope all are doing well-steve

three months now, seen my first rattlesnake, rode on the interstate, and made it to the institute observatory which was uphill all the way and brake smokin on the way back, still triin to find time to take pictures

for those concerned, i got good news from our friend Naeem "numberonebikeslover", he was'nt been able to access ES for awhile, he will have good news to share with all of us, hopefully real soon-steve

Well about three weeks back now, things did'nt work out as planned in az but i got to do and see alot of kool stuff if i wouln'nt have done it. when i got back, a few days later we found out my pops has cancer in his brain, lungs, liver and gall bladder. Let me back up a little bit, i found out we lost our neighbor a great friend of our family and my parents were so upset that they told me that i needed to come home but i was'nt ready yet. then things in arizona fell apart, i could have stayed but ma told me i had to come home, me being a momma's boy i did what i was told. my mother has outlived her parents by almost twice their age, i suppose she has been afraid something happening to them(parents) while i've been away, several tragic things have happened while away and she does'nt want it to happen this time. as it is i'm in south dakota for a temporary job but will be home this wknd. my pops is responding well to treatments now, first diagnosis he had 40 to 60 days without treatment. when i talked to him yesterday he sounded alot better and said he feels good enough to beat it. and you know miracles happen every day :) -steve ps getting to come to ES and do the es thang has helped more than any of you probably know thanks

I really enjoyed living in the Phoenix area. The summers were very hot, but we could drive a couple of hours north to the top of the Mogollon rim to cool off. The mountain biking was awesome.

dogman said:
We need a good El Nino bad.

El Nino back in the news, coming this fall maybe:
http://globalnews.ca/news/1286965/tired-of-the-cold-el-nino-predicted-to-warm-things-up/

Back