36v20AH Lifepo4 for $312 !!! total

OMG they're biiger than i imagined my 44v 20ah lithium polymer pack is only very slightly larger than them :-| Now i REALLY want to
see a 48v setup on someones MTB even a 36v setup would be interesting...

Cheers for the pics Kevinator...after seeing them, i think they are definately suited to e-motorcycles, e-trikes and electric
car builds not your average upright bicycle...

KiM

Well, Kevinator, you are a comparing a 12v20AH pack with a 12v10AH SLA pack. But yeah, they are kind of big but they are still 1/2 the weight of SLA. Here is 3 12v20AH Thunderkskys in a MTX Topeak DX bag. I will have to get another box when my 4th 12v pack arrives because it won't fit. Still, you can buy almost two 36v20AH THunderksky for the price of one ping 36v20AH when you factor in shipping costs. 48v 20AH Thunderksky fits easily on the back of a bike, though, you just need to make sure you have a big enough bag or box for it. Even 72v would fit but over 72v, that would be pushing it. BTW, the thunderskys like to be used in the upright position.
Here is my current setup:
dsc00004gl.jpg

They might not be for everyone but I like them. I just ordered another 12v pack tonight. If you want small size, then yeah, these might not be the best for you. If you want long lasting packs for cheap, these are good buy. Dumbass has been using his for a year so far and doing fine. I've met people using these in their electric cars for a year and over and they love them and are working well.

morph999 said:
They might not be for everyone but I like them.

As i suspected a rear rack mount or pods would be the only possible mounting locations on
a MTB for these. Not great for handling having weight that far back and that high up.
Definately 100% improvement on SLAs though.
I wonder has anyone mounted these in the triangle part of a MTB or crusier style frame
with success...Morph, 1 years use of a battery really says little about how well the battery has
lasted.. if it had been charged 2000 times and lost 10% of its capacity this would be impressive

KiM

it'd be pretty difficult to mount these in the mid-part of a bike I think. Like I said, the company built them with the idea that they would be used in the upright position. I've heard that if you use them with them on the side or upside down it could cause them to prematurely deteriorate. It might be possible. If you can stand to have maybe 6" thickness in the mid part. Put two together and then two below that then it would be possible. You probably wouldn't be able to pedal like that, though. If you find a bike with a low enough or missing top bar then you could probably mount them right there, right below the handle bars. You could even throw them in a basket in the front if you wanted too.

Even though they look big, they aren't as heavy as SLA. 36v20AH thundersky lifepo4 is about 20lbs. A 36v20AH SLA is about 45 lbs.

morph999 said:
Well, Kevinator, you are a comparing a 12v20AH pack with a 12v10AH SLA pack. But yeah, they are kind of big but they are still 1/2 the weight of SLA. Here is 3 12v20AH Thunderkskys in a MTX Topeak DX bag.

Yeah the batteries are all different types and capacities to show the physical differences. The TS 12v/20ah pack is almost twice as big as a Ping 12v/15ah with BMS. The Ping 12v15ah is slightly larger than the 12v10ah SLA, but weighs almost half as much.

Thanks for the pic! I was actually planning on using the biggest topeak trunk bag with my TS packs so the pic confirms these packs will fit nicely. I wouldn't want to ride around with these as my primary pack for daily short trips, but for those lnoger rides they will work great.

I'm also now considering an electric trolling motor for fishing. These could serve double-duty by propelling a small fishing boat or kayak.

Yuan Dao from Elite Power Solutions, said that the battery may be install on their sides, with no known impact to battery life.

Attachments

• P2270003.jpg
    P2270003.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,129
jgaede said:
Yuan Dao from Elite Power Solutions, said that the battery may be install on their sides, with no known impact to battery life.

FYI, I've been running 4 of these packs on their side for almost a year now with no problem.

AussieJester said:
morph999 said:
They might not be for everyone but I like them.

As i suspected a rear rack mount or pods would be the only possible mounting locations on
a MTB for these. Not great for handling having weight that far back and that high up.
Definately 100% improvement on SLAs though.
I wonder has anyone mounted these in the triangle part of a MTB or crusier style frame
with success...Morph, 1 years use of a battery really says little about how well the battery has
lasted.. if it had been charged 2000 times and lost 10% of its capacity this would be impressive

KiM

I have done this with them on my old bike. It's not pretty but it sure worked well for me for a long time. Actually I started out like this with a set of 2 - 12v 18ah SLA packs. When I first bought the TS lifepo4 packs I just slide out the SLA batteries and slid in the TS packs. The TS packs were almost the same size as the SLA batteries and fit the bags perfectly.

PA020018_Small.jpg

Does each individual cell need to be balanced or do I just need to charge each 12 pack individualy? I have seen 12 volt chargers that can charge three batteries at one time, each with there own lead.

maydaverave said:
Does each individual cell need to be balanced or do I just need to charge each 12 pack individualy? I have seen 12 volt chargers that can charge three batteries at one time, each with there own lead.

All lead chargers can charge several batteries at the same time. So yes you can also charge multiply lifepo4 packs at the same time using a lead charger. The end result will be the packs are very or perfectly balanced. However, this does not guarantee the individual cells will be balanced. When I charged this way all my individual cells were within a .012v range (3.49 min and 3.61 high. This does not mean that all cells will be this well balanced but they will likely be simular. Some people have purchased 1 single cell charger (around $15) and used it to balance the cells the first time and then used the lead charger from then on. It is important to be cautious when charging that no individual cell exceeds the max voltage rating for that brand. Normally 3.65 to 3.70 is used to indicate a fully charged cell.

Check this postion for detailed info on a very easy and inexpensive way to setup your pack for series connection for riding and parallel connection for charging with a smaller charger. In your situation a 12v charger and a 24v or 36v pack. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16632&start=0

auraslip said:
I wanna see how you wire it up and package them if you could take the time!

They were $104. Looks like she raised the price back to about $120. They used to be $128 so they are still a little cheaper than before.
(this is BMS-less approach to charging them)
I charge mine using a 12v black and decker charger. It charges to about 98 % capacity so it doesn't overcharge them. Main key to doing it this way is to make sure all your cells are top balanced so you have to charge them all to full capacity first then use the 12v black and decker and then periodically charge them all to full again to make sure they stay balanced. If you want to know more....I laid it all out in a thread here:
(read this whole thread and it will basically tell you exactly how to do it)
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?631390-Looking-for-battery-recommendations

or you could just buy a BMS and do it that way.

I bought 6 / 4 cell TS 40amphr.and 4 / 4 cell 20amph. battries and the balancers and the purchased a 14.8 volt lion charger and this works great . when the cells start to reach full charge the red led on the balancer comes on and when all cells reach full charge the charger stops and the red led is warm to the touch and bleeds all cells down to 3.7 volts. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BLUESTREAK said:
I bought 6 / 4 cell TS 40amphr.and 4 / 4 cell 20amph. battries and the balancers and the purchased a 14.8 volt lion charger and this works great . when the cells start to reach full charge the red led on the balancer comes on and when all cells reach full charge the charger stops and the red led is warm to the touch and bleeds all cells down to 3.7 volts. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So it goes up to 14.8v ? yeah, that's what the Black and decker does.

Back