4 hour Cannondale Hooligan build finished.

I may add a suspension fork and stretch the rear about 4 inches. Beyond that, a center console of some sort to hold an ignition switch and CA screen. I have very little time to work on this, though. I have customer orders to fill. :)

Matt

recumpence said:
I may add a suspension fork and stretch the rear about 4 inches. Beyond that, a center console of some sort to hold an ignition switch and CA screen.
:shock:
recumpence said:
I have customer orders to fill.
Wonderful to hear... Keep up the great work!

Well, I can verify the range. I just went for a 10 mile ride averaging 25mph and used less than 25% of my charge. So, it looks like 35 miles is my range (leaving a safe margin of capacity in the packs).

I can tell you this thing absolutely NEEDS suspension forks! My hands fell asleep and my wrists took a beating. It is fine for general bashing around, but for any amount of commuting, suspension forks are needed. Also, I need a less insane motor. Every little bump made my wrist turn the throttle a tiny bit and that translated into motor response. That made bumpy road riding require too much concentration. So, I will remove this 12,000rpm motor in favor of a 7,500rpm motor and gear it up. That should tone down the craziness.

Of course, the power IS fun. :mrgreen:

Matt

P.S. I just got back in from a fun blast. I pulled 13,200 watts on that run. Also, I only saw .7 volt (7/10 of one volt) sag under load. I think I am at the limit of this controller.

It is running great, though!

You are seriously pulling that many watts? Amazing.
Let me help you out again on the pics. Shrink them and attach them to the reply. Zip files are a pita. Looks like the handlebars should be higher to be more comfortable. Your hands are numb from putting all your weight on them. Your butt should take the weight.

Thanks!

We just got a Mac. I cannot figure out how to compress images on this computer. The only way they will post is in a Zip (I hate Zip files too).

Can you give me any info on compressing files with my Mac?

My hands do not fall asleep when riding smooth roads. I had the bars 3 inches higher before. But, the wheelie tendency is far less with them lower. It also corners far better with the lower bars. It is not very comfortable for long rides, though.......

Yup, 13,200 watts. It is a freakin MONSTER! But, it is rideable at this point. I ordered a fan cooled 4 turn wye for it. That should make it possible to wheelie, while being extremely rideable and more efficient.

Matt

recumpence said:
We just got a Mac. I cannot figure out how to compress images on this computer. The only way they will post is in a Zip (I hate Zip files too).

Can you give me any info on compressing files with my Mac?

There's lots of applications you could download, but here's a simple one that will already be on your Mac: ColorSync Utility

Search for it with Spotlight (the magnifying glass in the top right hand corner of the screen). Open a photo in it and click the 'Adjust Image Size' icon. There you can resize it and adjust the image quality till file size is small enough.

For displaying images inline, I think the limits are 800 pixels wide and 250Kb max size.

I use the program "Reduce" on my iPad which was either dirt cheap or free, I forget right now. I can tell you it works very good, very fast and super easy to use.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reduce-batch-resize-images/id580474806?mt=8

Tom

dustyearlobe said:
What ever happened to the optical sensors,would this not help making it sensored :?:

There are issues with sensored systems too. One major problem is low versus high speed timing. These sensorless controllers have floating timing that makes them perform well at low and High rpm.

Sensors are good for starting from a stop. But, I always pedal to start anyway.

matt

Hi Matt,

recumpence said:
dustyearlobe said:
What ever happened to the optical sensors,would this not help making it sensored :?:
There are issues with sensored systems too. One major problem is low versus high speed timing. These sensorless controllers have floating timing that makes them perform well at low and High rpm.
These Sinusleistungs FOC Sine Wave Controllers (on the expensive end of the spectrum) can start using the sensors, then switch to sensorless (thread here):
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=56088
23.11.2009:
The target set for this year with respect to the sensor SLS is reached: the software could with the new hardware a motor first turns to limit speed (iM still without load, but in sensorless mode) elicit! Finished, however, the new SW / HW is far, we have you still some (!) Teach subtleties ...
As a sensor, we will first take a AS5040 support. This intelligent Hall sensor generates an "A-quad-B + index" signal represents the absolute angular position even at a SPI interface zV This is important for the correct determination of the initial position, the engine has not yet brought about the index position as long as is! With a resolution of 1024 positions per mechanical revolution he would be good also suitable for high-pole motors. The "drawback" of the matter: the sensor would actually already be integrated mechanically and adjusted by the engine manufacturer in the engine ...

17/10/2009:
The development of sensor-SLS Making Progress: the revised hardware with even more powerful DSP core has arrived. The next step is to transfer and firmware upgrade. We have since set out to do something, because the new hardware is designed to support the sensorless mode as before and allow additional also to operate with position sensors. Then full torque could already be produced with the engine. I
SLSi_02.jpg

eg SLS-60-240 (water cooling)
- Battery voltage of 16Vdc to 60Vdc (14S LiPo)
- Motor current to 240A
- Sealed with screw-cooling plate
- Screw ELKOs 4.400μF/100V/85 ° C
- About 1.150g incl. M8-Anschlußblöcke (including 30mm ² Cu bars and electrolytic capacitors)
from EUR 1.277,10 (990,- plus VAT)

SLS_V3.jpg

- Battery voltage of 16Vdc to 60Vdc (14S LiPo)
- Motor current to 200A
- Sealed with screw-cooling plate
- Input Schraub-ELKOs 4.400µF/100V/85°C
- About 480g (incl. 30mm² Cu-Schienen u. ELKOs)
ab EUR 821,10 (EUR 690,- plus VAT)

The Lebowski FOC Sine Wave Controllers (diy at this point) can also start using the sensors, then switch to sensorless and they also have a more advanced/innovative sensorless start-up mode that uses a high-frequency tone, to help determine the initial position.

I am pulling 14,000 watts with it at this point geared for 45mph. If I cruise at 25mph and hit the throttle, it will power wheelie even if I lean forward.

I have a Garmin automotive GPS mounted to the bars and I love it.

I have around 100 miles on the bike totally problem free.

I have gotten used to the power too.

Matt

Oh, also, I am using a Meanwell PSC 1000 as a charger running through a Watts Up meter to monitor the charge. This is the best charging solution I have run yet.

thats insane, a guy on another forum just made a castle creations 2028 mx500, also about 13,000 watts, its on youtube,, both seem scary :D

It is only scary if not setup properly and not ridden properly. I have the throttle response set very low (#2 at this point). That dampens out sharp throttle peaks while retaining ride-ability.

What is funny is that I can achieve 23wh per mile if I am careful, and still have huge power when I want it. Actually, when I ride the bike without thinking about my range at all, I see 32wh per mile consistently. That is riding with the occasional power wheelie, a bit of full throttle 45mph riding, and some general cruising ending with an overall average of 22 to 24mph for the entire ride.

I love this thing.......

Matt

At this point I installed a MRP fork (White Brothers), 224mm Hayes front rotor, Garmin GPS, and motorcycle mirrors. I also have the motor setup to be easy reconfigurable from Delta to Wye. In Wye I see 23wh per mile. In Delta it is 28 to 32 wh per mile.

I also installed 140mm cranks to provide greater ground clearance and I installed one of my torque limiters to minimize the wild wheelie tendency.

I LOVE this bike!

Here is one quickie pic of the bike. I will post more pictures later tonight when I have time. :)

Matt

Attachments

• Redbike1.JPG
    Redbike1.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 1,383
I see you use the home made pannier solution to solve the small triangle problem. I used that solution too. It's perfect for locating all that battery weight where you want it. Plus it can be made with metal shears and a rivet gun.

Yup. On such a small frame, panniers are one of the few solutions for decent AH capacity.

The bike has several hundred miles on it so far without a single problem.

Matt

Thanks, Man.

I have been riding ALOT. This thing just runs and runs and runs. I am pulling peaks of 300 amps on every ride and the controller is surviving just fine.

Oh, I did a range test and was able to get a touch over 40 miles in 20ah when riding very subdued at 20mph. :)

But, who wants to ride like that? I would rather increase my pack size and beat on it!

Matt

Back