48 volt Rear Golden Motor Noise

pgt400

1 kW
I have a 48 volt rear Golden Hub motor 1000w. I bought it used about 6 months ago, works fine but is a little noisey while cruising. Sounds like bearing nosie on gear cluster side, not constant but annoying on an otherwise silent ride. Is this normal for this motor? Can I get replacement bearing easily or would I have to go thru GM China? Thanks, Phil

Are you sure its not just the gear cluster freewheel? Some of the cheaper ones are a little noisy..

No, in fact I suspect it is the Freewheel. Does anyone know how to remove it? Slide off or screw off? Can I use any Bike Freewheel or would I need one from GM? Thanks for your help.

Phil

Yeah, you kind of need a special tool, but if you are creative you can get them off.. it screws the opposite way that you would be pedaling it...Most will fit, they are fairly universal, just get the same number of gears...

A standard screw on type cluster fits most of these hub motors. The normal cluster tool available in any bikeshop will get them off. A fair bit of a heave or lever on the end of a socket is required to break them free. Hub motors often require the tool to be bored out to fit properly; ebikes.ca and others have these. I modified my own with a rat tail file.

The quality of some clusters, speaking from experience here of my DNP 11 tooth here, leaves a bit to be desired. On buying mine the local bike shop guys criticized the quality and said to "keep it well lubricated" which I have done. It wobbles a fair bit and in reality is a shoddy piece of engineering. Despite this I seldom notice any noise and after over 3500km hasn't let me down.

It would pay to check the hub motors side cover screws as they can come loose and make funny noises also.

Back