48v 500W vs 48 1000W Rear Motor

mybike

100 W
Rear hub motor from ebay I am interested in rear hub motor from a choice from two 48v 500w or the 48v 1000w :?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36-48V-25...rtGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item2a3298e95f

Q1. Any one if the controller has a limiter cable [for UK roads]? I emailed the guy he said he is a reseller and did not know.
Q2. Will the 48v 1000w motor run on a 48v 500w controller?
Q3. Will the 48v 500w motor run on a 48v 1000w controller?
Q4. are the wires thicker on a 48v 1000w motor vs the 48v 500w motor so making it a better motor?

Where I live has plenty of hills [UK] so I need it to go up hills with ease with out burning out the motor.

Those motors are OK if you want to sustain a high speed on the flat. They've very heavy and need heavy batteries too, which makes you bike a bit unwieldy.

If it's hill-climbing you want, get a 500w geared motor like a Bafang BPM or MAC, which are lighter and have a lot more torque.

In case you haven't seen it, Oxydrive have slashed their prices for this week only. They do a plug-and-play kit with the Bafang CST cassette motor and a 13aH Samsung battery for £479 with cast iron guarantee and support. Plus, it's legal. The hill-climbing is better than most UK ebikes because the motor is relatively large. It's OK for heavy people with hills up to about 20%. Derestricted (through a setting in the LCD, it'll do about 24 mph in a 26" wheel.

http://www.oxydrive.co.uk/sale/sale-oxydrive-cst-ht-13ah.html

This is what it looks like on a bike.

That bike Looks nice d8veh.

I already have 5s 6 lipo packs 3 in series giving me 55.5v that’s not hot off the charger and the rest in parallel. I will be purchasing 3 more packs. I do not want a geared motor. I already replaced my gears on me modified Cyclamatic bike over a year ago and its running on these above lipo packs ok so far :wink: but it may be a matter of time I will be replacing the gears on it again.

So to be honest I am really interested in making one up with one of these motors from ebay so I need as much input on my questions and the motor.

1. me neither
2. Yes, but the controller is only rated for 500W so under load it will burn out sooner.
3. Yes, longer under load.
4. Yes
Get the 1000W motor. I started with 500W and bought a 1000W 2 weeks later. There's not much difference in cost and there's a lot of performance difference.

my suggest buy only 1000w hub motor. there is a big difference btw 500w. 500w hub motor i have seen it will heat up faster at 48v 1000w controller. if you are using 48v 1000w with the same controller or higher amps says 42amps/ 45amps controller the motor heat are lower. i have been using this 48v 1000w hub motor until today. ha ha more then 5years already, however i throw away the stock controller - there is nothing wrong , i wont used it anyway. no spoil . i keep few spare controllers huatong and green time. my suggestion this 48v1000 w will serve you well as long you stay a speed below 55kmh. btw.. most mtb frame are design 55kmh, and any much faster 63kmh you will sense your front wheel is going to be mr wheelie.

12 pounds for a kit? Seriously? That sounds more like a scam at that price.

But if it's real, get the 1000w. If you want 500w, just use half throttle.

Thanks All!

I will purchase the 48v 1000w kit motor this week end. :)
I did ask a question "Will the 48v 1000w motor run on a 48v 500w controller" the reason i asked was i don't know if the kit from ebay the controller that comes with the kit has a limiter (UK roads) as i will put a switch on it for On Road and Off Road.

If the controller that comes with the 1000w motor dos not have a limiter wire i am thinking of buying a controller from greenbikekit 48v 500w controller as it has a limiter as i don't see a 48v 1000w one on there. However i did find this on ebay and in the desciption says that it has a speed limiter.

Details of the controller from (thinking of getting this one) :?: What do you think!
http://www.greenbikekit.com/motor-controller/48v-500w-e-bike-brushless-dc-motor-controller.html

OR

Details of the controller from ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48V-60V-7...ial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item3a7172e4a4 (not sure) :?:

And dogman dan the kit is £209.95 Delivered you must of been looking at break discs kit for £12 may be and not the motor kit. Ive tried the link and it gos to ebay uk for the motor just select from a drop down box type motor kit.

if you play guitar, theres a chance that you have your own limiter laying around. You can use a potentiometer to set your speed.

That way you dont have to get an additional controller.

I bought a 48v 1000w rear hub kit from ebikeling and its got great speed and torque. I dont have many hills, but it has no problems climbing bridges. And thats using SLA's. I will be getting a li-ion soon from another member, and that will provide greater performance as well.

I dont worry about limiting speed, but if you have the parts to make your own, go for it. You get more appreciation out of your build that way.

having a extra controller has some benefits , just incase anthing goes wrong i can test a working one. i had also been thinking to buy a 48v 350watt or 500watt for my 48v1000w motor. my goal is to set max speed only 40kmh . my hope is to get more range. will it work, i believe in testing and find real results. i have two type of motor , i feel is much smoother to run a direct motor. i dont really like very torque pull, like my friend says like getting a shock each time when you press throttle.

kentlim26 And wesnewell thanks for your advise input I have taken both your advise from your experience and purchased a 48v 1000w motor it should me with me this week.

That’s true when I comes to torque pull! I already have a cyclamatic bike the motor is 250w motor I have a controller 36v 500w and run a 55.5v 5s lipo packs. I have to be careful when using throttle when slow (scary stuff).
I been looking to build a direct dive bike for sometime and finally I can. As I am in the UK there is a speed restriction at 15mph max SO I needed a controller that also has a speed limit wires on it so I am looking at the one from greenbikekit 48v 500w controller.

Thanks posting your real experience kentlim26 as that was so valuable.

welcome my friend. all here very infomative and helpful.

mybike said:
I been looking to build a direct dive bike for sometime and finally I can. As I am in the UK there is a speed restriction at 15mph max SO I needed a controller that also has a speed limit wires on it so I am looking at the one from greenbikekit 48v 500w controller.
If you want to limit the speed to 15mph, you've probably bought the wrong motor. You need one with a low-speed wiring. What is the speed of the one you ordered? Those 30 mph direct drive motors are good if you want to ride at a constant speed of over 20 mph. They're unsuitable for hilly UK rides at 15mph or less because you run into efficiency issues. Sorry if I've rained on your parade. I hope it works out for you. Please share your experience with it when you start using it.

The motor goes 27mph I believe it’s a low wind motor.
I have purchased a 500w controller and has a speed limit wire. I will put a switch on it for off road. Also will have a 3 speed switch.

I will post my results.

d8veh can you tell me what efficiency issues i will/ can have?

Motors are at their most efficient near maximum speed. A 27mph bike that never goes past 15mph will never run at it's best.

If you want to do 15mph, the motor should be designed for that. A geared motor could be chosen to hit that target speed. The gears would give an increase in torque and geared motors spin faster than the wheel speed. This means a 5:1 geared motor could be doing 100rpm, while a DD would still be doing 20rpm at the same road speed. Making the geared motor always more efficient and more powerful, even at half the power consumption.

I don't see the point of DD motors for speeds under 30mph, unless your in a really hot climate, where the plastic gears might melt.

I would sell it and get a 500w geared hub. You will get more power and range with less weight and expense. Even now, you could probably bin the DD motor and still be quids in due to battery costs.

I tried to tell you in post#2. That Oxydrive kit would give more torque than the motor you have and it would be a lot more efficient. The price has now gone back up to £700, so it's too late now.

That's a good explanation above.

To get torque out of yours, you need to go higher on the current. A 500w controller will be a bit gutless on the hills. You need about 25A at 48v to get any sort of meaningful torque, but then you need a big battery.

How it performs at 15mph depends on how the limiting works. It probably limits the throttle, so you'll have reduced power for the hills. You'd obviously get better performance if you don't restrict it.

27 mph is not a slow wind. It's about 360 rpm. For 15 mph you want one about 240 rpm.

Back