72v + users, do you use a pre-charge resistor?

a1726156-108-Resistors.jpg

from: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1726156

Im changing resistors.. they still gonna be 5w but im ditching the ceramic ones and getting the ones you have and making it similar to yours but instead of andersons I will use bullets...

I use a 100watt light bulb :)

I plug my Negative leads together, then I put this light bulb in series with the Red + battery lead and Red + Main controller lead wire.
I wait 5 to 10 seconds and then quickly put my two Red+ together, removing the light bulb from the circuit.
Oh, the things we learn here on the ES Forum! :twisted: :lol: I'm running a 128v nom battery pack. This lights up, briefly!

Tommy L sends.... \\m//

7414612158_7072ed0433_m.jpg

Tommy L said:
I use a 100watt light bulb :)

I plug my Negative leads together, then I put this light bulb in series with the Red + battery lead and Red + Main controller lead wire.
I wait 5 to 10 seconds and then quickly put my two Red+ together, removing the light bulb from the circuit.
Oh, the things we learn here on the ES Forum! :twisted: :lol: I'm running a 128v nom battery pack. This lights up, briefly!

Tommy L sends.... \\m//

7414612158_7072ed0433_m.jpg

not a bad idea. You could use a smaller, say 12 volt globe in series with another hunded-or-so resistor, for a easy way to know when things are charged, and that they're working each time you plug in!

sn0wchyld said:
not a bad idea. You could use a smaller, say 12 volt globe in series with another hunded-or-so resistor, for a easy way to know when things are charged, and that they're working each time you plug in!

Great Idea!

Tommy L sends.... \\m//

Would it work temporarily to just plug in a 6s battery first, unplug and then plug in the rest of the batteries. My controller seems to spark very little the first few times I used them, got worse though...

I got to get to the shops to buy all the resistors etc.

All I use is a crystalyte 40A key switch with 12AWG modified wires. I've been pumping peaks of over 100A through it for the last 3 years. All I have between the battery and the controller is this switch. 0 problems. no sparks, nothing.

Back