8Fun BBS01 Mid-Drive usable gear range ?

Ypedal

Staff member
Hey guys !

I recently got my hands on a BBS01, 48v drive .. put together a bike from spare parts and have gone for a few test rides.. ( detailed review to come shortly )

Question for those who have already dealt with this, i have a rear 24" wheel with 8sp cassette and given the single front sprocket on the motor ( vs the typical triple chainring ) does not provide a nice straight chain line and only runs smooth on the middle gear range from 3 to 6 or so.. If i go all the way to the lowest gear, the chain falls off the drive side.

Tempted to lace up a 3 speed hub with single speed.. :|

Mine used to do the same so I fitted a chain guide. Had to chop it a bit to get it to work well with the big ring but no dropped chains since then:-

IMAG06741_zpsdbdc841a.jpg

I've run BBS02 with two different internal gear hubs: Shimano 8-speed and old Raleigh 3-speed.
Great results with both.
A little concerned about whether the hubs can handle extra power long term, but so far so good.

Ypedal said:
If i go all the way to the lowest gear, the chain falls off the drive side.

Tempted to lace up a 3 speed hub with single speed.. :|

Have you tried reversing your chainring? Or maybe getting a bigger one (to better drive that 24" wheel) to fit on a new spider - that will bring your chain closer to the top gear line as well.

Savvas

Might do that once i install front brakes !! :lol:

Chain guide sounds like a short term plan, will do that for now until i order up some spokes for the 3 speed IGH

I have the c691 display with remote buttons, trying to figure out how to disable the damn PAS.. i hate that thing.....

Give the PAS a try. This is not a high power setup. I have a 48v BBS02 running on 14s(58v HOC) in a 26inch wheel and find the combination of setting assist level with throttle use works well on congested bike trails where I have to slow down and remain undetected around other cyclists and want speed on open trail. Getting cadence right with appropriate gear setting and power assist is the challenge. My throttle has very little range so having PAS is helpful. You will find that assist settings will change speed and power limiting. On highest assist setting I will draw 25a and go over 30mph while a middle setting will give 23mph and 15a.

yeah, i have to put a bit more seat time on it before casting final judgment ..

I briefly hooked up a CA to the pack and the BBS01 draws average 8 amps on speed 3, peak of 20.

The speed setting adjusts your PAS cadence, i don't like to spin fast ( bad knees, arthritis ).. no.1 is ideal for my preferred leg rpm, no.3 makes pedaling useless lol..

Ypedal said:
trying to figure out how to disable the damn PAS.. i hate that thing.....

You can't disable the PAS via the display, you need the software and programming cable for that - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58780

Its quite easy to disable the PAS simply by unplugging it internally. Just split the controller body from the main body and you will see the plug in there. I have also fitted a switch for a friend of mine who was not a fan of PAS. The switch simply breaks the positive feed to the PAS sensor. Gives you the ability to turn the PAS on and off. Very easy hack.

footloose said:
I've run BBS02 with two different internal gear hubs: Shimano 8-speed and old Raleigh 3-speed.
Great results with both. A little concerned about whether the hubs can handle extra power long term, but so far so good.
How long have you been running your IGH? Which do you like better and why? Thanks!

Ypedal said:
...trying to figure out how to disable the damn PAS.. i hate that thing.....
I ordered my BBS02 with the throttle set to unlimited. I can run with the throttle only, even with the PAS set to 0. Though with the PAS set to more than 1 I do not get enough exercise. I mostly ride it with the PAS at 1 and use the throttle when I want more power. When the PAS is set to more than 1 it's just too much for my riding style, as even with the BBS02 I want my exercise!

I have it on a Electra Townie and I have the feeling that though it works OK I want it on something heavier with good front disc brakes like BB7's min... I have a set of Hookworm's and may try that to see if I like the feel better. I have a cool, in triangle, battery mount I made for the Townie --- but am thinking of putting it on my Santa Cruz Superlight (not sure where the battery will go)...the Superlight has a very short wheel base and I like the longer wheel base of the Townie...The Townie is a 7 speed with only 1 chain ring and the BBS02 is perfect in that regard...the Superlight will have to ditch the front derailleur...just musing as I type...sorry.

Regarding the original post relating to gear range...the Townie has a 7 speed cluster at the hub...way more than I seem to need. I start out in 3 or 4 and almost immediately shift to 7.

I have an old torpedo 2 speed automatic shift... I really want to lace that up and try it, because its a pretty massive shift, and I love the idea of the bike automatically shifting after a certain speed is reached.

Not that great for the hilly area I live in now... But for a flatter cityscape... A two speed auto would be fantastic.
I wonder how they would take the motor load... They are designed to shift gear under load ( not a kickback shifter... But a genuine automatic )

Ypedal said:
i already have a Nuvinci on another bike :
http://ypedal.com/RC/RC.htm

it takes the power well, but it's heavy and not very efficient... i have a few SA 3 speed hubs i need to lace up :p

Sturmey Archer 3 speeds typically use a "key" to select the gear. And this is what tends to happen, when shifted under load (borrowed picture, but this same thing happened to my S3X):

779088d1362852788-sturmey-s3x-any-long-term-users-img_2855c2s_zps8681792d.jpg

I wouldn't pair one with a mid drive...

My experience with mid drive is a bit limited, but I found it fairly easy to adjust to throttle down, shift just pedaling, then throttle up. Almost like shifting a really old truck with no straight gears.

But that's a throttle bike, not pas. I'd be unplugging that pas before the install on one myself. Motorcycle rider, would be all twisting the handles if you took away my throttle.

RWP said:
footloose said:
Great results with both. A little concerned about whether the hubs can handle extra power long term, but so far so good.
How long have you been running your IGH? Which do you like better and why? Thanks!

Not big miles on either build.
Probably ~200 miles on the original Shimano 8 hub build.
Then moved BBS02 to a different bike, which already had a Raleigh 3. Probably <50 miles on that build so far.

I like the Shimano a bit better. Smoother hub overall, much wider range.

Tried shifting the Shimano under power a couple times, then stopped that quick. Hub did not like it. Have never shifted the Raleigh under power.

Found that a slight squeeze on brake to immediately cut power, then release brake while simultaneously rolling off throttle slightly, then shift, then roll throttle back on works very nicely. Sounds complicated, but isn't. Feels like riding motorcycle, but with slight squeeze of brake lever instead of full pull on clutch lever. Became second nature after just a few shifts.

I, too run the Alfine 8.
I too pull the brake lever just enough to cut motor power prior to shifting... ( before actual pad contact with rotor- I keep one brake just a little looser for this purpose )
I don't roll off throttle, because I am almost always riding pedal assist and I stop pedaling, as well... But still pull the brake a wee bit because the Bafang takes a second and a half to cut power just from your stopping pedaling.

I am considering moving to the Alfine 11... Because it offers two gears higher than the Alfine... And it might be nice under certain traffic conditions to be able to pull 35mph for short stretches.

Back