8Fun gears/clutch broken or what?

C.B.

1 mW
Hi,

I have an 8Fun rear hub motor, the SWXH.
Thing is, I've been using it without the battery pedaling to work for the entirety of the winter. The battery broke you see and the old body was getting overly disposed to the adipose so I decided to just pedal on until spring and get a new battery then.
When I now got the new battery it turns out the motor doesn't work properly. You can hear it heartily spinning inside the hub but it doesn't drive the wheel at all. It's like it's in neutral and won't engage gear. I've tried the obvious Jeremy Clarkson remedies such as running it at full speed whilst shaking and banging on the axle with a hammer to try and perhaps loosen it up a bit, thinking some moving parts are a bit rheumatic not having been used for so long. Alas to no avail.
Also, it used to make an 'owowowowowo'-noise when you dragged the bike backwards and that sound/recistance has completely gone away.

Does pedaling without power actually cause mechanical wear to the extent that it's worn out at this point or what is your prefered explanation?

Thanks!

Pedalling without power doesn't do it any harm, but it doesn't allow the clutch to engage, so it's probably now stuck. Most SWX clutches are sealed, so there's nothing you can do other than replace them. First, you need to dismantle the motor to see which clutch you have as there's different versions. You can get them from Greenbikekit.com or BMSBattery.com

d8veh said:
Pedalling without power doesn't do it any harm, but it doesn't allow the clutch to engage, so it's probably now stuck. Most SWX clutches are sealed, so there's nothing you can do other than replace them. First, you need to dismantle the motor to see which clutch you have as there's different versions. You can get them from Greenbikekit.com or BMSBattery.com

Thanks, seems reasonable enough. I'm in talks with greenbikekit and they keep insisting that I check and recheck the controller, which appears to me like an unlikely culprit for this problem from my point of view, albeit as a novice.

Will I be needing some tool one normally wouldn't find in a run-of-the-mill toolbox?

One other possibility is that the gears are shredded. Older Bafangs did that but the newer gears or one steel and 2 nylon works better but a bit noisier.
otherDoc

Are you sure it's hooked up right? I had the same prob, but I swapped the motor phase wires around like it said in the instructions and it worked fine.

The reason that they ask you to check the controller is probably that they think the motor might be running backwards. If you feel no resistance when rotating the wheel backwards or forwards, then it's a problem with the clutch or gears. Whichever it is, you need to open up the motor and replace the clutch with its gears. Before doing that, you might want to double check that the motor doesn't engage when you rotate the wheel both forwards and backwards

Back