9c wire through axle

Howie

10 mW
I just bought a second motor and the wires aren't coming through the end of the axle, but through the side of the axle, just in front of the brake disc mount. I've never seen that before and while it's cool not to have to worry about banging up the wires out the end, I'm not sure how to mount it.

I'm thinking a c washer or two inside the dropout with the wires exiting between the brake disc and the dropout and just zip tied up tight to keep them out of the brake disc. Has anyone else seen this? Does that seem like the way to go or am I missing something obvious?

Hi Howie,

My old brushed hub motors were manufactured like that. The wires should exit through the dropout opening. I.e., if you have vertical dropouts (all front forks, many rear wheels) the wires should go straight down. If you have horizontal rear dropouts the wires should go out the back. You should not need any other spacers to accommodate the wires. It would be okay, IMO, to also use C washers if a little more space is needed for the wires.

It does provide for a neater looking and better protected wire, but you still have to be careful not to damage the wires during wheel installation.

Generally the fork dropout is thick enough, to provide enough space for the wires to exit into that gap. C washers are good, and will make that gap a bit bigger.

The issue with this design is not the gap at the dropout, but rather whether the rotating hub cover can chafe the wires. If you get a spun motor in the dropouts, the wires will definitely get cut as they pass over the dropout like scissors. So pay attention to your torque control devices with that kind of wire exit.

Dogman said:
The issue with this design is not the gap at the dropout, but rather whether the rotating hub cover can chafe the wires.
Right, I always looped the wire out and added a couple of zip ties to the fork or chain stay to keep the wires near the bottom/outside away from the hub motor (or disk brake). Never had a problem on over a half dozen builds.

BTW 9 continent motor has the wires not coming out the end of the axle? That's a new one. Crystalyte and Aotema have always been the one with the wires running through a notch in the side of the axle. They are notorious for chafing the wires, despite a special plastic thingy on the clytes, that many toss as worse than nothing.

Just got it together and after playing with the wire combinations, I've got it up and running.

Whats strange is the wire doesn't come through the threaded section of the axle but on the flat side. I have it exiting out the back with a drip loop coming back forward and I just zip tied it real well to keep it out of the brake disc. I'm also running torque arms on both sides, I don't want it moving and I don't baby it either.

It does make for a cleaner look, I just wish I could say the same for my wiring. The wires off the motor only make it half way to the controller so I had to make some 12" jumpers to make the connection. After my winter riding experience, it's nice to have the bike back up and running now that the weathers nice. :)

Whats strange is the wire doesn't come through the threaded section of the axle but on the flat side

That does sound strange. How do you keep from pinching the wires when you tighten the axle nut? Picture?

Sorry about the double post. Something funny happened during submit...

Back