A good controller for the Puma motor?

Olavi

1 mW
Hi!

I am selecting components for my first 700C e-bike and probably I am going to order Puma motor, because it should have powerful torque and quite good top speed @ 48V. I am planning to start with 48V, but maybe later I will add a smaller booster Lipo pack to the 48V 20Ah LiFePO4 battery.

I would like to know, which controller would be good for Puma, a 12 fet Infineon from Knuckles or the latest Crystalyte 48V 40A with 12 x 4110 fets?

Does Infineon have a soft start issue with Puma?

Is there a working sensorless controller for geared motors?

I have read about people having hall sensor issues and I just wanted good reliability. Should I buy some spare hall sensors and go with sensored controller?

I have a couple hundered miles on mine and my cousin has atleast that with no issues. He is running a 30a infenion and I am running a 50a. I get 2000 watts pretty easy out of mine and he gets roughly 1800 watts out of his.

I have not noticed any excessive heat build up.
Not sure where you got the hall sensor issues from but I have not had any issues.

I would not change the setup I have if that means anything. 50a infenion controller 14s emoli and a puma rear. I also have a bafang and there is no comparison of the 2 in performance. The Puma is WAY better.

I would not ever recommend a direct drive motor over a freewheel

Fishmasterdan said:
I have a couple hundered miles on mine and my cousin has atleast that with no issues. He is running a 30a infenion and I am running a 50a. I get 2000 watts pretty easy out of mine and he gets roughly 1800 watts out of his.

Not sure where you got the hall sensor issues from but I have not had any issues.

I would not change the setup I have if that means anything. 50a infenion controller 14s emoli and a puma rear. I also have a bafang and there is no comparison of the 2 in performance. The Puma is WAY better.

I don't understand. Do you say that Cyclone type systems are to be preferrred always? Don't all hub motors "freewheel more or less? Mine (eZee) certainly freewheels like a plain front hub.

Curiously confused is all,

Reid, thanks.

I think Fishmasterdan wanted to say, that geared motors have internal freewheels and they have almost no drag, when you pedal faster than motor (motor is switched off). Ezee motor is also a geared motor, direct hubs are NC and Crystalyte.

According to Mark @ teamhybrid, he does not have rear motors right now and I have to pick a front motor. How different are rear and front Pumas, is there any way to attach a 3 speed freewheel to front Puma and convert it to a rear motor? :)

Sorry for the confusion Reid. I have to quick type at work. Olavi answered it

Olavi;
I cant answer your question about the Puma front but a BMC would work as well, from what I have read they are similar and cost about the same. I would recommend talking to the people at cycle 9 for the BMC I think they have the best customer support of any place I have contacted about hub motors.

I have a front motor and a rear motor and I prefer the rear motor purley based on saftey.

Fishmasterdan said:

How is your cousin getting 1800 watts out of a 30 amp controller? Is this at 52 volts. That would be 1500 watts.

I get about 25 amps at 52 volts or 1300 watts using the 30 amp infineon.

Fishmasterdan said:
Sorry for the confusion Reid. I have to quick type at work. Olavi answered it

Olavi;
I cant answer your question about the Puma front but a BMC would work as well, from what I have read they are similar and cost about the same. I would recommend talking to the people at cycle 9 for the BMC I think they have the best customer support of any place I have contacted about hub motors.

I have a front motor and a rear motor and I prefer the rear motor purley based on saftey.

I live in Eastern Europe and buying from USA or Canada would be expensive due to shipping costs and 18% VAT I have to pay when buying from non EU country. Teamhybrid is in EU and I don't have to pay additional taxes and therefore I have to select a front Puma.

A 48V 30-40A Infineon controller would be good enough?

I also have a 30a Infineon with a 600w BMC. The most I could get out of it was spikes of 26a and it cruised at 23a @ 52v. After I goobered up the shunt with solder and a bit of wire my wattsup showed a peak of 2430w :shock: . I got rid of some of the solder and now it peaks at 1950w. I am going to try a bigger infineon as I can't stand the "twitchy" throttle response at mid throttle. It wants to be either on or off. No mid range.

Nick

snowranger said:
How is your cousin getting 1800 watts out of a 30 amp controller? Is this at 52 volts. That would be 1500 watts.

I get about 25 amps at 52 volts or 1300 watts using the 30 amp infineon.
Well we run 14s emoli cells. 4.2 x 14= 58.8. divide that 1800 watts that shows peaks on a CA =30.6 amps.

If you want real data go over to the review section and look at the puma review. I have an eagle tree plugged into mine.

nicobie said:
I also have a 30a Infineon with a 600w BMC. The most I could get out of it was spikes of 26a and it cruised at 23a @ 52v. After I goobered up the shunt with solder and a bit of wire my wattsup showed a peak of 2430w . I got rid of some of the solder and now it peaks at 1950w. I am going to try a bigger infineon as I can't stand the "twitchy" throttle response at mid throttle. It wants to be either on or off. No mid range.

Mine is a little twitchy also at the mid range, but it doesnt seem to bad to me (I have the 50a one).

Olavi said:
A 48V 30-40A Infineon controller would be good enough?
Would be fine by me.

Back