A help me upgrade my scooter

Desertprep

1 kW
48V350W-EEC-Approved-Fashion-Adult-Electric-Pedal-Scooter-2-Wheel-Electric-Bike-ES-022-.jpg This is the smallest scooter that is comfortable for me. Arthritus in the hip ruled out pedaling a long time ago. 350 Watts at 48 volts just doesn't cut it. Larger scooters with more power are available but they are an issue to park, and do not sneak in an out if tracking so well. Typical speed for 48x350 is about 16mph. There may be a governor in there some where. I would like to be able to hit 30mph when I hit the open rural roads. Wheel size is 16". I have seen front forks for 18" that would fit but I am not sure if I can do the same for the back. Must upgrade: brakes to disk, and a better controller. Now for speed.. could go 48v x 1000 watts. Or could upgrade to 60v or 72v. The only electric things on this bike are the motor controller and headlight. Voltage change is not a problem. I sometimes carry a person on the back. So... how to get speed with the best efficiency (greatest distance on the battery pack)?

Is the range good? The first, cheapest thing to try is a controller that feeds the motor more power. It then remains to be seen if the hubmotor will happily use more current to produce a bit more speed, or not. If the batteries are junk, producing a lot of voltage sag under load and poor range, then you'd want to replace the batteries and controller first, and if the motor is still underpowered, go with a 2-3kw hubmotor instead. I had an X-Treme XM-3000 that would likely have met or exceeded your needs. although the build quality wasn't good...

Thanks. Good suggestions. Another MUST: the batteries will go. Some shops will let me order the scooter without a battery. I would not trust the motor with a controller that would throw more electricity at it.

Back