A123 20AH cells source?

BTW, I'm all for subsidizing all things related to alternative energy, but I'm steadfast against the government making loans or handing out money. It should always be done in the form of tax incentives, so the market makes the investment decisions.

John in CR said:
BTW, I'm all for subsidizing all things related to alternative energy, but I'm steadfast against the government making loans or handing out money. It should always be done in the form of tax incentives, so the market makes the investment decisions.

I would counter that tax incentives are not adequate to getting something off the ground that is designed to overthrow 100 years of practice for which commercial interests and consumer conditioning still remain deeply entrenched, but no matter. It's done, get over it. A123 Systems Inc, went broke. The new entity is not going to go back and pay the debts of the old one. That's life. Let's put the hyperbole away (the grants do not meet the definition of "theft") and get back to work. Your complaint should be aimed at the US government, not A123 Systems LLC, and certainly not at the truthful statements in my posts regarding grey market materials.

FWIW, I didn't notice how old most posts in the thread were until after I posted my comments. Had I noticed the dates, I wouldn't have said anything at all.

no,no, this is the definitive thread for people looking to source the A123 AMP20 cells, so please post away. The thread is in revival mode and you have some very relevant things to say about that and glad you did. FYI, I'm not, like many of my brothers here in ESland, a libertarian, which political philosophy would doom us all if pursued to its logical conclusions. But, to each their own, and to have a truly balanced conversation, it requires the whole darned spectrum. Tend to agree completely with wb9k on the matter. But all this excepting the give away to the TBTF banks. Best!

soooooooooooo.....back to my question as I'm not that interested in politics and subsidies, anyone had any experience with the french site I mentioned?

I am aware that any source, appart from Mavizen or buya123 is risky, nonetheless there are more reliable sources (like osnpower, as far as I can tell) and lesser ones (like victpower)...and the price gap between the "official" source and osnpower for instance is huge, even if it takes buying a couple of extra cells, that's where I was going when I asked my question

I've been quoted
"A type genuine A123 20Ah cell with non-original tabs(20mm).....................US$22/PC
B type genuine A123 20Ah cell with original tabs(28mm)............................US$36/PC (Only we OSN Power have the stock for this type cell)
"
at osnpower, and I do believe the price can drop a bit since I haven't mentioned I'me active in this forum (well...not a lot for the time being) which is about half price from buya123...that gets me thinking....

BrianMay said:
soooooooooooo.....back to my question as I'm not that interested in politics and subsidies, anyone had any experience with the french site I mentioned?
What and miss all the fun?
I am aware that any source, appart from Mavizen or buya123 is risky... at osnpower, and I do believe the price can drop a bit since I haven't mentioned I'm active in this forum (well...not a lot for the time being) which is about half price from buya123...that gets me thinking....
Since my old battery pack was an A123 AMP20 12S1P pack, and since I did the buy from victpower, and since I used up my stash of extra cells swapping them in as those cells failed (a 50% fail rate), and since I was hoping for better and wanting to keep that pack alive, I more so than most have explored EVERY possible source for the cells. If I were to buy more, I'd buy them from OSN. But, that's because buya123's minimum was a full carton of 20. Their web site only recently started listing a half carton of 10 ... http://www.buya123batteries.com/category_s/1825.htm, but OUT-OF-STOCK. If they do make that offer real, I'd buy one of those. But twice that is out-of-budget and too many {no one took me up on my offer of a carton-share}. Victpower? Absolutely no way! eBay - no way. That's it - two choices right now. I share my most recent correspondence with OSN:OSN-offer.png
That wikepedia reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoterms#EXW_.E2.80.93_Ex_Works_.28named_place_of_delivery.29.
arkmundi said:
Yikes, NOOOOOooooo. Read that article. So after all the shipping & import fees & taxes, the cost would be higher than originating the cells from buya123batteries.com, as the origin is Lenova MI and certified li-ion shipper, so no import duty, taxes, over-seas shipping, etc.

That's more or less my feeling...rc cells have a too short life cycle, prismatic cells (which I already have, 24 130ah Call) are too bulky and heavy for a motorcycle..this leaves me with the even more impossible to find kokam or eig or the a123...however $70 plus shipping and custom fees to Portugal would put them at maybe $100/cell...that's outrageous for my pocket!

BrianMay said:

I am aware that any source, appart from Mavizen or buya123 is risky, nonetheless there are more reliable sources (like osnpower, as far as I can tell) and lesser ones (like victpower)...and the price gap between the "official" source and osnpower for instance is huge, even if it takes buying a couple of extra cells, that's where I was going when I asked my question

I've been quoted
"A type genuine A123 20Ah cell with non-original tabs(20mm).....................US$22/PC
B type genuine A123 20Ah cell with original tabs(28mm)............................US$36/PC (Only we OSN Power have the stock for this type cell)
"
at osnpower, and I do believe the price can drop a bit since I haven't mentioned I'me active in this forum (well...not a lot for the time being) which is about half price from buya123...that gets me thinking....

Sorry for the detour.

If OSN has really fully replaced the original tabs on a cell (even the part on the cell interior?!?), I would avoid such cells like the plague unless a more thorough explanation makes that sound not so scary. As for the (B-grade?) original tab cells, they might be OK to use, but I'd want to see pics of actual cells --including ALL markings--before buying. A guaranteed capacity would be nice. Any cells from Korea are at least a couple of years old now. Not a big deal if they've been stored properly, but those are the question marks you run into with untested grey market cells. I do think the provenance of OSN's cells are shady, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

I would never go for cells with replaced tabs! I've changed directions so many times in this conversion that I am not yet ready to say "I'll chose these cells" (I already have 24 130Ah calbs laying around, never used...but they seem too bulky and heavy for a motorcycle)...I'm also considering the EIG cells option, not sure where to get them from either, but I may be able to score some not so used ones...

I was checking to see if anyone had some experience that could reassure me a bit before placing an order...as I said before, from the no-liable sources, osnpower seems to be the most reliable from testimonials, either that or pay 3x more for the absolute real deal (as they claim, at least)

I have a 24s A123 20ah pack 2yr. Plus and 486 cycles. I run at 30a and sometimes 40a works great. These cells got in a group buy replaced one cell as it fill up to fast. They came thru victpower witch I hate. But at the time they flooded the market.
Nancy at osn is great, but just a salesperson and believe what she sees. She does not know how to test cells or test cells herself.
Love you Nancy.

BrianMay said:
I would never go for cells with replaced tabs! I've changed directions so many times in this conversion that I am not yet ready to say "I'll chose these cells" (I already have 24 130Ah calbs laying around, never used...but they seem too bulky and heavy for a motorcycle)...I'm also considering the EIG cells option, not sure where to get them from either, but I may be able to score some not so used ones...

I was checking to see if anyone had some experience that could reassure me a bit before placing an order...as I said before, from the no-liable sources, osnpower seems to be the most reliable from testimonials, either that or pay 3x more for the absolute real deal (as they claim, at least)
NancyPeng.png
I'm in the process of compiling the best sources of cells to purchase from for my eWorc@Technocopia workshop.
999zip999 said:
Nancy at osn is great, but just a salesperson and believe what she sees. She does not know how to test cells or test cells herself. Love you Nancy.
Yea, I'm already on the record for http://buya123batteries.com or http://osnpower.com. Open to all suggestions for my compilation.

the only authentic source i am aware of is mavizen, and buya123batteries
i honestly would not trust any other sources re-selling dangerous left over grey market trash

davec said:
the only authentic source i am aware of is mavizen, and buya123batteries
i honestly would not trust any other sources re-selling dangerous left over grey market trash
I believe you're right but have never known for sure. Mavizen, now http://www.ebaracus.com/product-category/cells,
eBaracus is a trusted, quality supplier of zero carbon technology to the electric motorsports industry. With a wide range of quality components and products available, we’re your one stop resource for all zero carbon technology.
and http://www.buya123batteries.com/. According to wb9k, A123 under new management will soon release a line of plug & play eBike batteries, so watch for those.

Just to let anybody interested in A123 pouches.
"buyA123batteries" do not sell A123 cells anymore, they are not A123 dealer anymore.
I was waiting for them to get stock form A123 for weeks so I could place order, finally they notified me that they are not dealer anymore.
Simply inquiry to A123 web site and I A123 reffered me to dealer in Livonia, just kilometers from A123 plant.
Will be placing order with them for pouches.

Thanks Miro. I just filled out their request form ( in America) and we will see if they respond for AMP 20 cells.
otherDoc

BrianMay said:

Hello BrianMay, i bought a 24s1p amp20 pack from this seller two years ago. I am still unable to balance this pack because it is made from 12cells from a batch and 12 from another, and the charge caracteristic seems really different and take days to balance and keep 0,1volt delta. I must charge separately the 12cell with a single cell charger with the balance lead.

jpgey said:
BrianMay said:

Hello BrianMay, i bought a 24s1p amp20 pack from this seller two years ago. I am still unable to balance this pack because it is made from 12cells from a batch and 12 from another, and the charge caracteristic seems really different and take days to balance and keep 0,1volt delta. I must charge separately the 12cell with a single cell charger with the balance lead.
I'm having a similar problem with my split 12S pack after about 2 years. Once I get the new Multisport 16000 working on my trike, I will do some serious testing on the A123. I still have 2 extra cells.
otherDoc

miro13car said:
Just to let anybody interested in A123 pouches.
"buyA123batteries" do not sell A123 cells anymore, they are not A123 dealer anymore

I just got this emailed to me from A123 on 3/6/15, some ANR26650M1-B cells showed up on the site the next day in the inventory area, you might want to watch there or contact them about pouches. I have not purchased any cells from this site but would like to hear about any experiences from anyone who does give it a try.

Dear Valued A123 Customer:

A123 Systems is pleased to announce StorTronics® as our newest authorized North American Distributor to help our customers design and develop battery systems and get them to your door. In an effort to provide our customers with the best possible solution to getting your product delivered quickly and efficiently, we have established a strategic partnership with StorTronics® and consider this trusted relationship a key channel for supplying our quality product, with exceptional service.

A123’s Value Add Channel Partner Program (VACP) connects customers to approved strategic partners who have the knowledge and technical capabilities that are required to design and integrate advanced solutions using A123 technology. StorTronics® understands the technical aspects of the products and their applications and helps provide customers with solutions to their energy needs.

StorTronics® was founded in 1981 and is located in Livonia, Michigan. For more information and orders, please visit http://www.stortronics.com or http://www.a123batteries.com

I requested a quote from StorTronics on the ANR26650M1-B cell, they priced it at $10.50 a cell or $8.75 for a purchase of 100. They also added about the pouch cells "We do intend to stock the AMP20 cells. We currently have AMP20’s on order with A123 and expect delivery any day."

see this post before ordering from stortronics
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=67941

I've got wrinkled cell from a123rc not so long ago, but voltage good, no idea of capacity as yet or IR

Back