• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

A123 AMP20M1HD-A Battery pack kit

megacycle said:
Good Onya mate.
Nice clean design and fully functional and a well earned break.
Never made it to Malta myself, but been down to the Med' a few times, good time of year to go, b4 Oct.
:D :D.

Thanx bro. Going back home today. When back need to pack up rest of kit's to post them tomorrow morning.
Glad to go back.

I know when you shipped to me it was pretty fast. I am very much considering getting another 24s kit also.

I need to get 4 more cells then tear apart my 20s battery. May be a couple weeks , but expect another order
from me at some point in the future. Just have some other things to do first like fix the halls on my 5404 so
I can use my 18fet and get off this 12fet sensorless.

I too want to order another 6S kit. Just waiting for some paychecks to come in from work.
otherDoc

With these kits would it be possible to take a 24s and configure the pouches in a 12s2p arrangement?

What would be the drawbacks to doing that?

Would it be better to do it by turning every other pouch OR by putting in 12s and then turning the other 12s the opposite direction?

The reasons for the questions is a combination of:
- the physically available space of the factory battery location on a old Lafree step-thru (2 of the 12s kits will not fit) and
- the need for a LOT of Ah and
- a desire to not overvolt the factory boards by too much

Hi. Thanks for the question. I suppose that this configuration is not easily re-configurable to a 2P setup. Most likely you would loose tidiness of your pack.
Using 2 x 12S for 2P will require to use 2 x BMS's which is not cost effective.
I will look in to this today evening or tomorrow. I think i can come up with addition to my product range with 2P12S configuration with minor changes to original design. Expect the price to be 15% higher than equivalent 1P24S due to use of more copper to carry current between 2P sets + my labor. Balancing connectors will be as per 1P setup.
When do you need it? I cannot machine parts at my supplier as for single board therefore i would do it myself DIY in my shop and cannot guaranty visual quality of a CNC although usually my stuff comes out OK.
EDIT:
OK, came up with another layout for 2P12S.
Here is how groups connect:
2P12S.JPG

Actual board:
2P12S_good.JPG

Front cover:
2P12S_front.JPG

Copper interconnector:
2Pplate.png

It shows how 2P sets are interconnected. It would be 3mm copper flat bar. End terminals would remain unchanged. The overal dimensions will be 160x168, slightly smaller than 24S1P. Hope this helps.
Part list:
Threaded aluminium blocks - 24pcs.
Copper interconnectors - 11pcs.
Copper terminals - 2pcs
Bolts - 72pcs
etc.
Input please..

Those who need A123 cells can search alibaba for ONSpower. I just received an email from them:
"Hi Agnius,

Yes, we have the full tab brand new made in USA A123 20ah CELL,3.3V resting voltage?
How many pcs do you need, so I can quote
Best regards,
Cindy"

you can contact them at: osnbattery@hotmail.com

Agnisum, Thanks for the cell source and the quick redesign for the offer to accomodate my request. I'm impressed with the work I've seen on these kits and your build threads and I'm sure your DIY at home work would be acceptable. I'm not as concerned about how pretty it is as long as it works well; especially since it will still need to be cased up to protect the pouches. The smaller dimenson would allow even better casing than the standard 24s. The smaller custom one would also allow more room for the casing to fit in the Lafree frame.
I''m not conviced the BMS is essential as long the cells are bottom balanced, combinded with enough Ah, and adequate tracking of usage, to keep away from the steep edges of the charge and discharge curve. But I can see the balance connectors still being useful for checking individual cell voltages. hmmm decisions, decisions
Time frame is still open at this point as I am waiting for the funds to be transferred to me and still need to order the cells. I'm also still debating on LiFePo4 of A123 AMP20 pouches versus LiPo hardcase or possibly softpacks since I am planning to buy the connection method from you or icecube for the Lipo no matter which one I finally decide to go with. And of course there is the concern of the continured availability and price point of the A123 pouches if some go bad.
Real problem is me making up my mind and doing it. Once the funds are transferred I need to just go ahead and do something!!

Thanks again for being willing to make one specifically for my needs and even putting the design up. That is the kind of attention to customer service that sets you apart from so many other EV component manufacturers. And I believe you would deliver what you say when you say.

Thanks for good words. Yea, decisions, you are on your own here :)
I myself afraid of those lipo going bad and burning down my house:) I would say BMS is essential. I had tests done on my A123 pack and some do go of balance quick, i think for peace of mind they dont cost that much.

Agnisum,

Thanks, received my 16s kits today well packaged and in good shape. Crazy how the net werqs you can get cool stuff from far away places like Lithuania. These kits make it much easier to build the packs although I still have plenty of assembly werq to do.

Duane

Those individual chargers good idea hey.
How long's your charge time from empty.
They 250W total, couple of hours?

biohazardman said:
Agnisum,

Thanks, received my 16s kits today well packaged and in good shape. Crazy how the net werqs you can get cool stuff from far away places like Lithuania. These kits make it much easier to build the packs although I still have plenty of assembly werq to do.

Duane

Oh i'm glad you got it. I was checking the tracking and it would not change, thought it got stuck somewhere:) Hope all will be good with your build and kit.

megacycle said:
Those individual chargers good idea hey.
How long's your charge time from empty.
They 250W total, couple of hours?

I am charging at 3AMPs so might be almost 7 hours from empty. I beefed up traces on second run so it would hold 7amp's and that would be couple hours i guess. This is neat solution thou. When i was charging with icharger lots of time wasted on balancing, not with this charger thou all separate.

Now checked again and it looks like biohazardman has got his kit in 6 days, posted 21st and stevew and doctorbass still have not received theirs although posted 14th. dred0606 kit was posted same day as biohazardman but he has not got it yet. This is odd. Will have to check that when i return from Russia.

I've noticed this charger before. These kind of separate charging is indeed much better, faster especially. But I wonder if these thin wires can handle 7A current. The standard balancing wires are ment for mAmps, these wires don't look much thicker.

Be good if these chargers could be hacked for more for A123

Thanks for sharing Arkmundi. So the swap went without any problems for you then? Just checking if my design is backed up not only by my words to trust.
Hope you are well and your accident will not put you off of ebike'ing.
Regards
EDIT: Have you tried to slow charge damaged cell?

biohazardman said:
Agnisum,

Duane

I will just copy what you did since it also apply perfectly for me !!

Agnisum,

Perfect packaging!, high quality kit!! i'm impatient to assemble mine! :mrgreen: :wink:

I just have to test individually all my 32 cells before... :lol:

Doc

Oh, god, thanks Doc for that. I kept checking tracking and it was so long before it finally got there, was gonna call post office so they can check if it went missing. I hope you will like it and if time permits post your good/bad views here.
Thanks again for your purchase and support.

agniusm said:
Thanks for sharing Arkmundi. So the swap went without any problems for you then? Just checking if my design is backed up not only by my words to trust.
Hope you are well and your accident will not put you off of ebike'ing.
Regards
EDIT: Have you tried to slow charge damaged cell?
Hey, thanks. Yea, I'm saying the swap went well, and better than I expected. I wasn't sure I'd be able to pull and put in one cell from the middle of the pack, but it was easier than I thought it would be.

My accident has put me off some - I'm going to be way more cautious now. I believe it was the combination ebike, going faster than usual, and busy road that made me truly invisible and vunerable. As someone put it "pretend you're invisible". So giving way to every car I see. I've recovered and now that my pack is repaired, ready to start treking again. Hope all is well.

Anyone want to split a carton of cells from Victpower?
In my latest exchange with Xin, its apparent Victpower wants to ship cartons of 14 cells and won't ship fewer. Understandable that the ecnomics of handling & shipping would require such economies. I used my 2 extra cells from the orginal shipment to replace bummed out cells in my pack. I'd like to have replacement cells on hand, but not 14. Anyone interested in splitting a carton? USofA only. Because of the devries group buy experience, I'll accept payment at the time I ship to you, so after I have cells in hand and fully tested each. These will be short-tab cells.

Hi. Winter is coming so i build myself a battery for my car out of A123 cells and my kit. I still need to find old battery case. Here's how it looks:
IMAG0904.jpg

IMAG0905.jpg

IMAG0912.jpg

IMAG0913.jpg

IMAG0914.jpg

IMAG0916.jpg

Maybe someone will find it useful for building packs with my kit.

Back