A123 Nanophosphate white paper

sendler2112

100 kW
Here is the white paper from A123 explaining the nano tech design of their electrodes.
http://info.a123systems.com/Portals/133376/docs/whitepapers/a123%20whitepaper_nanophosphate.pdf

dnmun said:
this was a useful white paper. there is a good explanation of why lipo is subject to fire during thermal events and overcharge and why lifepo4 is not.

Except, in practice, the A123 pouches blow up same as anything else with overcharge.

I haven't seen that happen. Are there any videos of it. I have seen Amp20 cells shot through with a shotgun and cleaved with a hatchet without even getting hot. The shot through one still made 3.2v. It would have been fun to see a capacity test of that one with the giant hole in it. These appear to be really safe cells.

sendler2112 said:
I haven't seen that happen. Are there any videos of it. I have seen Amp20 cells shot through with a shotgun and cleaved with a hatchet without even getting hot. The shot through one still made 3.2v. It would have been fun to see a capacity test of that one with the giant hole in it. These appear to be really safe cells.

Amazingly, I've not had a single LiPo cell react from shooting it with bullets, or with an arrow. If a cell isn't overcharged, it can be surprisingly tough to get it to do many exciting things from physical trauma.

AMP20 cells explode in an impressive fireball when overcharged. The EVTV guys erupted one in a fireball by mistake indoors while charging, and managed to catch it on film mostly by luck. A small handful of other folks have erupted them into flames as well, but it takes substantial overcharge.

Back