Adding an indicator led after 48v switch...how?

r3volved

100 kW
*electronics noob warning*
I want to add an led after my main 48v switch as an 'on' indicator. Is this as easy as tapping into the main 48v circuit with enough resistance to the LED?

Yes you can add a resistor. Leds require about 10 milliamp, so a 5Kohm will do. Make sure it is a 0.5W wirewound to take the power....or, its probably better to take a low voltage feed from the controller, you can fit the led to the controller casing.

I'm trying to build a control box that sits at the handlebar level and separate from the controller.
Thanks for your help

Will the load on my LED be equal to the load going to controller?

r3volved said:
Will the load on my LED be equal to the load going to controller?

Eh? not sure what you mean, i think nope by a large margin.
Leds require 0.010A so you would connect your led(with resistor) from battery +ve to battery -ve.

If the led has to fit on the handle bars take a 5v feed from the throttle

What does your control box consist of?

Can you describe what you are doing. There are many ways to add a 'powered up' indicator

Why not put the LEDs on the 12V side of the converters? You can buy 12V leds that don't require any external resistors -just wire them to your 12V directly.

I wanted one on the 48v side after emergency battery switch to indicate battery is live. One after the the key to indicate the system is on. One after the 12v to indicate the converter is on. And one after my ignition switch to indicate throttle is on.

The 12v system will have an led to indicate lights on. One to indicate high beams. And one to indicate the USB is on.

I just don't know if it's as easy as wiring in a resistor and an led in parallel to the circuit, after the switch. Should I have a diod after the led?

I'd advise keeping it simpler, and much more informative, by using a 3 buck voltmeter as the "light".

Look on ebay, for the type with just two wires that runs on any voltage up to 60v. The voltmeter can wire into the main battery wire with a pair of T connections. Plug in battery, voltmeter lights up, AND tells you exactly what your voltage is. What good does a your battery has voltage, but still might be empty light?

Back