Adding assist for commute to mtb trails

veloman

10 MW
I want to add power to my normal mtb so I can get to the trails without spending too much energy on the road. I don't need a lot of power, even 300w peak/200w continuous would be enough.

My restrictions are:
- low budget - I don't want to put much money into this.
- convenience - I don't want to spend 5 or 10 minutes swapping out a hub wheel when I get to the trail
- mtb has knobby tires - so friction drive won't work
- mtb needs to not have any e-components left on it (other than a throttle and a wire) for when I hit the trails

I built a pusher with a 26" hub wheel. Built my own 2 axis hinge that attached to my seatpost, but it's still too unstable.

Using a small hub wheel would help, but I think I need to get the attachment arm down near my rear axle to get the weight lower. I've seen the Weezee, but that would mean spending money on a tiny hub wheel.
To make the joint simpler, I am thinking of doing a two wheeled pusher, so it can balance on it's own. Just add an arm with a 12" kid wheel to the other side of the hub drive wheel. That would work just like my instep cargo trailer.

As I said above, the most important thing is low cost and disconnect in under 30 seconds.

Sounds like friction drive territory. Not sure how cheap that can get, but I expect you can get mighty cheap using some kind of junk motor. Like 24v weedwhacker or something.

The not so cheap version here.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shareroller-add-on-e-power-for-bikes-scooters#/

Push trailer idea good too, but I'd make it with a cheap imitation bob trailer. One small hubmotor wheel in it. Amazon has the trailers at a good price.

Back