Advice needed - need new controller.

mistercrash

10 kW
I ride a heavy scooter limited to 32 km/h by law and the controller stopped working last week after many years. I don't want to fix it, I want to upgrade to a much better controller that would help me transform this slow scooter into a low speed motorcycle in the future (60 to 70 km/h). My budget is tight, about $350 USD. Help me choose a good one please

Thanks
Ray

Motor - for now it's a 500W hub with a 10 inch tire. The plan for the future is to upgrade to whatever motor I need for my goal.
Battery - for now it's an 18S20P made of Konions, 66.6V and 30Ah. The plan for the future is to upgrade to 14S36P of Tesla cells, 51.8V and 108Ah. I would like to go back to a 48V system capable of a lot of amps.
Terrain - mostly flat with the occasional 3 to 5 degree hills, not long ones, half a kilometer at the most.
Rider weight - 255 pounds
Scooter weight - 225 pounds with present battery.
Weather - 70s to 90s in the Summer, 10 to 0 in the Winter. I ride in the sun, the rain, the slush, the ice and snow.
Space - I have a good amount of room on the side of the scooter under the side skirts. I had a Lyen 18fet with a DC/DC converter with all the wiring and fuses for the power system and 12V system under one skirt with a little room to spare. I can put a significantly larger controller under the other skirt where there's presently nothing.
Cooling - plenty of cooling under the skirt. It is possible to bolt a thick aluminum plate to the chassis to secure the controller on and serve as extra heat sink.

If the new controller is programmable and I can limit the amps and speed then I was thinking I can run the motor and battery I have now until I upgrade both.

Thanks
Ray

Anyone? I can give more info if needed. My budget went up to around $400 for a new controller. I have been looking at the Kelly KLS7250D, I was told by one of the sales people that it can be run without a contactor but I am not sure if that is safe for the controller.

Thanks izeman,

I saw the crossroads thread about the Kelly KLS-S controllers. That is the thread which made me look at Kelly for controllers and I saw the KLS-D controllers. I also looked over Sabvoton, Golden Motors and a couple others. I can't afford a Sevcon, not even if it's used.

Back