Amps Required For Different 0-30mph Acceleration Times

xyster

10 MW
My bike's 0-30mph time back at 72 volts was ~13 seconds, so amps predicted in the chart were within 30% of my real-life observation. The difference is probably related at least partially to unfactored wind resistance.

Attachments

• e-bike_acceleration_amps.jpg
    e-bike_acceleration_amps.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,561
Hmm... that's interesting. My Vego is pretty much off the chart.
When I first looked at it, I thought the rider weighed 265 lbs and I was thinking if you ate fewer donuts you could really improve the acceleration, but I see that must be total vehicle+rider weight.

0 to 30 mph in ten seconds is good... I'll have to figure that out for my bike sometime...

Well here are my result for 0 to 10 mph = Infinity
I go 32 KM/hr max

Maybe today I'll do a 0-20mph (32kph) slowpoke's graph :)

My Vego is pretty much off the chart.
Quantify, plz.

When I first looked at it, I thought the rider weighed 265 lbs and I was thinking if you ate fewer donuts you could really improve the acceleration, but I see that must be total vehicle+rider weight.

Yes, it's total weight. But you're right about the donuts anyway :) Weighing 175, I'm 20 lbs over-fat for my present musculature. I'm really working hard pedaling the bike so that we, the bike and me, can be the best hybrid EV we can be. At 90 lbs, the bike needs a diet too, frankly :) Guess I've been feeding it too much lithium lately!

0 to 30 mph in ten seconds is good... I'll have to figure that out for my bike sometime
Yep, and that was before the most recent voltage increase. I'm now bursting with confidence my bike can smoke any Yugo in the world :) I'll run another battery of acceleration and hill climbing tests once my spokes are fixed.

xyster said:
[...]Yep, and that was before the most recent voltage increase. I'm now bursting with confidence my bike can smoke any Yugo in the world :) I'll run another battery of acceleration and hill climbing tests once my spokes are fixed.

I bet the dudes who own theese Yugos would debate that:

YUGOCORSA2.JPG

zastava850rac.jpg

At what voltage?

We'll take your numbers over to the 4qd calculator and see just how close they are.

It's running 48v.
I think the motor saturates at 60-70 amps, so that would be more realistic. Total weight 270lbs.

Ok, let's see what the silicon abacus tells us...
With the variables set as in the pic below:

0-28 mph in

4 seconds requires 100 amps
5 seconds requires 80 amps
6 seconds requires 67 amps

As the calculation does not appear to include wind resistance, these estimates are probably a little low. If I remembered my college physics a little better (or felt like studying right now), I'd write a script combining the functions of the 4qd current calculator, and kreuzotter speed and power calculator. Perhaps somebody else would like to?

http://www.4qd.co.uk/faq/current.html
http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

Attachments

• Clipboard.gif
    Clipboard.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 2,468
I'd say that's pretty close.
I've never actually used a stopwatch to measure the time vs. speed.
I'll have to find a datalogger someday.

Back