• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Another dead cyclist!

fractal

1 kW
Guys, a woman in her 30s has just been killed in front of my workplace in downtown Ottawa http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/10/11/cyclist-dies-after-being-hit-by-vehicle What the frock is going on!!!! I see motorists all the time driving downtown like frocking impatient maniacs. I dont know whose at fault but COME ON!!! My thoughts go out to her family and friends. Guys always remember, life is precious, BE SAFE!

Very sad indeed, condolences to the family.

KiM

fractal said:
What the frock is going on!!!!!

My condolences as well. Very sad.

What's going on is more and more people cycling due to the high cost of transportation and roads seeing a higher volumn of cyclists that drivers aren't looking for and aren't prepared to deal with.

Hopefully this will wake up the people in the Ottawa community to pay more attention when they drive, and for cyclists to be hyper-vigilent as they ride.

Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse... There really is a lot of animosity towards cyclists from drivers.

:(

Tony

Yep, sad story, but doesn't make cycling a dangerous activity. Very few people die from bicycle accidents in Canada. The number of cyclists raise, yet the fatalities lowers constantly.

image18.gif

MadRhino said:
Yep, sad story, but doesn't make cycling a dangerous activity. Very few people die from bicycle accidents in Canada. The number of cyclists raise, yet the fatalities lowers constantly.

A number of different studies indicate that the increasing number of bicycles on the street decrease accidents and fatalities. It seems paradoxical at first, but it appears that drivers become more aware of bikes and cause less damage to them when there are more bikes around. There seems to be safety in numbers.

It seems paradoxical at first, but it appears that drivers become more aware of bikes and cause less damage to them when there are more bikes around. There seems to be safety in numbers.

While this may be true, it's the pioneers that take the arrows and until numbers are up sufficiently, drivers will continue to go about their distracted way down the highway.

It happened a few hundred feet from me this morning as I was walking to a meeting at that location. When I arrived, people had just lifted the car and pulled her from under it. It was total chaos with people running everywhere, yelling and crying. Her helmet was still behind the rear wheel, completely crushed. The ambulance arrived just a minute later.

My collegue who was heading to the same meeting as me and left a minute earlier saw it right in front of her. Apparently she was ran over by the car twice. I was told the driver didn't see/notice the cyclist and either backed up on her or continued forward when she was still under the car (not sure about this, I just heard it from the witnesses on the side of the street). My collegue said she heard the bones being crushed. She had to leave work and head back home as she was in shock and could not stop crying.

I ride in that area every morning and I'm thankfull my bike is fast enough so I can stay in the middle of the street with the cars and not risk being doored at any moment.

That is just awful.

taken from cbc.ca :
« Witnesses said she was cycling along Queen Street between Metcalfe and O’Connor streets when a driver opened the door of a parked vehicle.
The cyclist either was hit by the door, or veered out to avoid it, and was run over by a passing car, witnesses said. »

Attachments

• li-cyclist-killed-620.jpg
    li-cyclist-killed-620.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,948
Just signed up because of this post... this is pretty sad. Made me feel a bit uneasy since I just got back to work after being home for lunch and I was cut off by a car that decided to go into the turning lane without warning. I was coasting up and was able to quickly move onto the sidewalk (thankfully there was a ramp there). I have to blame it on poor car driving skills. I drive a car and a bike, so I can understand whats its like to be in both situations. There is no excuse for something like this to happen. As a driver you need to be checking your mirrors before switching lanes,opening doors etc... Another reminder to me to be extra cautious. I also think that driving instructors need to educate new drivers how to handle sharing the streets with a bicycle.

pwd said:
Just signed up because of this post... this is pretty sad. Made me feel a bit uneasy since I just got back to work after being home for lunch and I was cut off by a car that decided to go into the turning lane without warning. I was coasting up and was able to quickly move onto the sidewalk (thankfully there was a ramp there). I have to blame it on poor car driving skills. I drive a car and a bike, so I can understand whats its like to be in both situations. There is no excuse for something like this to happen. As a driver you need to be checking your mirrors before switching lanes,opening doors etc... Another reminder to me to be extra cautious. I also think that driving instructors need to educate new drivers how to handle sharing the streets with a bicycle.

Welcome to the forum pwd, its too bad that your first post is about a lethal biking accident. Biking is supposed to be fun and e-biking is even more fun, its not supposed to be deadly. When stuff like this happens in your own backyard, it sure puts things back into perspective...my beautiful wife, my beautiful daughter and family... I like powerful e-bikes and performance, but I always put my safety and the safety of others first when I ride, and this accident sure is a reminder of that (even if she wasn't on an e-bike). That being said, pwd maybe you are already familiar with this forum but there is a ton of info here on everything (including safety), your questions will more likely be answered (mine were and still are :D )

Ouch, doored then squished. Another example of the extreme, helmet couldn't help, kind of deal.

But just looking at the pic, I see a place I personally would hesitate to ride a bike. Don't know how you urban riders do it, unless the ride is really that short. Routes where every inch of it risks getting doored. Woah. For 30 miles a day, my route must be inherently safe most of the way. Sorry if this is blame the rider talk, but some cyclists simply trust cars and thier drivers way too much.

Re fatality statistics, somehow we got through the main summer riding season without one in my area. Wonder how that happened? Low price of gas? Sure can't be the drivers got better.

dogman said:
Don't know how you urban riders do it, unless the ride is really that short. Routes where every inch of it risks getting doored.

Safest place is the middle of the car lane. That's what I do and that's what most experience urban riders I see downtown do. Much less risks of being doored or being hit by cars pulling out of the underground parkings that are under pretty much every high rise building downtown.

Nevertheless, I had a few close calls in the past, and I found that my Airzound was invaluable in making my presence known to everybody in a 100 feet radius. Its also a good way to bring attention to my middle finger after being cut off by a cell-phone wielding moron.

El_Steak said:
I ride in that area every morning and I'm thankfull my bike is fast enough so I can stay in the middle of the street with the cars and not risk being doored at any moment.

That's exactly where i'm at these days.
Ride in the road, ride fast. Act as if i'm a car... no bullshit moves like running through stoplights etc.

I feel 4 times safer in the car lane doing 35mph.
Cars know what to expect.

neptronix said:
El_Steak said:

That's exactly where i'm at these days.
Ride in the road, ride fast. Act as if i'm a car... no bullshit moves like running through stoplights etc.

I feel 4 times safer in the car lane doing 35mph.
Cars know what to expect.

Exactly.

If you're going to ride on the road, own the road, ride like you're meant to be there and obey traffic laws while remaining hyper-vigilant. That and being as visible as possible.

One short section of my route is 6 lane road, and I need to be left to make a turn. Strategy one is to wait, quite a while if need be. Then I get into the left lane and own it. Once a car approaches from behind I am eyballing his every move, giving him the hug with me if you dare look. Not many honk, even with white hair I guess i still look like a house framer.

For sure, no riding around way to the right getting doored.

I am truly sorry for that woman. My wife and I rided highly visible trikes with Magicshine flashers and still occasionally find people running stopsigns on side streets in town. I have found it to be much safer near the middle of a 2 lane street than staying on the far right. People simply do not see you early enough! The flashers really help!
otherDoc

We shouldn't have to dress like neon xmas trees to ride a bike.

We can make ourselves and our machines as visible as possible but it doesn't do any good if some stunned turd isn't paying attention to what it's doing with a deadly weapon.

The killers will walk free.
Our social sickness makes us worship the car.

While it is very sad that she was killed, and the driver that hit her and the driver that opened their door were both probably at fault as much as she was, the first thing I'd say is that if she had been riding far enough out to prevent getting doored, and staying out there, she probably wouldn't have been hit. :( Lots of cyclists (including me many years ago) ride zigzagging in and out of parked car spaces, instead of riding >4 feet to the left of the entire row the whole time.

Doing the zigzagging is a really good way to not be seen until the last moment, when it's too late for either of you to do anything about it. Even with mirrors that you're paying attention to, you could still miss someone coming up on you.

If you're in a car or any other vehicle, would you drive like that? Probably not. You'd probably keep out of door range the whole way down.

It's highly likely to get yelled at, honked at, and all the other stupid stuff aggressive morons do when they feel impeded by a slower vehicle, but it's still safer on most roads to ride in the traffic lane than to keep zigzagging around obstacles on the right side of it, no matter how fast or slow you are going. If all cyclists did that, eventually even the morons would get used to it, and most of them would stop the yelling and honking. Those that don't, perhaps you could get them a ticket for it to teach them a lesson, if the law there is like it is here (illegal to honk at cyclists or to honk while passing one).

Roads where cars are going extremely fast past you, 40-50MPH or more, are unlikely to have parked vehicles on them like that, so not so much of a worry and sticking to the right is probably safest, and waiting for gaps in traffic to go around obstacles if any do come up.

But usually, it's safer to stay in the traffic flow.

I also agree with Zootkatz--the killer will rpobably walk free, their only punishment the memory of what they did (whcih hopefully will affect them greatly).

[if she had been riding far enough out to prevent getting doored, and staying out there, she probably wouldn't have been hit.
This gets you pulled over by the cops. Taking the lane if a single lane does as well. Drive closer to the parked cars and if a door opens DO NOT SWERVE drive into the door join and hopefully come to a soft stop by hitting the door opener(aka the human).

El_Steak said:
dogman said:
Don't know how you urban riders do it, unless the ride is really that short. Routes where every inch of it risks getting doored.

Safest place is the middle of the car lane. That's what I do and that's what most experience urban riders I see downtown do. Much less risks of being doored or being hit by cars pulling out of the underground parkings that are under pretty much every high rise building downtown.

Nevertheless, I had a few close calls in the past, and I found that my Airzound was invaluable in making my presence known to everybody in a 100 feet radius. Its also a good way to bring attention to my middle finger after being cut off by a cell-phone wielding moron.

Yep, in the lane and all over the lane within the spaces and going slightly faster than they are with enough power and positional awareness to avoid them if they try to hit you, even intentionally...that's how to minimize your chances of an accident. I'm far more worried about a dog causing a serious crash for me than any car. Cars are much more predictable with easily identifiable zones of high risk, such as within door reach of any parked car and next to one approaching any intersection. Dogs are unpredictable and quick. The second worse are weekend cyclists, but giving them a wide berth makes them low risk. Cars are just a simple obstacle course with plenty of room to maneuver at the proper speed, but at low speed at the side of the road wearing all the equipment, lights and reflectors you want leaves your life in the hands of idiots in cages, and you can only count on them to avoid being turned into a meat pancake.

Thank goodness she was wearing a helmet or else that would dominate the discussion. Too bad she didn't subscribe to El Steak, GCinDC, et al's form of riding that probably would have prevented it completely.

Swerve only if you know there is room to. And you should know whats up back there at all times if riding in the urban spot. It sounds a bit like this one may have hit the door and bounced into or under the car. Fortunately, in NM we do have the law on our side to take the lane when we must. Still up to you to mad dog that guy honking behind you enough for him to start being polite.

Good point about riding the parking lane and swerving out when a car is parked. Best be real aware you don't ride into the vulnerable place doing that. In general, swerving around taking an unpredictable path is what bikes do that drives car drivers nuts. And it can make them decide wrong, and smush you. All that in and out of parking lots, on and off the sidwalk, ride up the street the wrong way, etc just makes your getting tagged more likely.

Out in the lane and predictable can be best in some places for sure. Just gotta have an exit strategy for when that guy catching up with you is dialing his phone and never sees you at all. Or, have him unable to catch you, :twisted: the way we ride a street motorcycle.

Re the helmet, if it's the day your number is up, hoka hey. If it's your day to die, and you avoid the door and outrun the car, then you walk in the office door and get eletrocuted touching the coffepot.

very sad to see this, but yes another example of how dangerous it is to cycle in the door zone, I always cycle 8 foot out from any car, this generally isnt a problem in built up areas as I am normally going quick enough not to annoy most car drivers there still are the must get in front brigade that hoot and holler sometimes, I dont care I aint getting doored for anybody.

This video is a great instruction in what to do and why you should do it as far as the door zone goes.

[youtube]1TQ7aID1jHs[/youtube]

knoxie said:
... I am normally going quick enough not to annoy most car drivers there still are the must get in front brigade that hoot and holler sometimes....

They don't hoot and holler much down here, just the occasional jerk in a hurry to be late who tries to pass. I say "tries" because I just love to roll on the throttle to deny a pass when I feel it's inappropriate in the circumstances. I often take advantage of the next opportunity in traffic stoppage (though I typically use the leftover spaces to zip on my way) to explain to the driver what they did wrong. Sometimes it actually soaks in, ending in a handshake through the window and an apology. 1 down 100's of millions to go.

knoxie said:
I dont care I aint getting doored for anybody
+1 !

On average, I come close to being hit every other time I ride. Motorists, generally, just don't give a flying f@ck.
Even if you get hit and survive you rarely have any practical legal recourse. Someone can kill you and just get a ticket, or even no ticket. It is sheer madness.

Back