Are quick-release wheels safe for e-bikes?

trav

10 W
I have wondered about this ever since I started this project. The motor on my bike is in the rear wheel, but the front wheel is secured to the fork with a quick release mechanism.

After thinking critically about it and doing some reading, a quick release mechanism actually seems like it could be safer since it wouldn't wiggle loose over time. On the flip side, Nord locks don't wiggle loose, either.

What do you guys think? Are quick-release wheels okay, or would only a fool use them? Explain your thoughts!

I use them on my bikes. I don't see a problem for road use. You might want something a bit stronger if you do off-road stuff.

No problem. Just crank them down good, and they won't come off.

Only issue is some joker flipping the lever on your wheel.

Do you mean a QR motor axle, or just using QR wheels for the non motored wheel on an ebike?

No reason a motor can't be Quick release, except for the added expense of making them. the wires would have to be rerouted out of the motor, meaning bigger bearings, carriers, stronger axle material, and some way to integrate the torque arm which would be even more important.

I change my QR skewers to security skewers. It might take a little more time when it comes to tire/tube changes, but the added security is great. I usually don't have to lock my front wheels since the locking skewers are enough and I also don't have to worry about some punk flipping the lever loose.

With Tidalforce bikes, the wheels all have quick release skewers, however, the motorized rear wheel also has a built-in torque arm so it would be very tough for the wheel to fall of when the TA is doing it's job.

dogman said:
Only issue is some joker flipping the lever on your wheel.

Another issue is you the rider..forgetting to flip the lever yourself...I know..I did it...luckily my forks have the little lips around the drop out, so even when the lever is not flipped all the way it still holds the wheel.

I had just pulled off from the line, with a little power wheelie, with no incident...only when I got home and lifter the bike over a step in to a shed...did the front wheel drop off...woudl have been very embarrassing if it happened on the road.

But otherwise, no reason not to use them

Back