Are some brands of tires better than others

parajared

10 kW
I was rather disheartened to find that cheapo Kenda motorbike tires last and perform just about as good as the expensive Michelin tires I was using on my Honda dirtbike for years. I suspect you can get the same sort of savings on bicycles. I tried Schwalbe Big Apple ($38) and then tried Bell "Freestyle" ($17) and the Freestyles definitely degraded down to bare tread much faster than the Big Apples.

I have come to the conclusion that Bell brand tires are not really worth the savings, but I still like the idea of getting high quality for less money. I have been looking at offerings from Maxxis, Kenda, Schwalbe, Hutchison, Schwinn, Odyssey, Michelin, and Contenental. Is there a brand of tire that sticks out as offering a lot of "bang for the buck?"

Also before someone asks; I am a trike rider (20" wheels), I think Mario Kart is awesome (I ride more aggressively than most), and I ride street 60% of the time and trail the other 40%.
Thanks,
Jared

parajared said:
I was rather disheartened to find that cheapo Kenda motorbike tires last and perform just about as good as the expensive Michelin tires I was using on my Honda dirtbike for years. I suspect you can get the same sort of savings on bicycles. I tried Schwalbe Big Apple ($38) and then tried Bell "Freestyle" ($17) and the Freestyles definitely degraded down to bare tread much faster than the Big Apples.

I have come to the conclusion that Bell brand tires are not really worth the savings, but I still like the idea of getting high quality for less money. I have been looking at offerings from Maxxis, Kenda, Schwalbe, Hutchison, Schwinn, Odyssey, Michelin, and Contenental. Is there a brand of tire that sticks out as offering a lot of "bang for the buck?"

Also before someone asks; I am a trike rider (20" wheels), I think Mario Kart is awesome (I ride more aggressively than most), and I ride street 60% of the time and trail the other 40%.
Thanks,
Jared

I like Kenda in the "bang for buck" category. I feel many of their offerings are quite good and can be found at VERY reasonable prices. I use (or rather was using) Kenda Urbans on a 700c commuter. It's a grippy street tire that was only $22.76 for a pair ($30 shipped). I have used some other kendas (don't remember their names) and have never been disappointed.

Maxxis Hookworms have been wearing like iron for me.

The rest never staying on long enough to matter as I was trying all sorts before settling in on the Hookworms.

~KF

parajared said:
Is there a brand of tire that sticks out as offering a lot of "bang for the buck?"

CST tires offer excellent value. They are basically Maxxis tires without the inflated Maxxis prices. The same company also makes Cheng Shin tires, which are cheap to the point of being pretty awful.

Kenda makes lousy tires and good tires under the same brand name, and the price usually lets you know which kind you are getting.

Freedom tires (budget brand from WTB) are well priced for what they are.

Michelin, Specialized, Bontrager, WTB, and Continental tires are all overrated and overpriced IMO. They are decent tires if you can get a good price on them.

Panaracer and Schwalbe tires are expensive, but often worth the extra cost in my observation. It sort of depends on the application. I wouldn't put $50 tires on a loaner bike, or a rough-n-ready utility bike for riding into harm's way. For a joyrider, sure. For a mission-critical commuter, you bet.

Some Forte branded tires from Performance Bike are rebadged Panaracer models, and these are excellent tires for the money.

Kingfish said:

The rest never staying on long enough to matter as I was trying all sorts before settling in on the Hookworms.

~KF

I second that too!

The Hookworms also worked as well on the paved road as well on the sand !! :shock:

Doctorbass said:
Kingfish said:

~KF

I second that too!

The Hookworms also worked as well on the paved road as well on the sand !! :shock:

There is a caveat to that-- the Hookworm comes in two types-- 2-ply and 1-ply. The 1-ply kind is the same as the CST Cyclops, only much more expensive. The 2-ply kind is thicker, and almost as tough as a racing motorcycle tire. It's slower, heavier, and more expensive than the Cyclops, so it really only makes sense for e-motorcycles rather than e-bicycles.

Awesome thanks guys,
Before the price of shipping, Hookworms are even cheaper than Wal-Mart Bell tires right now!

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of these:
16.49 + 4.75 shipping each
http://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-20X1-95-Hookworm-Bmx-Tire/dp/B001C65GHS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370486591&sr=8-2&keywords=maxxis+hookworm

51590nnSw-L._SX385_.jpg

Are some brands of tires better than others

Nope. They are all precisely identical. :pancake: :roll: :mrgreen:

well they do all come from the same factory.

CST brand tires are offered by Cheng Shin Rubber Ind. Co. Ltd. (Cheng Shin Tire). Employing more than 20,000 people, Cheng Shin Tire is the largest manufacturer of bicycle tires in the world and offers products in many other categories as well.

10th largest tire manufacturer in the world overall according to wiki.

I have some cst bft (big front tire) 2.5" wire bead , seems to be a single ply, and i will say after around 500- 1000 hard charging miles on my 75 pound dh bike with 15s lipo and nine c rear its holding up pretty well both front and rear. these are a copy of the maxxis minion or dhf, a very very popular downhill racing tire (actually THE tire to have), and like they say made in the same factory. I have some outer knobbies starting to separate a bit from the main casing, but very happy at the price ( you find out yourself). i run them both front and rear. good in wet, mud, ice not great, trails great. also running one of these is my friend sigma on the forums runs a rear cromotor in a narrow rim and he had issues with casing breaKDOWN near the bead. in many spots at once. but i fear he is a (victim?) of low tire pressure and also breaking the sound barrier with th (30s lipo, 26" wheel)is tire (sold him another one, he was fairly happy with it overall). so overall a 9/10 for the CST BIG FING TIRE !!!! :mrgreen:

try niagra cycles

Chalo said:
There is a caveat to that-- the Hookworm comes in two types-- 2-ply and 1-ply. The 1-ply kind is the same as the CST Cyclops, only much more expensive. The 2-ply kind is thicker, and almost as tough as a racing motorcycle tire. It's slower, heavier, and more expensive than the Cyclops, so it really only makes sense for e-motorcycles rather than e-bicycles.
Can't find 2-ply anymore :cry:

I believe they were designed for DH racing, though it's an urban assault tire. Websites will try to sell Hookworms without specifying the ply. The workaround is to note the weight of the tire which is typically given, and the 2-ply will be heavier. Let me know if you find a stash :)

Though for what I know, 2-ply are no longer available and it's been that way for more than a year. I've been looking into DOT tires as an alternative upgrade:

• There's not much choice in the 19 and 21 inch (24- & 26 bike equivalent) range ...that is if they made them and were available. Closer is 17 and 18. There's a better selection outside Norte America. My frame is limited out to 2.92-inch wide; I'm not certain I could fit one on the rear bigger than 2.50 inches as it's pretty tight now. Though going into DOT-level opens up another level of quality, and if wishes were horses that beggars could ride, I would set my sites on Continental Conti-Go or Michelin Sporty Pilot - both displaying Hookworm-like tread.
Typical Euro selection
Typical American selection... pitiful :(

If only we could find an importer from the outside :idea:
My ½ watt, KF

Kingfish said:
Chalo said:
Can't find 2-ply anymore :cry:

I believe they were designed for DH racing, though it's an urban assault tire. Websites will try to sell Hookworms without specifying the ply. The workaround is to note the weight of the tire which is typically given, and the 2-ply will be heavier. Let me know if you find a stash :)

Bummer. There isn't another tire equivalent to the 2-ply Hookworm, as far as I know.

My regular wholesale supplier says the 26x2.5" Hookworm has a 60tpi casing and weighs 1125g. The 26x2.4" Cyclops is listed with 120tpi casing and 1010g. To me, that does suggest that the Hookworm is a tiny bit tougher and possibly a little slower with its coarser casing, but still single-ply as you suggest. The published figures from that wholesaler are not particularly reliable, though.

Frankly, I'm surprised to see 120tpi fabric on the Cyclops. I'll have to look at a specimen in the shop to see if I can confirm this.

Chalo said:
Frankly, I'm surprised to see 120tpi fabric on the Cyclops. I'll have to look at a specimen in the shop to see if I can confirm this.
For what it's worth, the catalog copy on the sites I've looked at CSTS on says 60 tpi which seems more probable.

-dg said:
Chalo said:
For what it's worth, the catalog copy on the sites I've looked at CSTS on says 60 tpi which seems more probable.

I counted threads in a Cyclops casing today. They are indeed 60tpi tires and not 120tpi as published in my distributor's catalog.

All my experience is with the cheap stuff. I've used up quite a few of the bell tires from walmart or kmart. No idea who makes them. Usually about 20 bucks, and no waiting for them to come.

I find them good for about 2000 ebike miles, or till they get cut. At about 2000 miles, they still have some usable tread, but that is generally the point at which the cheap tires cords are failing. This is due to the extremely bad heat cracks in roads in the SW deserts. Lots of glass, nails, and other shit in the road, so few have actually stayed on the bike for 2000 miles. This is why I haven't been trying a long run quality tire on my street bikes.

A typical bike shaped object however, comes with a really special tire. The tread on those vanishes in 500 miles or less. Fine, since no typical buyer rides them close to that far.

Replaced CST Cyclops yesterday - 26" rear about 4k miles, 220lb rider, 25MPH ebike @ 65lbs.
CSTwornCyclops.jpg

I did the Schwalbe "brand" thing for a few sets. Good tires but couldn't justify 2-3x price while most models were not as wide as I prefer.

Ykick said:
I did the Schwalbe "brand" thing for a few sets. Good tires but couldn't justify 2-3x price while most models were not as wide as I prefer.
On the flip-side, I thought the Schwalbe Ice Spiker (winter studded) did wear well despite the lack of snow. Not much selection in that field for wide winter tires - but I give them kudos for making a good niche product there.

~KF

dogman said:
All my experience is with the cheap stuff. I've used up quite a few of the bell tires from walmart or kmart. No idea who makes them.

If you inspect the raised lettering on the tire, you can often find a manufacturer marking. It's often Vee Rubber or Innova, who both are capable of making decent tires, but who usually do not.

I noticed very similar tread patters in the innova line. But I suspect bell uses different manufacturers at times too.

Must be nice to go 4000 miles without dismounting a tire. The city refuses to use it's street sweepers on the bike lanes I use the most, because they are on frontage of state Hwy 70. So the state hwy dept sweeper is responsible for removing the glass and metal. This happened on about a 1 year interval pre 2008. We got one pass from the sweeper this spring, first one in 4 full years. Once I make it into town, things are better, but there are no good alternate routes on the east mesa, so I ride the dirty frontage for 6 miles to get to town.

So I cut tires constantly. I bought a push broom, and adopted the route I ride the most, between my house and a small shopping center and the flea market.

I got semi slick for my main ride due to limited room for the wheel but my secondary bike has hookworms and i want no other.
Hookworm for president!

Back