axle hardware washers

rheo

1 mW
Good evening.

I've just received a Mac motor laced into a 27.5 inch wheel. I'm planning on putting it on the bike soon.

Researching online I found this picture, with the washers arranged in a way I plan to do it - plus I will add a torque arm.

correct.jpg

The kit includes all the above hardware but also has some spring washers like below.

Where is that best placed? Should I leave them out?

2506050-40.jpg

rheo said:
Good evening.

I've just received a Mac motor laced into a 27.5 inch wheel. I'm planning on putting it on the bike soon.

Researching online I found this picture, with the washers arranged in a way I plan to do it - plus I will add a torque arm.

correct.jpg

The kit includes all the above hardware but also has some spring washers like below.

Where is that best placed? Should I leave them out?

2506050-40.jpg

Assuming you will be using a good quality torque arm, I'd keep the washer that's on the inside of the dropout, and only use washers on the outside of the dropout necessary to align the torque arm, if needed, to anchor it to the frame.

That's not a spring washer, it's a lock washer to keep the Nut from backing off. With my Torque Arms had to limit my washers and even filed on some to fit. Needed to get every thread and not have the nut on the end of the axel.

Edit: Changed Axel to axel.

Your TA will replace the tabbed washer. Split lockwasher probably not needed.

LOL, the tabbed washer in their instructional photo is ineffective in that dropout! Dropout is too shallow for the tab to have any real effect.

OP if yours is similar you might want to relieve file the dropout to allow the larger diameter axle to fully bottom out in the dropout.

These are better than the ones in the picture. And you can put them on the inside if you have enough axle room. They're sold in different widths too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Torque-Washer-Electric-Bicycle-Electric-Bike-Fittings-Hub-M12-M14-New-Useful/297828482

marty said:
An axle is a rounded shaft or rod that connects two wheels.
An "axle" does not have to be round or straight ... example: Ford Model "A" front axle.
A "axle" is a mechanical part that one or more wheels rotates around (note some axles rotate with a wheel or wheels).
I believe you may be referring to an "axle shaft" but someone is likely to correct me as well :?

Thanks everyone for your answers I am new and it's helping me a lot. I've decided to convert the bike to a single speed as my 9 speed cassette wouldn't work as 8th and 9th gears would rub against the frame. I wouldn't really use the gears anyway so thought that me be an easy way to solve it.

When I tightened up the lockring the included spacer sits below the lockring instead of passing through and staying slightly above. From watching this video it should be slightly above? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh65XAgvrkU

I think I could solve that by adding one of these however I am in Australia and shipping will be long and expensive.
https://ebikes.ca/spacewash3.html

Is there anything else i can do?
Does the local bike shop sell one I can drill out to fit the flat axle?

mbRi0XW.jpg

rheo said:
Is there anything else i can do?
Does the local bike shop sell one I can drill out to fit the flat axle?

mbRi0XW.jpg

Take the tabbed washer that you aren't using and file the edges to fit/clear the lockring.

rheo said:
Did some more research... is it a 14mm cone nut or axel lock nut I need to add?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

it's an M12 X 1.25 nut I need (metric extra fine) for the casette axel on the Mac hub motor.

Back