Bafang BBS01 on classic Pashley English bicycle

greenspark

100 W
Here is the latest of the Bafang BBS01 mid-mount motors, this time installed on a Pashley Princess Sovereign (see http://www.velo-ideale.com/product.php?pid=111).

Pashley has been making bikes in Stratford England since 1926 and the ride quality exceeds almost any modern aluminium bike. It comes fully equipped with hub brakes and hub generator, Brooks sprung saddle, tyre pump, rack and skirt guard, front woven basket, lights front & rear, and loud Dutch bell. Since the group buy of motors, we now have six Pashley's on the road, with backorder for more in the next shipment. This report is on transforming a classic into an ebike. The motor is the new Bafang BBS01 with a C961 display, 36V, set up for New Zealand's maximum 300W power.

file.php

• Since taking the photograph, we worked out how to detach the chain ring from the crank, so the original chrome cranks are now being used.
  • In our buyers group, one member found a NZ Armed Forces green bag that perfectly fits the CellMan 39v 11.2 Ah battery that zip ties nicely under the basket.
  • The full cover chain case would not fit, and we have not yet worked out what to cut out so it will. Thus, this one uses the Bafang supplied chain guard. Alternatively, the Pashley Sonnet hockey stick chain guard does fit OK
  • The installation was very easy. The motor fit without any grinding of the bottom bracket.
  • The Sonnet's 3-speed internal hub works great. The 5-speed that comes with the premium bike is probably overkill, but it works.
  • We did need to add links to the chain because the 44 tooth Pashley gear was replaced by the 46 tooth Bafang. In the future, we'll recommend buying a new chain if the client is paying for the assembly... much faster and easier. These kits were installed during an installation party, so time was not important
Over all, Pashley is a lovely, exceptionally comfortable classic English bike (anyone over 50 immediately starts talking about the bike they rode as a kid) that happens to be an excellent candidate for a mid-mount motor. If one disguised the motor with a bit of canvas, it would be very hard to know that it was power assist. The standard front basket immediately began doing duty carting two small dogs, earning the rider lots of smiles.

Attachments

• Pashley_0307.jpg
    Pashley_0307.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 2,047
Nice! I found the article on your NZ group buy and truly enjoyed the read. Surprised to find no interest or responses here, but again, I enjoyed reading about the NL bikes I had forgotten about.

Thanks!

Thanks,

I think sometimes a posting gets looked at, but if no one replies, it slowly sinks into oblivion. From what I am reading, this motor is such a hit that the factory is flat out. Paul (cell man) will be carrying them (good thing, because we can be assured we will get the right configuration), but I have not heard how its going.

greenspark said:
Thanks,

I think sometimes a posting gets looked at, but if no one replies, it slowly sinks into oblivion. From what I am reading, this motor is such a hit that the factory is flat out. Paul (cell man) will be carrying them (good thing, because we can be assured we will get the right configuration), but I have not heard how its going.
Mine is ordered, 36v 350w, along with his battery. He tells me it is shipping Tuesday, "if not before".

tomjasz said:
greenspark said:
Thanks,

Mine is ordered, 36v 350w, along with his battery. He tells me it is shipping Tuesday, "if not before".

What great news! I've been in San Francisco, and with a bit of marketing, I reckon someone could sell 100,000 units there alone.

That sure is a fine bike to put the bb drive on. Personally, I'd prefer the hockey stick chain guard.

Everything looks good except that battery mount. Zip ties? OMG. That's as bad as duct taping it on.

dogman said:
That sure is a fine bike to put the bb drive on. Personally, I'd prefer the hockey stick chain guard.

Everything looks good except that battery mount. Zip ties? OMG. That's as bad as duct taping it on.

Yeah, we ended up putting it in the basket on one and on the luggage rack on the other.

dogman said:
That's a bit of a fussy mod I'll have to face as well. In some cases it's looks neat and easy. Others, maybe not so easy.

dogman said:
Zip Ties? Ha! If we were to start pulling zip ties there should would be a lot ofwire hanging off of a helluva lot of conversions. :lol:

Zip ties work fine for their intended purpose, bundling wires. It seems like I go through a bag in a week sometimes. Fix a flat on the motor wheel, use up 10 zip ties.

I was scoffing their use to attach the battery to the bike. I constantly rag on folks for poor battery enclosures. Personally, I always eventually either crash, or just have the bike fall over. So I get OCD about battery placement and protection. Not even taking the risk of a fire into account, it's just too expensive to ding up batteries by throwing them in a bag, and taping or tying it onto the bike.

Of course, I know this cuz I did the same stupid thing myself at one point. :roll: Just one test ride, and I'll rig the battery better tomorrow. :roll: Then I buy a new battery tomorrow instead. :cry:

However, there are grades of zip tie that would be adequate. The huge fat ones designed for attaching flexible duct could be fine, or the ones used for handcuffs. Those I saw in the picture look sketchy to me. And to me, it looked like the basket would squash the battery if you put something in it.

But other than that nit pick, I think the bb drive on a quality utility bike is a damn good idea.

dogman said:
And to me, it looked like the basket would squash the battery if you put something in it.
/quote]
We first tried this approach, affixing it to the rack, but ended up putting it in the basket.

Having said that Cell Man's new batteries are about 2 kg for 40 w/hrs, cost less than the A123 battery and about half the size for more a/hrs. Less weight and bulk. And of course a utility bike has an easy life where stationary falling over is the worst it will experience.

greenspark said:
Having said that Cell Man's new batteries are about 2 kg for 40 w/hrs, cost less than the A123 battery and about half the size for more a/hrs. Less weight and bulk. And of course a utility bike has an easy life where stationary falling over is the worst it will experience.
Which batteries did you go with from him?

Nice conversion, I've done a few similar ones here in Aus with good success. The BBS01 does make for a good vintage conversion. The trick is to find a good steel frame with enough torsional stiffness across the downtubes. I've sat on a few and pushed the handlebars left/right, and it feels like the steer tube is joined to the seat tube via some rubber-like spaghetti.

tomjasz said:
greenspark said:
Which batteries did you go with from him?
SDI INR18650-29E 10S, 4P 36v (39) 11.2 a/hr 403.2 w/hr 2.12kg, 75mm x 83mm x 203mm (we bought 20 of these) and then I also tried the same, but in 5P config, plus some of the cheaper 2C NCM cells which seem to work fine in our 300W NZ spec motors.

Back