Bafang BBS02 with external controller

jonnybump

1 W
Hello all, in my quest to develop a more efficient bike, I have dug out my BBS02 mid drive and fitted it to my daily commuter. Now, the controller is dead - I know that - so I've hooked it up to my external controller that came with my 48v 1000w hub motor kit. The hall connectors have been disconnected.

It's acting strangely though - it pulls strongly up until a certain throttle point, when the motor (or controller) makes a weird electrical noise (not like a bang or anything, more like a high pitched whine that fluctuates in tone) and the power is cut. I can get back on the power by releasing the throttle and starting again.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks
Jon

Sorry I couldn't help.
Probably the "eRPM" limit in the controller--it can only commutate the motor so fast. Different controller designs have different limits; some will state what they are in the specs from the manufacturer/seller, and some won't.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=erpm&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=erpm&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=erpm&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

This is a very interesting idea. I have just had the controller in my BBS02 burn up while my bike was sitting in the garage. Display was turned off, however battery pack was turned on. Digging out the controller I discovered that something on the board seriously burned up (water perhaps).

I was about to order a new controller when I stumbled on your message. I like the idea of using an external controller located somewhere higher on the bike. Can you post a picture or specs of the controller you are using?

Turned out it was because I didn't plug the hall sensor wires in, simple as that.

Anshutz - I simply used the controller that came with the hub motor kit that I own. It's something similar to this cheap Chinese one on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-...725413?hash=item2a44224e65:g:hrgAAOSwxH1UG6Rt

s-l1600.jpg

One thing I have learnt in doing this test is that with the hub motor controller the drive unit is a bit noisier. The BBS02's stock internal controller is incredible quiet in comparison. Now you definitely know the bike is approaching! Did a test run on my commute today and got just under 20wh/mile over a 22 mile ride averaging 18mph with hardly any pedaling. Still not sure I'm going to stick with the mid drive as my hub motor was getting 26wh/mile for the same route and the hub motor seems so much easier to ride, without having to change gears all the time etc. Love the fact that the bike is so much lighter again though, and granny gear off the line is so much fun (can't see my chain lasting long!).

Jon

The BBSXX family of drives have a lot of reduction, so the motor actually spins VERY fast under normal operations. The eRPM suggestion by Amberwolf sounds like a good first suspect to tackle.

The louder buzzy noise on the external controller sounds like the difference between sine-wave and square/trapezoidal wave....just a guess, IDK.

Does anyone know if other controllers have been used successfully with the BBSXX drives? I'm wondering how well the Grin PhaseRunner would work as an alternative.
The BBS02 was my first foray into ebikes and it was great up until the circuit board fried. If possible, I think I'd like to run the BBS02 with a external controller. Perhaps a controller with ability to set a max current limit. I really know very little about this stuff so any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

replace a perfectly fitting, reasonably silent, relatively waterproof, easy to program/manipulate controller with an unknown.

I'd be buying another Bafang BBS controller. Cheap, works, neat, tidy done. It's pretty unlikely you'll improve over it with a cheap external controller.

I use my BBS bike as the reliable usual standard and play with my other bikes....

I don't disagree with you. Unfortunately my experience has not been great with the first controller. If the second controller I've ordered is more durable and reliable, I'll definitely stick with it. If not I'll be hard pressed to buy another. At $200 a pop to replace the controller here in Canada, I'd be hard pressed to call it cheap. You must have deeper pockets than me! :wink:

In the only programming function that really matters: increasing amperage, the Bafang comes in last. Sure you can do lots of tinkering around the margins with the OEM controller, but what we all really want is more power! And nobody has found a way to get that from the Bafang.......

Anschutz said:
I don't disagree with you. Unfortunately my experience has not been great with the first controller. If the second controller I've ordered is more durable and reliable, I'll definitely stick with it. If not I'll be hard pressed to buy another. At $200 a pop to replace the controller here in Canada, I'd be hard pressed to call it cheap. You must have deeper pockets than me! :wink:

Not sure how you are getting to $200? I usually buy parts direct from Chinese vendors, gbk, elifebike etc. GBK are listing the BBS01 controller for ~USD80? cant see a listing for BBS02 but its always worth an inquiry with those guys http://www.greenbikekit.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=bafang+controller

Most who attempt to modify these kits come to appreciate the main benefit of them - how well they work together/fit together as a package, rather than the ability to modify and squeeze more power out of them. Departing and attempting to get more power out of them typically hasn't gone very well... Most people who want to modify their kit or expect higher power out of it head down the GNG/Cyclone/Lightning Rods route rather than Bafang BBS01/02 for that very reason...

Each to their own, good luck!

Lurkin said:
Not sure how you are getting to $200?

Import duty and fees. Canadians get rapped and with the weaker CAD. But I agree on squeezing more out of anyone of the BBS series except the BBSHD. There's apparently some jump ups in the pipeline. But under threat of death I can't reveal. Actually I promised. While I am critical my word is golden.

My experience with the BBS02 controller has been quite the opposite. I bought my first BBS02 a few years back and got a few thousand miles out of it, and then it started cutting out until eventually it simply stopped working. A new controller fixed the problem only for it to return after a few hundred miles.
I used a hub motor from then, reliably I might add - and must have covered near 12k miles without issue. Saying that, I did crack a rim going over a pothole, but that was more my fault.
I bought a second BBS02 with upgraded controller (thinking this would prevent the issues with the old one) a few months back and it survived 80 miles then just died. Its still under warranty of course but to be honest I have lost faith in the unit. Display works, but no power to the motor whatsoever. That's why I decided to try it with the hub motor controller. I think the unit would be great if only it was reliable enough for my daily demand.
I've covered 200 miles on it with the external controller so far. Here's hoping it serves me well!

Jonnybump, care to show us a pic of the wiring you did on the external controller and the bbs? Would want to try this if my 2nd controller dies on me. My first one died a week ago :(

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Will post up when I next get chance to open up the motor casing. It was not difficult, just took a bit of trial and error.
I read somewhere that sine wave controllers are better for the gears than square wave due to vibration etc. I am using a square wave controller so will be a test dummy and report back my progress (ie. when the nylon gear self destructs!). I do many miles so will almost be like an accelerated long-term test - I'm covering around 250 miles per week.

Jon

Anybody know diameter of the bullet connectors Bafang uses in the BBS02? I hacked up some 4mm females to run it on the bench but they're too small. I'm guessing 5mm or 5.5mm? I shoulda checked with calipers while it was apart?

Ykick said:
Anybody know diameter of the bullet connectors Bafang uses in the BBS02? I hacked up some 4mm females to run it on the bench but they're too small. I'm guessing 5mm or 5.5mm? I shoulda checked with calipers while it was apart?
Frustrating, but be happy you didn't get the PIA first BBSHD with Anderson's.
argh.

tomjasz said:
Ykick said:
argh.

I like APP's for a lot of things but motor phase power isn't one of them.

I'm actually kinda excited about mating one of my Lyen 6FET 3077 controllers and CAV3 to the BBS02. With all of the throttle control available via the CAV3 I should be able to keep from beating the snot out of the drive unit?

Instead ordering 5mm bullets I might not ever use again I'll probably just replace them with 4mm bullets which I always have on hand?

Yeah Tom, I'm getting the impression you've experienced a large amount of BBSXX frustration? I've picked up a few things in other threads but it sounds like you've just about had enough?

If you want dead nuts reliability I think a good old DD hub is pretty hard to beat? Especially if you can just roll into a garage and ride on relatively flat terrain?

Ykick said:
tomjasz said:
Ykick said:
argh.

I like APP's for a lot of things but motor phase power isn't one of them.

I'm actually kinda excited about mating one of my Lyen 6FET 3077 controllers and CAV3 to the BBS02. With all of the throttle control available via the CAV3 I should be able to keep from beating the snot out of the drive unit?

Instead ordering 5mm bullets I might not ever use again I'll probably just replace them with 4mm bullets which I always have on hand?

Yeah Tom, I'm getting the impression you've experienced a large amount of BBSXX frustration? I've picked up a few things in other threads but it sounds like you've just about had enough?

If you want dead nuts reliability I think a good old DD hub is pretty hard to beat? Especially if you can just roll into a garage and ride on relatively flat terrain?
Finally got my BBS02 running again after a year hiatus from ebiking and can't wait to try programming my lyen and bbs02 setup. But, I do miss the low maintenance of a DD hub.

Back