Bafang BBSxx, replacement of bearings in bottom bracket

Thanks tomjasz,
I will need replace at least freewheel support bearing, it's number is 16003RS. As soon as I will have it, I am going to open bottom bracket.
https://youtu.be/4qhb_j8nxSM

Attachments

• axle_bbs.pdf
    586.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20150502_091353.jpg
    IMG_20150502_091353.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 4,049
So, I disassembled left side of bottom bracket and tight up better contra nuts based on DaDo.Bzz advice and it seems, it has fixed freewheel support bearing clearance.
Silicon washer could be replaced with some plastic.
ID: 17mm, OD: 26mm
I'm not sure how to properly tight up contra nuts if I don't have access to inner one.

Attachments

• IMG_20150502_135935.jpg
    IMG_20150502_135935.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 4,049
tomjasz said:
dusan said:
Hello bgt,
Can you please post link where bafang bottom bracket bearings can be ordered from Germany?
Thanks

I found, outside bearing on right side of bottom bracket has small clearance, I will probably replace it.
Bearing number is 16003RS.
I'm wondering if I will need to replace also others.
http://www.bike-emotion.org/pedelec-motoren/pedelec-tretlager-mittelmotoren/ersatzteile-zubehoer-fuer-bbs01-02/lagerschalen-set-bbs-motoren.php

This link is not work

Here is my silicone gasket, only run 40 km. I wonder what the Chinese think of when they perform to install a silicone seal between the nuts. When this error shows up repeatedly it should go up a light for those. They are so good at copying others' solutions but to find their own solution, proves to be difficult.

By the way. Can someone tell me how I open the first nut on the left side? I don´t now what type of tool I need to open these nut. Is it a "work around" to open it?

8Fun BBS-02 750W/48V
Serial no 150303334
Installed in a 2015 MTB Giant Talon 4 27.5 HT

Best regards
Paal

Attachments

• Gasket_1_a.jpg
    Gasket_1_a.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 3,979
Karius said:
tomjasz said:
dusan said:
Hello bgt, Can you please post link where bafang bottom bracket bearings can be ordered from Germany? Thanks I found, outside bearing on right side of bottom bracket has small clearance, I will probably replace it. Bearing number is 16003RS.I'm wondering if I will need to replace also others.
http://www.bike-emotion.org/pedelec-motoren/pedelec-tretlager-mittelmotoren/ersatzteile-zubehoer-fuer-bbs01-02/lagerschalen-set-bbs-motoren.php
This link is not work
maybe they are updating the site. I cannot get it either. But it is on Facebook.https://www.facebook.com/bike.emotion.org?fref=photo
Just ordered a 16003RS here: http://lagerkoning.nl/BO639615-kogellager-16003-rs-17x35x8mm

Karius said:
Here is my silicone gasket, only run 40 km. I wonder what the Chinese think of when they perform to install a silicone seal between the nuts. When this error shows up repeatedly it should go up a light for those. They are so good at copying others' solutions but to find their own solution, proves to be difficult.

By the way. Can someone tell me how I open the first nut on the left side? I don´t now what type of tool I need to open these nut. Is it a "work around" to open it?

I have exactly the same problem, discovered yesterday after only 30km total tide time. The link below shows complete disassembly. The nut removal is performed using needle-nose pliers. I will be trying this later today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfVAa5M6Nmk

After studying Arvicola Terrestris' picture of the crank shaft removed from the bottom bracket. Am I correct in assuming, that the left hand side has virtually zero protection from water entering and reaching the various bearings?

Can't see that rubber/silicon seal doing much to prevent dirt and water ingression :(

I'm afraid what you see is what we get.

I think inspection and greasing bearings may be a reasonable expectation and maintenance item. Especially on a high mileage daily runner used for commuting, and even more important on a MTB or FTB.

But let's not get this thread confused with the thousands of drives running daily without a glitch. The competition still hasn't matched or exceeded the abilities of this motor.

tomjasz said:
I'm afraid what you see is what we get.

I think inspection and greasing bearings may be a reasonable expectation and maintenance item. Especially on a high mileage daily runner used for commuting, and even more important on a MTB or FTB.

But let's not get this thread confused with the thousands of drives running daily without a glitch. The competition still hasn't matched or exceeded the abilities of this motor.

Yes, I agree tomjasz, it's difficult to stay focused on a thread's original subject, which is why some extra topic headings for the BBSxx would be useful.

I do hope that the following suggestion may help prevent one of the reasons why the bottom bracket internals can get damaged in the first place.
Dirt and water inside the bottom bracket housing, plus the combination of a strong rider who pedals all the time, may all be contributing factors.

I think people need to be aware to protect the bottom crank with something like a plastic bag, when using a hose or pressure washer to clean their bikes.

I realize this may be obvious to most, but some owners may think that the unit is totally protected from the elements, when it clearly is not.

Anyone think that it's worth smearing some axle or bearing grease around the end of the axle to try and seal it better?

Not as a total solution, but to help keep the elements out until service time:

Bafang BB.jpg

As soon as I can I'm heading to Fastenal headquarters to search for a replacement. I've also sent a replacement OEM to a gasket supplier. We'll see. Sadly theses little orders don't get suppliers very excited. Time will tell.

I have just bought a 750w 25a unit direct from china.
After 50 kms the freewheel screws came loose. When disassembly the unit I found it has a real rubber automotive type oil seal sealing the non drive side.
Looks like they have updated the design.

Chewy said:
I have just bought a 750w 25a unit direct from china.
After 50 kms the freewheel screws came loose. When disassembly the unit I found it has a real rubber automotive type oil seal sealing the non drive side.
Looks like they have updated the design.
Did you get a piccy of the seal Chewy?

I didn't sorry. I only realized it was an updated design after reading this thread.
The rubber/metal seal is on the outside, then the two preload jam nuts and then the thrust bearing. Seems a much simpler and logical solution to the old design with crushed rubber ring.

phiz said:
After 1500 miles my left thrust bearing turned into dust. Thanks to this excellent thread I was able to replace them with no issues.

I ordered the thrust bearings from http://www.california-ebike.com. They cost $20.70 each (paypal). I also got new needle bearings from http://www.california-ebike.com since it was open and they were $6.90 each. I tapped them out / in using a 1/2 piece of PVC pipe. Shipping was $10 and it arrived in two days.

Hi phiz, (or anyone else who knows the answer)
I too have an exploded thrust bearing. I have it all took apart, but the inner thrust bearing races on both the left and the right are stuck in there pretty good. So behind these are the needle bearings because I can see them and feel them in there. What, if anything is between the needle bearings? Is there some sort of spacer in there? To remove the rest of the bottom bracket innards, do I just gently tap them out from either side and push the whole stack through? How did you know how deep to tap them when you replaced them?

Thanks!

BRK

There have been changes in the case as well. From 5 screw to 7. Sorry no pictures just a description from a vendor.

IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF POSTERS ADDED THEIR SERIAL NUMBERS Adding serial numbers helps us see when changes were made. Sadly we have no data o serial numbers for any updates.

tomjasz said:
There have been changes in the case as well. From 5 screw to 7. Sorry no pictures just a description from a vendor.

Chewy also wrote:

'The rubber/metal seal is on the outside, then the two preload jam nuts and then the thrust bearing. Seems a much simpler and logical solution to the old design with crushed rubber ring'

Good to see that Bafang are changing the design for the better all the time :D

I advertised my pack to my supplier in China, and he sent me this picture. The suppliers have drawn arrow and written text in the picture. I see that the nut he points out, has a different placement of the holes than I have. I do not quite understand what he means by this picture. Language problems are a major issue. I write and speak bad English, and so does my provider too.

I'm currently quite confused.

Chewy: Did you have the opportunity to take a picture of your motor? Nice if you have the serial number of your motor too.
unnamed.png
Regards

8Fun BBS-02 750W / 48V
Serial no 150303334

It won't let me post photos as they are too large.
My serial number starts with 1504 so I guess April 2015 manufacturing date ?

Karius said:
I advertised my pack to my supplier in China, and he sent me this picture. The suppliers have drawn arrow and written text in the picture. I see that the nut he points out, has a different placement of the holes than I have. I do not quite understand what he means by this picture. Language problems are a major issue. I write and speak bad English, and so does my provider too.

I'm currently quite confused.

Chewy: Did you have the opportunity to take a picture of your motor? Nice if you have the serial number of your motor too.

Regards

8Fun BBS-02 750W / 48V
Serial no 150303334

That arrow is pointing to the new seal.

I am confused how it would be removed to access the shaft bearing adjustment locknuts :?

I pried it out with a small pick. If you are careful you won't damage it.

Chewy said:
It won't let me post photos as they are too large.
My serial number starts with 1504 so I guess April 2015 manufacturing date ?

Try using a photo editing program to crop the picture down in size. You can use Microsoft Office Picture Manager or similar :D

Hello Chewy!
I have send you a PM (personal message) with my email address. Send me the picture(s), and then I will adjust the size of it. I think many people will appreciate to see it.

Regards
Karius

Back