• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Balance charging 2 x 7s Lipo

Hey all, hope this is the right place for this question. Honestly there probably is no right place since I feel like I should have been able to find this information myself. But alas, it was not to be.

I'm building a 14s2p 10Ah lipo pack using 7s packs, a fairly rare configuration, which makes things a bit more difficult, but still better than alternative ways of arriving at a 14s pack. I have found a few chargers that should work for my needs, but the descriptions leave a little something to be desired, to put it politely.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...art-charger-discharger-management-system.html

I have downloaded and read the entire user manual, and nowhere does it mention anything about the type of input or output connectors used. Are the XT60? XT90? Something else? My packs all use XT90 series and parallel connectors, with 10awg wire, from start to finish. Will I need to buy some XT90-to-XT60 adapters? And what about the power source? I have to imagine that power sources will come with a variety of output connector types, so don't want to buy one that won't work with this charger.

Most people I've seen with hobby chargers use cheap mean well clones with screw down terminals. But you could put whatever connectors you like on. If you get a psu that is closer to the output voltage the charger will have to do less work and might be less noisy.

210506_4re~2.jpg

210506_1re.jpg

The circled black plug is what needs to be coming off your battery for balancing. I'm not sure what it's called, maybe a JST, but that's just a guess. There's adaptors you can get if your battery has a different plug, say if the charger goes to 10s, there's an adapter board to make it still fill the port, and usually multiple spots for plugging a 6s or 7s etc.
The other pictures shows the port it goes into, and the plug for the battery mains, but can't tell if it's a 60 or a 90.
They usually plan around hooking to a car battery, because most people drive to where they use their RC stuff, so I've used 12v battery with a charger plugged into the wall, but you're not supposed to go 12v wall charger straight to the multicharger. It says 7-30v input, so maybe a power supply out of a scrapped computer, which I've also used.
It probably comes with a power wire for the unit, that has a plug on one end, and red/black clips for a car battery, that you can put whatever connector on you need for the wall power.

Fyi, I'm using two 7s packs also, series-ed. I usually just bulk charge with a 14s charger, and manually balance them thru the balance plug using an rc charger set for 1s.
I got the packs free from a Solowheel place, and still have the 7s BMSs from them, but they've stayed so in balance so it hasn't been worth wiring them in.

Back