• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

battery choices

chisixer6

1 kW
Since Hobby King(USA) is very slow in refilling their Lifepo batteries, I am going to finally jump into the Lipo scene, despite the danger.

I want to get 3 Zippy flightmax 6s Lipos. here is what decided on.

Zippy flightmax 6s 5a
15c....$52.12 ea

20c... $51.81 ea

25c... $54.33 ea

As you can see, price is very close. which would you choose? would I be wasting $6.63 if I picked the 25c?

I am planning to order tommorrow. Unless otherwise, I will order the 25c.

thanks

Jerry

Highest C should have the lowest voltage sag, generaly. Not that it matters much unless you're pulling close to the C rating.

The Higher C are generaly a little bigger and heavier. that might make a diffrence for mounting. I know I can't fit anything bigger than the 4 15C on one of my bikes, and 6 20C on another. without reducing the number of packs I carry.

Assuming you will be running a 5 ah 18s pack, the higher c rate might be better. Even if you are going to use a low amp controller, it will make a difference, cooler pack at the end of the ride.

Drunkskunk & Dogman;

I looked at the weight and it ranges 817g to 844g, I don't think it is much, as my lifepo 6c weighs 1039g, size wise, all 3 lipos are about the simlar in size 6"x 2 x 2, with 5mm give or take, while my lifepo is 6" x 2 x 3.

I am using this with a Lyens 3077 contoller.

I will initally use this as a 5a 18s pack, when I get some more $$$, I will get another 3, for 10aand later another 3 for 15a.

Today I did the Bike the Lake Shore dr ride, one way, a distance of around 8 miles, with 15s pack( 5 x 3s lifepo 4.5a), this was barely enough. thanks again...

Just go easy on the dod with the 5 ah pack. I did the same thing, bought enough for 5 ah, then bought more later. Nearly all the 20 or so packs that were bought later were always run 10 ah. So they never got really hammered hard with deep dod even in races.

But the original 4 packs got deep dod, sometimes at 10c and deep dod. They lasted less than 50 cycles, and conked out one by one with one cell dead. I took em past 3.5v multiple times practicing with the race bike, thinking anything above 3v was fine.

The others are now showing some wear, but at 150 cycles and still stay balanced fine.

Back