Battery for small motorcycle - Golden Motors 3 kW 48 V

steppe

1 mW
Hi!

I'm doing a small motorcycle / moped build over here: Small motorcycle / moped conversion - General 5 Sachs, and I have a couple of questions regarding the battery.

I plan on using a 3kW BLDC from Golden Motors with the original Sine-Wave controller for a really light motorcycle (original frame is from a moped).

I'm aiming at around 30-35MPH / 50-55KPH top speed, and I'll be running at 48V, so that gives me:

• Voltage: 48V
    Nominal power output: 3000W
    Nominal current draw: 62.5A
    Peak output: 6000W (supposedly. I don't expect to go past ~ 4 kW)
    Peak current draw: 125A

I've had some experience with e-bike batteries, so I'd prefer 18650 packs if possible. I found a couple of options that could work.

1. Luna Cycles' 48V / 52V / 60V packs (mainly packs that come wrapped, the shark/dolphin/whale packs have lower current values):

-BMS is rated for 50A continuous and 70A bursts, for 2.4kW and 3.3kW (I think this is acceptable)
-Lots of sizes, capacities and prices to choose from

2. EM3EVs' Rectangle and Triangle packs (25R and 30Q configurations)

-BMS rated for 40A continuous (1.9kW) and 80+A bursts (3.8 kW+) (don't really like the 1.9kW cont, but burst seems ok)
-Maybe I could ask Paul for a BMS with 50A continuous and 80+A burst?
-I have bought from Paul, he's great and stands by his products (highly recommended)

I don't have experience with LiFePo or LiPo batteries, but I found a local vendor that has these SLA ones: 6-DZM-20 12V 20Ah Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery, but I'm not really sure about them. From what I understand, they should be good for about 3C x 20Ah = 60A, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not sure I understand C ratings correctly.

Regarding range, I want around a 35 mi / 50 km range (some calculations are on my main post), but right now I just want to make sure the current draw seems ok.

Are those good options? Anybody have experience with this kind of power/motor/controller?

Thanks for any input!

Back