• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

battery options for my ebike

okmate

10 W
Hi guys i have now completed my build but the battery's have been taken from power boosters and such like so at the moment i have 4x 12v battery's 2x 10ah and 2x 20ah its only for the time being and would like your opinion as to what battery pack you would go for its very heavy at the moment .
I have a lyen 12fet programmable controller with a bmc/mac motor was originally 300w but the internal controller blew so wired phase wires and hall sensor wires
as always this site is the best i couldn't of done it without you guys

Well, depends on what your needs are. Can we assume your lyens 12 fet is set for 40 amps? That rules out using low c rate stuff like pingbattery or scavenged laptop cells.

Cheapest possible thing would be a very very small RC lipo pack from Hobby king, and a stupidly slow 50w RC charger. Good for perhaps 5 mile roundtrips, but better than nada, and upgradeable later to much better chargers, and much larger capacity. Stuck with RC lipo's potential danger, and half the expected lifespan of lifepo4. But you can get rolling on about $200 in initial purchase if cash is that tight. It will cost you in the long run, to set up a really good long range lipo battery and fast charger.

If you have the cash now, go buy a Cellman 16s A123 triangle pack. Nobody has regreted that yet that I heard of. Safer, one plug charging, longer lifespan, good enoough c rate for 40 amps.

Batterys are key, and everyone has their opinion and experiences.

If you live on hills or want want to accelerate quickly you'll need a high C pack, (C > 4)
If you want to go far you'll need at least 10Ah.
If you plan on frequently depleting the pack, recommend headways single cell packs rather than multiple cells/pouches.

Suggest this as a good value:
http://www.evassemble.com/index.php...ducts_id=154&zenid=8ddgnvvfn1anv8ds1fdnujo8g1

With your 40A controller, this should get you 20 miles at about 25-30 mph. However, I'm not sure your 300W motor can take the 40A. May have to limit current with a Cycle Analyst.

Mark

Back