BB gears - test

HAL9000v2.0

10 kW
Not electric but maybe someone will find this interesting...

Hemerschmdit VS Schlumpf VS V-boxx VS G-boxx

all.jpg

I have tested all avilable BB gears. There is one I am still waiting for but it is similar to hammerscmidt, Nicolai b-boxx.
None of above bbs you can mount on "normal" bike frame. Only Hammerschmidt is almost compatible with Expencive DH frames with ISCE 03 and 05 standard. But only if there is no offset.

The schlumpf High-speed-drive.
Best value for the money. It needs specialy made BB but it can be made out of normal L&R tappered 1,375"x24TPI. It is the cheapest of all above but still 500$. Extremly well made and with lifetime guarantee on shifting claws. It shifts between 1:1 and 1:2,54 with built in button. It is quite easy to shift but it can't be done while pedaling.
Extremly simple to install but needs some special tool. (of course available from schlumpf dor cca 50€)

schlumpf.jpg

The Hammerschmidt Truvativ.

It looks like it fell out of space shuttle. Complicated, well made but not so simple and beautifull as schlumpf. 50€ more than schlumpf. The only advantage is that you can realy shift it while you pedaling hard uphill and you hear and feel nothing just you can pedal harder or easier. It shifts by extracting freewheels claws. and basicly fix the sun gear to BB.
It comes with instalation CD. :) and also few hundred pages manual...

hammerschmit-pack1.jpg

hammerschmit-pack2.jpg

hammerschmit.jpg

Nicolai G-boxx
It is rolhoff mounted above pedals. The most expencive one, over 1500€ and I think they dont sell them any more. Great stuff. 14 gears. I didn't get one, just tried one while I was in Germany. I was more impressed then with suspension so I can only tell it works great and shifts whenever and however you want. You can shift all 14 gear s even standing...amaising...

V-boxx
Good stuff. 9 gears. 1200€. shifts good it has freewhell build inside but loud on higher gears. Great gear ratios. only negative thing is 4,5 kg of its weight. and, of course, some pretty imaginative mount standard. It looks great and quite well made, I havent expect that form that factory...

v-boxx.jpg

Conclusion: standard trial cranks with dual freewheel sprocket beat all of them when it comes to RC drive...

Nice set of toys, how did you manage to get hold of everything, I've heard trying to get a single v-boxx is virtually impossible. Actually I think I might have heard this from you!

I am glad to hear your opinon on the different gears and BB reductions, glad I resisted buying one on impulse so far.
Below is a mail from the company I recieved last September, they were available if anyone is interested....

Gerard

Hello Gerard,

you can order the G-Boxx 2 here direct at Universal Transmission for the price of 875€ excl. shiping costs.

Best Regards

Britta Hagen-Nicolai

britta@carbondrive.net

Universal Transmission GmbH
Külftalstr. 18
31093 Lübbrechtsen
Tel. 05185-60266-50
Fax. 05185-957192

www.carbondrive.net
www.carbondrivesystems.com

Back