• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

BBS01/02 - 250w or 350w on lower setting?

C.B.

1 mW
I’m getting a Bafang mid drive you see, and after burning out my old Q100 hub motor there’s an amount of doubt surfacing in my mind with regards to safety margins(heat-wise). Reading about the mid drive, it seems there have been incidents of the controllers conking out when push comes to shove, I.E. when you force them uphill for too long or use a gear ratio not congenial to recommendations saying the motor should be run at a high rev range.

Since my commute to the summer house outside of town involves hills galore, it came to pass that my Q100 overheated beyond easy recovery when I caned it one especially hot day.
I’d rather not see history repeated with my new mid drive. The motor seems like it will be able to handle it(the 750w is the same motor as the 250, right?), but the controller might not be as safe a bet.

Could the solution be that I opt for the more powerful 350 watt version and run it on a lower PAS setting roughly equivalent to 250w?
My guess is that the 350w controller has larger mosfets or something or other, a fact which would translate to an increased margin for overheating when run with the output power truncated thusly.

Am I in the wrong thinking this way?

No, 1000W run at 500W max would be even better

True for batteries, controllers, all electronics across the board.

The specs laid out by manufacturers are **absolute maximum** ratings, designed for marketing purposes, the limits to which the cells or gear can be subjected for short times, without causing immediate irreparable damage.

These are "stress ratings" only, and not recommended for normal functional operating conditions. Regularly operating at these maximum rating conditions for extended periods will always reduce longevity and reliability.

Yes, well the definitions around wattage are rather baffling to begin with. When I started looking into ebikes I assumed that when it said 250 watts, that would be the maximum power it would use. The truth appears to be hovering around twice that power. I mean, I can bloody well read from my display 600+ watts being drawn uphill, while riding alongside my father who has a ”250w” bike from a tried and true brand. Ours have the same acceleration and the same top speed within a tolerance of 1 mph.
250 watts my foot.

Well anyway, I saw the page about programming the BBS and that turned out highly germane with regards to the question of limiting the power. One could simply modulate the max amperage the bugger can use. That’s what(watt) I’ll do!

I’m still right about the mosfets being chunkier the more powerful the controller?

Back