Beginner soldering parts list

Remus

100 W
Hi all,

I've got a Lyen controller with my ebike kit. With 3 pin battery connector
20150922_094520.jpg

I've got a EM3EV battery that has a 6 pin connector.
Pre-charge%20Tail2-500x500.jpg

Paul at EM3EV was very helpful in making me a short adapter cable, that gives me a 6 pin connection on one end for his battery and a 3 pin connection on the other end that works with the Lyen controller connection.
Here's the adapter cable
20150916_102130.jpg

Here's the end of the adapter cable that fits the lyen controller connection.
20150922_094805.jpg

If I want to put my battery in a backpack I'll need to make a cable that can run along the frame between the controller and the adapter cable.

I've never made anything like this before, or done any soldering.

I'd really appreciate a few suggestions and comments about what parts and tools I should buy to do this little part of my ebike build. I'd like to spend as little cash as possible, so wont be buying professional quality tools.

All comments welcome, thanks for helping.

The simplest and most reliable way is to cut the adapter cable in two (at the point with the least number of wires, preferably just two), and splice wire directly in there to lengthen the adapter. You can search for threads on how to solder or splice, using those terms, if you like; there may be an article in the ES wiki (linked in a thread that's linked at the top of each forum).

The second simplest/most reliable way is to make a straight -thru extension for the Anderson end of the adapter. You can search for threads titled (or containing) "Crimp*" and "Anderson" for info on how to put the connectors on, and sources for them and the tools.

I'd like to spend as little cash as possible, so wont be buying professional quality tools.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable

Choose 2. Seeing as you have already chosen cheap I would chose reliable as my second parameter. How long do you want this wire to be?

1. Choose a length of wires that are a larger gauage (numerically lower) than what the current harness has.
2. Clip the current wires in the middle.
3. Splice/solder the wire in and heat shrink the connections.

You will need:

1. Solder
2. Heat shrink tube
3. Soldering Iron
4. Wire cutters/strippers (a knife or scissors can be used by people who know what they are doing, but if you are asking this question, you should probably get the right tools)
5. PRACTICE/KNOWLEDGE - If you create a cold solder and have a high resistance connection it could let the magic smoke out of your controller depending on what kind. You must also make sure the wires are well insulated from each other so you don't dead short your battery.

Back