best way to supplement with human power?

jocoman

1 W
Hi Folks
I have just build a new bike using a HS3540 and a 40 amp controller. It has a thumb throttle a CA and it works fine.
Previous to this build I had a Bionx system. I really like they way it added power based on how hard I pushed the pedal. I could easily controller power and make a battery last a long time. ( Extend range, by supplementing with pedal power.)
Ok this is a stupid question, but what is the easiest way to supplement battery power with human power on my new ride.
I kinda hold the throttle part way and pedal, but I find that uncomfortable. Is there another way? I would like to dial in my assist. That way i can increase the range.
Txs for suggestions.
Jim

Set the cruise control. Then select the proper gear so that you pedal just the amount you want to.

A more comfortable throttle. And practice.
I prefer half twist throttles, they are very comfortable to hold in position for long periods of time, and make minute changes with. you can twist the throttle to where you want it, then relax your hand and hold the throttle in position by gripping both it and the non turning outer grip.

I'm still using the TRIGGER throttle I adapted from a scooter 3 years ago and I love it. I ride at part-throttle most of the time and find it very easy to control the level of motor assist with this throttle. Unfortunately the throttles are no longer available but maybe there's something similar(?????).

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8026&hilit=trigger

Of course the ultimate solution may be Justin's new V3 Cycle Analyst with a torque sensor!

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37964&hilit=torque+sensor#p553304

-R

Would you have a link of a supplier for the half twist throttle you reference.
Sounds like something I could use.
Txs

Half twist and cruise control all the way. Love it. CC really makes the bike feel like you are doing nothing at all but steering it. Ah my dream come true, a bicycle that goes by itself!

But yeah, set the CC and just put it in a gear that gives you some resistance. Same with a normal throttle, just need to pay attention to how much you are giving it. Pedal power is best at slow speeds where the motor is less efficient. I can imagine with a real high power setup that it may be harder to pedal assist it without CC.

Half twist throttle, CC, and 3 position switch. I set the speed in position 1 on the switch to be my average cruising speed, about 20 MPH. That way, when I want to cruze around, I flip the switch into 1, snap the throttle WOT, and hit the CC. If I fall a little behind from another e-biker, I usually lightly pedal to catch back up.

I got my half twist from Lyen.

Whatever the throttle you use, the way to do it is this.

Select a speed with the throttle, then pedal up 1-2 more mph. This works great at the slower, more efficient speeds. At 15 mph, you are only using 200w or so, so when you add your 100w, you are providing 1/3 of your power by human input. Works good up to low 20's mph.

But it works pretty poorly at faster speeds. Say you set your speed at 30 mph. Now pedal up 1 more mph. You are likely using 800-1000w to go 30 mph, so now your 100w makes almost no difference at all. 1/10th of the total. At this point, you may as well faux pedal to keep your ass comfy, and save your effort for a hill. Then on the hill you can do a sprint and add 300w.

Above 25 mph, adding much to your range by pedaling is nearly a joke. At best, you can add about 15% and that would be if you pedal your guts out. Above 30 mph, it is truly a joke.

You can save a ton of power though, by pedal assisting starts and steeper hills. In both cases, you are assisting when wind drag is less and it does some good to pedal.

Bionix has a very good, maybe the best pedal assist system. After riding a Bionix, people are trying to find a similar intuitive mean of control. A very high gear ratio and a torque sensor are necessary to reproduce the Bionix system at a higher power level, and even then the common controllers that we use don't have the software features to compare with the Bionix.

The best alternative is, as was explained previously, to use a half grip throttle. I would add that a very high gear ratio can be achieved with a Schlumpf HS drive or similar planetary drive crank, and that adapting or making your own torque sensor is possible.

Half twist from Ebikes.ca: http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_controllers.php
I take my normal hand grip and cut it in half, rather than using their supplied outer half grip. and of course, grip of your choice for the left side. I find it more comfortable that way.
T-HTwist.jpg

dogman said:
Whatever the throttle you use, the way to do it is this.

Select a speed with the throttle, then pedal up 1-2 more mph. This works great at the slower, more efficient speeds. At 15 mph, you are only using 200w or so, so when you add your 100w, you are providing 1/3 of your power by human input. Works good up to low 20's mph.

But it works pretty poorly at faster speeds. Say you set your speed at 30 mph. Now pedal up 1 more mph. You are likely using 800-1000w to go 30 mph, so now your 100w makes almost no difference at all. 1/10th of the total. At this point, you may as well faux pedal to keep your ass comfy, and save your effort for a hill. Then on the hill you can do a sprint and add 300w.

Above 25 mph, adding much to your range by pedaling is nearly a joke. At best, you can add about 15% and that would be if you pedal your guts out. Above 30 mph, it is truly a joke.

You can save a ton of power though, by pedal assisting starts and steeper hills. In both cases, you are assisting when wind drag is less and it does some good to pedal.

+1

Above 25mph you are better off coasting and tucking in low if you want the best wh/mile.

veloman said:
Half twist and cruise control all the way. Love it. CC really makes the bike feel like you are doing nothing at all but steering it. Ah my dream come true, a bicycle that goes by itself!

The reason most people prefer twist throttles over thumb throttles is that your thumb and forearm doesn't get sore. That only happens when you're new to using a thumb throttle since those are muscle and ligaments that aren't normally used. Wearing a Crafter's Thumb Glove solves that. It gets to a point when you can stop wearing the thumb glove. My thumb and forearm doesn't hurt at all anymore. I like the thumb throttle.

I've been using a thumb throttle for many years now on my trikes but it is in the vertical bars so it is in a more natural position. For horizontal bars it does take practice to build up thumb muscles.
otherDoc

Thanks everyone!
That was a ton of very useful information.
Much appreciated. What a great forum!!!!
Regards

I edited this posting... I should have searched on pedelec before posting. There are lots of posts about them. It appears that they can be problematic, unreliable and reduce power (according to other postings). I was really hoping they would be the answer to my dilemma and that of the poster of this thread...

Quote from ebike.ca on their sensor: "There is an optional pedalec accessory that mounts to the bicycle cranks and disables the throttle unless the rider is pedaling. This allows for compliance with regulations in Europe and other areas where this restriction is a legal requirement. As well, it can be combined with a throttle turn-knob that allows you to set the assistance level and have the ebike engage automatically as soon as you pedal, without needing to keep your hand on a throttle all the time."

From another thread on this site: http://factory.dhgate.com/electric-bicycle/pedelec-power-system-p40930384.html

It would be good to know which torque sensor is the most reliable and also compatible.

Back