BH Easy Motion Neo Jumper 2013

marcn

100 W
Hi everyone. Saw the Neo Jumper promo vids on youtube. Very little information on them other then the spec sheet on the BH website. Probably because they haven't officially been released yet.

http://www.bhbikes.com/web/en/easy-motion-ebikes/neo-mtb/neo-jumper.html

Does anyone have any info on them? They look great!

579645_506411846055486_1696013901_n.jpg

Looking at the picture, it looks like the same battery and motor as the rest of the Neo range, so, performance-wise it should be similar. They have the BPM2 motor which is a good climber and capable of giving a lot more power than what the present Neos are set to. I haven't measured one, but I'd guess they've got 20 amp controllers at 36v.

The Jumper is a bit different from most of the other models offering 30 speed gearing and a Suntour Epicon Lord 120 rear shock. If you don't intend to do much off-road riding I would recommend going with a hard tail, you'll save a bit of money and the full suspension usually serves better in the trails, as you can loose pedaling energy into the suspension. The Jumper is capable of locking the front and rear suspension though, so that is something to take into consideration. I'm very familiar with the Easy Motion bikes so feel free to reach out, also their staff is extremely helpful as well so don't be afraid to contact them. They actually just released a US based site at http://easymotionusa.com

Hi Chris,
I’ve come across your blog comments here and also previewed your website, and I’ve come to the conclusion that you are the man to talk to about BH electric bikes. Just a bit of background first.
I live in New Zealand, which, if you haven’t been there, is regarded as a bit of a nirvana for mountain bikers. All the more so after the current government figured that it was a good bet for tourism investment, so decided 4 years ago, to jump in boots and all and invest heavily in mountain bike trail infrastructure. The result is still coming to fruition but it is quite remarkable and most Kiwis just don’t see the asset that has been literally dumped at their doorstep. You can read about it here:
http://nzbybike.com/
and here:
http://www.nzcycletrail.com/
and also get a taste of a recently ( 2 months ago) officially opened trail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP6JgRhBROw

Now I’ve just turned 60, and stay in pretty good shape, although I haven’t thrown a leg over a mountain bike for about 10 years. I’m conscious these days of overdoing exertion at my age and the last thing I need is a medivac out of dense bush on a respirator. The leaps and bounds that e bikes have made in the last couple of years has led me to believe that this could be the future for biking in the burgeoning demographic of baby boomers, many whom like myself see the attraction of hitting the trails but hesitate at the visions of spewing ones guts out at the top of a long climb, or on a lesser note, running out of breath half way up and wondering if the chopper can get in through the low overcast!
When I came across the BH easy motions, and especially the Neo Jumper I thought this might just be the ticket for a future pastime. My goal is to do all of the great rides on the list, on an Neo Easy motion, but first I need to do my research. I can’t find a BH distributor in New Zealand, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there, even it means importing a bike from an overseas source.
I have cut and pasted some text below. It represents the ride notes for probably the hardest of the tracks especially due to it’s long initial climb. I have edited the notes and converted the distances to miles for you. Overall it is about a 50 mile track with an initial climb to 3000ft over 10 miles. That is the part that concerns me most and how much of a battery drain it would be. On this track there’s no chance to re charge batteries, so I would be carrying one spare.

I would really appreciate your opinion on the Neo Jumper’s ability to tackle these trails, and I am envisaging doing these with a spare battery in my back pack. I weigh in at a trim 69Kg ( 152lbs) which would probably work to my advantage. I figured I wouldn’t do more than about 80Km ( 50 miles) per day, and on the longer trails over 300Km (186 miles, ) that would allow me to split the trips up to 2 -3 days and get to overnight accommodation with electricity. Many of these trails are in remote country that is off the national grid, so one has to plan ahead.
Finally it’s marvelous to see your commitment to the ebike concept. I think, like myself, a light turned on when you started to dig deeper. Over the years my intuition has been pretty spot on in other ideas and concepts around my job and I’m thinking this time it’ll be not far off the mark as well.

All the best in your business venture and a happy new year…

Steve

Here are the notes:………………………..

The Heapy Track
Brown Hut to Perry Saddle Hut
Distance: 17.5 km 10.8 MILES ( climbs to about 3000ft)
The Heaphy Track starts with a climb through dense Beech forest to the Perry Saddle. While the climb is gentle, it’s also persistent! A great way to get your legs warmed up for the coming days of riding. From the Brown Hut, you’ll head upstream about 200 metres (218 Yards) before crossing a bridge over the Brown River and finding the track that leads up and into the bush. You’ll have some great views towards the top of the Aorere Valley stretching northwards. On a clear day, it’s possible to see Mt Taranaki on the North Island. Just before the Perry Saddle Hut, a track leads to a viewpoint at Flanagans Corner – this is the highest point of the track at 915 metres. ( 3000 FEET)

Perry Saddle to Saxon Hut
Distance: 12.4 kms 7.7 MILES ( down hill/flat)
From the Perry Saddle, you’ll pass through tussock and more patches of beech forest. It’s a quick cruisy downhill on a quad bike track to Gouland Downs. The valley will begin to widen and reveal the open downs stretching out to the west. Gouland Downs Hut has 8 bunks and a massive open fireplace for those that decide to spend the night here.Continuing on to Saxton Hut (another 5kms), it’s generally flat as you pass the northern part of Gouland downs with its tussock and winding riverbeds. Saxon Hut, which sleeps 16, is the newest on the track and is named after John Saxon, who surveyed the track in 1886.

Saxon Hut to James Mackay Hut
Distance: 11.8 km 7.3 MILES (flat and then a 300ft climb)
After leaving the Saxton Hut, the track drops to grassy flats beside the Saxton River before starting a groomed single track climb. You’ll pass a ridge which joins the Gouland Downs and the Mackay Downs and marks the boundary between the Nelson Region and the West Coast.
James Mackay Hut to Lewis Hut
Distance: 12.5 km time 7.7 MILES ( downhill/ flat)
The track leaves the Mackay Hut and you’re greeted with an invigorating and slightly technical downhill to the Lewis Hutt. A couple things to remember here – first, the Heaphy Track is still shared with trampers so avoid the urge to really let loose. This section of the track is also prone to getting sloppy and bogged down, NZbyBike recommends you walk your bike if it’s too soft to protect the trail so bikers can use it for years to come.
As you pass through beech forest you’ll make your way down to the Heaphy River. The beech forest gives way to thicker bush which is more typical of the West Coast. Along the track you’re greeted with glimpses of the Heaphy River before reaching the junction of the Lewis River where you’ll find a hut of the same name.

Lewis Hut to Heaphy Hut
Distance: 8 km 4.9 MILES ( flat)
You’ll get your fair share of swing bridges on the ride from Lewis Hut to the Heaphy Hut. When you leave the Lewis Hut, head back up the track for a short distance to a junction - turn left here and ride over a ridge to a bridge which crosses the Lewis River. Follow the right bank of the Heaphy River to another bridge. The track crosses the Heaphy here and continues along the left bank to the river mouth at the Tasman Sea. You’ll ride through a forest of kahikatea, rimu and rata and really being to feel like you’re on the West Coast. The sounds of the Tasman Sea get louder as you pass more and more nikau palms and eventually arrive at the Heaphy Hut which sleeps 28.
Heaphy Hut to Kohaihai River Mouth
Distance: 16.2 km 10 MILES ( flat with a last 300ft climb)
This is arguably one of the most stunning sections of the trail. As you leave the Heaphy Hut, the track weaves through nikau palms with native West Coast bush on one side and the roaring Tasman Sea on the other.
Some of the small streams you’ll pass are not bridged and can be dangerous after heavy rain. Also beyond Katipo Creek is Crayfish (Koura) Point. There is no high tide track and it can be impassable two hours or so either side of high tide – especially when sea conditions are rough. Check tide tables in the Heaphy Hut or Kohaihai Shelter before proceeding over this section.After you pass Scotts Beach, there is one last small climb to Kohaihai Saddle before winding down through the Heaphy Track’s finish at the Kohaihai River.

Hello Steve,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. I was on vacation and I am just catching up on things. It sounds like a lot of fun on those trails, I hope I get a chance to check them out if I am ever in town (New Zealand is on my bucket list). I don't doubt these bikes can handle the terrain, as they are built to the same specs high performance mountain bikes, as all of the components match up too. The only thing is, toting the battery around on your back could become a bit of a chore as I believe it weighs about 10lbs, I guess it's not too bad though, fortunately the batteries charge up rather quickly though. The only other thing you might want to invest in some fenders, but for your purposes, I feel the Jumper would be the ideal bike.

There is another alternative as well, being Stealth and I believe there are dealers in New Zealand, but that is a very different type of bike. You will have more of the standard mountain bike feel with Easy Motion, while not drawing too much attention to yourself with the looks, being the battery is integrated into the frame, pretty securely I might add, given the application.

Feel free to call or email me with any further questions. Best, Chris info@longislandelectricbikes.com or 631-306-4542

Bad news on my Jumper, both wheels out of true, front disc warped, they had installed 2-3/8" riser Renthal bars for me and did not send the bushings to mount them…one of the front caliper bolts was MIA…got it together as I have almost everything to fix anything being an old roughneck…great bike, the 350w motor out pulls the Prodeco 500w motor I have, the Jumper is extremely light compared to the Prodeco Phantom X, the handling/stability is so much better, and the weight being lower on the frame is immediately noticeable…
Will get the rims trued up and correct bushings in the handlebars this week, headed out for a ride tomorrow at Glen Rose, Texas, Dinosaur Valley State Park:

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/texas-trails/texas-dallas/trail/dinosaur-valley-state-park/prd_170467_4581crx.aspx

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/dinosaur-valley

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4503_094r.pdf

Back